5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to change my own oil

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The dealership is charging 120.00 for an oil change now. I felt like Fred Sanford calling out to Elizabeth.

View attachment 185533
I recently bought five MO-339 filters and three 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum synthetic for that amount.😲
Not even on sale.
On sale you can easily do three oil changes for $120.
I’m retired now so my labor is cheap. Makes no sense for me to pay somebody else to do an oil change.

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score
I recently bought five MO-339 filters and three 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil Ultimate Platinum synthetic for that amount.😲
Not even on sale.
On sale you can easily do three oil changes for $120.
I’m retired now so my labor is cheap. Makes no sense for me to pay somebody else to do an oil change.
I normally use a coupon that's 3 for 99.00, but the computers were down.

Tinscrew

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think I’ll do the same. Have we as a community settled on the gold standard(s) for the 5.7 HEMI in terms of filter and oil brand/type and process?

For oil filters, I’ve seen many suggest the MO-339 as Dewey does above. I’ve also seen bproauto oil filters mentioned. Just a personal preference?

For oil I’ve read 5w-20 and 0w-20 - and Pennzoil platinum full synthetic (mentioned above too).

Lastly re: process, If you are using some kind of cool contraption to catch and route the oil drain to its final destination, share that too.

Dewey

Reaction score
I think I’ll do the same. Have we as a community settled on the gold standard(s) for the 5.7 HEMI in terms of filter and oil brand/type and process?

For oil filters, I’ve seen many suggest the MO-339 as Dewey does above. I’ve also seen bproauto oil filters mentioned. Just a personal preference?

For oil I’ve read 5w-20 and 0w-20 - and Pennzoil platinum full synthetic (mentioned above too).

Lastly re: process, If you are using some kind of cool contraption to catch and route the oil drain to its final destination, share that too.
Fumoto drain valve with drain hose to replace the stock plug and XL Oil Udder with hose to remove the filter. Everything feeds to my 5 gallon waste oil jug and barely a drop lost.

Took these pics yesterday.

IMG_2866.jpeg
IMG_2867.jpeg
IMG_0225.jpeg
IMG_0217.jpeg
After the filter is unscrewed I carefully turn it over in the Udder to drain the excess oil out or some will spill when trying to get both out of the tight spot.

Only mess I have is cleaning up the drain hoses when done. I have a small drain pan to drop them in when done to wipe off later. Much better than the alternative. Works great for me.

Last edited:

Tinscrew

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Fumoto drain valve with drain hose to replace the stock plug and XL Oil Udder with hose to remove the filter. Everything feeds to my 5 gallon waste oil jug and barely a drop lost.

View attachment 185546
View attachment 185547
View attachment 185548
View attachment 185549
After the filter is unscrewed I carefully turn it over in the Udder to drain the excess oil out or some will spill when trying to get both out of the tight spot.

Only mess I have is cleaning up the drain hoses when done. I have a small drain pan to drop them in when done to wipe off later. Much better than the alternative. Works great for me.
What a nice set-up, Dewey. Thanks for the tip. I am gonna take a page from your book.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 185546
View attachment 185547
View attachment 185548
View attachment 185549

Where did u get the tube for the oil udder? I have the xl as well and for the life of me can’t get it to attach/ fit onto the filter

Dewey

Reaction score
Where did u get the tube for the oil udder? I have the xl as well and for the life of me can’t get it to attach/ fit onto the filter
I bought the tube extra from Oil Udder but really any tube the same id will work and likely will be cheaper.
As far as the Udder fitting on the filter I don’t bother with that. I use it like a funnel to collect the oil and catch the filter when I get to the end of the threads. The extra space with the XL is nice because you don’t want the filter touching the top edges of or will run down the outside of the Udder.

Users who are viewing this thread