5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to replace oem tires

Jeffnludlow

Reaction score
Man do I have questions. Shopping new shoes for my '19 1500. Stock are Goodyear fortitude ht 275/65 18. Debating LT (e load range) and AT tires. Should I consider changing tire size as well? 265 or 285 wide or 60 or 70 aspect? Mostly I drive highway but want better off road capability and to tow travel trailer or slidein camper. It's a daily driver and fuel efficiency and ride are also a consideration. Research has me considering Cooper Discoverer at3 in p, lt, or ltx; Falken wildpeak at 3w; and lastly, bfg at ko2. Does tire weight need considering? Any thoughts?

Zemlyak

Reaction score
Nobody ill respond unless you are getting exsotic sizes and expensive rims etc on some crazy lifts...

Nels

Reaction score
Very open ended questions. I went through this same ordeal a year ago. I researched. Read a ton on this forum, then came to the forum with more specific questions. You're pretty early in the process. Tough to offer much of reply without your asking something more specific. Just my advise based on a similar experience.

2021QCBH

Reaction score
No input here for off road tires but how many miles did you get out of your stock set? Same as factory shoes on my truck.
Thanks.

BNJMN

Reaction score
What state are you in? Whenever I buy I rely heavily on tire rack test data and consumer reviews; pick a top 3 tire that meets your requirements and then make sure the reviews are tons of miles. I wouldn't mess with different sizing, but would go LT if you are towing. Personally haven't tried it on a truck yet, but on my wife's SUV's we have moved to all season with the 3PMSF ( 3 peak mountain snow flake) symbol for here in Michigan. Good winter traction, not loud and no longer swapping to winter specific tires. Goodyear assurance weatherready installed by blaine's farm and fleet was my latest purchase.

Einstein376

Reaction score
I am in the same boat, switching out the OEM’s before the snow arrives as I’m not dealing with terrible tires for another Michigan winter.

I decided on Michelin Defenders LTX M/S. Costco currently is offering $150 off a set and installed they are under $900.

Jim

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the same boat, switching out the OEM’s before the snow arrives as I’m not dealing with terrible tires for another Michigan winter.

I decided on Michelin Defenders LTX M/S. Costco currently is offering $150 off a set and installed they are under $900.

Jim
THAT is a great price. I have same tires...

FirstimeRAM

Reaction score
Man do I have questions. Shopping new shoes for my '19 1500. Stock are Goodyear fortitude ht 275/65 18. Debating LT (e load range) and AT tires. Should I consider changing tire size as well? 265 or 285 wide or 60 or 70 aspect? Mostly I drive highway but want better off road capability and to tow travel trailer or slidein camper. It's a daily driver and fuel efficiency and ride are also a consideration. Research has me considering Cooper Discoverer at3 in p, lt, or ltx; Falken wildpeak at 3w; and lastly, bfg at ko2. Does tire weight need considering? Any thoughts?
Yes tire wt makes a difference, the heavier the tire the harder the ride, and the more it impacts MPG. I'm replacing my stock 275/55/r20 with Toyo 295/55/R20 on my stock rims. I am assuming my gas mileage will drop from 16mpg to around 13mpg and the ride will feel more like a truck and less like a caddy. LOL On the bright side, I have another full set of 2020 Ram 1500 limited wheels and tires with new stock tires on them that I bought from someone that was lifting his truck for $600. I plan on switching back to those for spring, summer and fall. I was contemplating getting AT's but the reason I am getting them is so i can go off road into the snow, didn't make sense to go half ***, so I'll put up with the ride, noise and MPG difference for 3 months out of the year.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yes tire wt makes a difference, the heavier the tire the harder the ride, and the more it impacts MPG. I'm replacing my stock 275/55/r20 with Toyo 295/55/R20 on my stock rims. I am assuming my gas mileage will drop from 16mpg to around 13mpg and the ride will feel more like a truck and less like a caddy. LOL On the bright side, I have another full set of 2020 Ram 1500 limited wheels and tires with new stock tires on them that I bought from someone that was lifting his truck for $600. I plan on switching back to those for spring, summer and fall. I was contemplating getting AT's but the reason I am getting them is so i can go off road into the snow, didn't make sense to go half ***, so I'll put up with the ride, noise and MPG difference for 3 months out of the year.
Your mileage will drop by that much if you go to an LT tire. If you can find an XL tire in that size, your mileage and ride will not take such a big hit. That was a priority for me when I bumped my tire size up to a 305/55x20. My mpg's are only down by about 1 mpg and I still have the Cadillac-type ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/