5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time Sitting in the Rail yard

ericd

Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering. Typically how long will a vehicle sit at the rail yard before being delivered to the dealership?

Thanks in advance

TimG

Reaction score
Mine sat there for about 10 days if I remember correctly. I know it seemed like forever!

Bdhays63

Reaction score
Are you waiting for an order or worried about rail dust? My truck had an April build date but wasn’t even on the dealers main lot when I bought it September 26th. It was still in transport wrap in the back. I have a bottle of Iron-X on the way for when I give it its first proper detail. Stuff is supposed to remove the rail dust from the paint. Then I’ll clay bar it and wax it.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
As I recall mine was about two weeks. Its torture !!!

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
All I know is that mine is on the slowest train that ever existed. Taking two days to go across a state.

ericd

Reaction score
Are you waiting for an order or worried about rail dust? My truck had an April build date but wasn’t even on the dealers main lot when I bought it September 26th. It was still in transport wrap in the back. I have a bottle of Iron-X on the way for when I give it its first proper detail. Stuff is supposed to remove the rail dust from the paint. Then I’ll clay bar it and wax it.
I’m not too worried about the detailing. I just want my order ASAP lol

Icecold77

Reaction score
Mine took about 2 weeks from finish build to dealer delivery (in Pa).. sat in the yard for 10ish days.. sucks to wait! Just remember a train doesn't roll for 1 truck!! They move when loaded. It will come in filthy to the dealership.. I don't even let my dealer detail them.... I drive them home, pull off the plastic wrap, and detail myself!

U-235

Reaction score
Mine waited about 4 days to get on the train, then another 4 to get unloaded in Missouri.

ericd

Reaction score
Yea mine has already been at the holding lot since last week just waiting for the dealership to pick it up/get delivered. The funny thing is the holding lot 2 min from my office, but the dealership is 90 min away. Wish they could just delivery it locally.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’m not too worried about the detailing. I just want my order ASAP lol
Even then, I would be ready with a bottle of IronX or similar and spray it on the paint to remove fallout. Use clay bar afterwards if necessary.
Good preventive measure.

Cheers,

wthomps79

Reaction score
Mine sat at the rail yard for only 3-4 days. It was built on the 20th, moved to the rail yard on the 21st, and somewhere between the tracking sheet update on the 22nd and the update today it got on a train and is currently in Burdick, IN.

I'm not sure how the auto industry does it to where they have the trains already lined up for a given set of VIN numbers before production or if they just start pulling trucks from the lot as a train shows up. I know in the ag industry they have the rail cars at the plant and load equipment on as it is built and then order a train for the day that the last piece of equipment gets loaded. The factory knows the exact ship date of each piece of equipment before it is even built. Only thing is they are dealing with much lower production numbers.

Couchsachraga

Reaction score
About 2 weeks... then another week between time on the train, waiting for a truck, and heading to the dealer. 89 days total from order (some waited MUCH longer)

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
My truck has been unloaded at the final railhead since Wednesday around noon (3 days). The wait for it to get to the dealership is killing me. I was able to wait patiently (ordered 7/30) until the truck was about halfway here on the train, and then the floodgates opened and I've been antsy ever since. Dealership told me it'd probably be dropped off Thursday, so it's not looking like I'll take delivery this week. D@m^.

RichRios

Reaction score
FYI
If it’s seating waiting for a truck to take it to the dealer. Call your dealer and say why is my truck seating waiting for transport. I did and my dealer says they put it on hold because they had no room at the dealer for anymore trucks and wanted to clear room before requesting the truck to be delivered. I told them if the truck wasn’t there by Saturday morning I didn’t want it and this was Thursday. The truck was there Friday afternoon. So the dealer seems to have input on when the carrier will bring the truck. I would call your dealer right away. My truck was waiting for 10 days before I called and if I called sooner I wouldn’t had to wait the 10 days.

tcw3628

Reaction score
FYI
If it’s seating waiting for a truck to take it to the dealer. Call your dealer and say why is my truck seating waiting for transport. I did and my dealer says they put it on hold because they had no room at the dealer for anymore trucks and wanted to clear room before requesting the truck to be delivered. I told them if the truck wasn’t there by Saturday morning I didn’t want it and this was Thursday. The truck was there Friday afternoon. So the dealer seems to have input on when the carrier will bring the truck. I would call your dealer right away. My truck was waiting for 10 days before I called and if I called sooner I wouldn’t had to wait the 10 days.
Waiting on a sold truck seems like a bad dealer. No excuse for that.

MrHankbot

I AM A ROBOT
Reaction score
FYI

Dealer did call, they supposedly were told by the trucking company it was to be delivered Thursday or Friday, and the trucking company didn't follow through for whatever reason.

I'm a wise enough man to realize that there's a lot of players involved in the hand off, and I'm sure that the fact that it's moving from train to truck limits the control any one person or business has to speed the process without the help of the rest.

It just goes to show that the estimates of a 7-10 wait from the railhead to the dealer are probably pretty close to the average.

Sure doesn't make twiddling my thumbs any easier knowing my estimates for every phase of build to delivery were closer than the dealers.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
Mine sat at the rail yard for almost 4 weeks....and that yard was only 3 hours away from my dealership.

Cqd24

Reaction score
Mines been sitting 45 minutes away for 6 days now. Hoping it comes in this week before a work trip on Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread