5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timbrens

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For this that bought the Timbrens, which kit did you order? The one kit seems to be a bit more adjustable. I would prefer to have more clearance from the axle than a 1/2 inch for when going over speed bumps or hitting pot holes while not hauling or towing.

davisenvy

Reaction score
Take a look a Sumo Springs before you pull the trigger in some Timbrens. I have had both and found the Timbrens to ride rough, especially when you are unloaded. The Sumo Springs gave a much better ride when unloaded and worked great when loaded. Sorry I couldn't answer your question, just wanted to share my experience.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
DRTT1500 is what I bought. I agree with the statement above ^^. While my truck never squats or rides nose high loaded, it feels like bottoming out in the rear on medium bumps. I deal with it as it doesn't bother me too much, but it definitely takes the luxury ride away compared to the stock bumpers. Never heard of SumoSprings! Wish I had before I bought the Timbrens, just to compare/contrast.

With the Timbrens, yeah, I believe you can take a spacer out to give more clearance to the axle. I haven't done that, but I could just to give you another point of view.

Last edited:

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The DRTT1500 kit doesn’t look like it will leave enough gap between the Timbrens and the axle, 1/2” or so would be my guess. You need at least 2“ IMO to keep a more luxury ride

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve got about 1.25 - 1.5” clearance without removing the rubber spacer.

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Sure. I’ll take a few. The ride is fine loaded, can’t tell they’re back there. But, unloaded, if you ride over raised railroad tracks, speed bump, decent bump on the highway, you’ll feel them engage which is a bit jarring. But, I deal with it as I prefer to have the help with a loaded bed or trailer attached. Looks like you can take maybe an inch off them with the removal of the rubber spacer. I’ll try that too just for fun. They’re relatively easy to pop in and out.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I go Timbrens that is what I wanted to know if I could do. If I could get the gap between 2-3” it would make the ride unloaded more like stock. At least that’s my assumption

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like original stops have about 3 1/2 to 4” gap. Would you say that’s about right?

Lil'Mike

Reaction score
Looks like original stops have about 3 1/2 to 4” gap. Would you say that’s about right?
Yeah, the stock bumpers are 3.5” tall. The stock gap is around 3.5” to the axle from what I can estimate.

Last edited:

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interested in this topic as well. Trying to decide between timbrens, sumo springs, or air bags after I level my truck.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interested in this topic as well. Trying to decide between timbrens, sumo springs, or air bags after I level my truck.

From my understanding:
- air bags give you the most flexibility, but you need to have at least 5 psi at all times, thereby changing (forever) the ride quality while unloaded (firming it up). They also can blow (expensive).
- timbrens work well, but can be rough when unloaded as they engage sooner then sumo springs and are less "progressive". But they are "install and forget", requiring no maintenance and nothing really wears out.
- sumo springs seem to give the best compromise between unloaded and loaded. They are also progressive, but seem to engage softer so you don't notice that initial "hit" when they touch and your truck is unloaded. Like the timbrens, there is nothing to maintain.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I’ve got about 1.25 - 1.5” clearance without removing the rubber spacer.
From my understanding:
- air bags give you the most flexibility, but you need to have at least 5 psi at all times, thereby changing (forever) the ride quality while unloaded (firming it up). They also can blow (expensive).
- timbrens work well, but can be rough when unloaded as they engage sooner then sumo springs and are less "progressive". But they are "install and forget", requiring no maintenance and nothing really wears out.
- sumo springs seem to give the best compromise between unloaded and loaded. They are also progressive, but seem to engage softer so you don't notice that initial "hit" when they touch and your truck is unloaded. Like the timbrens, there is nothing to maintain.

Do you have sumo’s? If so what color did you go with? If I do sumo’s I am thinking black.

silver billet

Reaction score
Do you have sumo’s? If so what color did you go with? If I do sumo’s I am thinking black.
I don't, yet, I can't remember which one is which (in terms of color and stiffness) but I don't intend to go to stiff, in my view they should be there to just be assisting the suspension, not trying to do all the work itself.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Blue is softest, black is in the middle and yellow is the stiffest. Since these are also supposed to assist with sway, is there any reason to upgrade the rear sway bar?

silver billet

Reaction score
An upgraded swaybar like the hellwig which is quite popular here, that has an effect even when the truck is unloaded. These sumo springs can only affect sway when there is enough load to make them contact the frame. Not sure if you need both, but I do have the the Hellwig currently set in the middle position,

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmmm. My main reason for wanting the sumo’s and possibly a hellwig is that I am looking at travel trailers and want to get my truck ready for the purchase.

silver billet

Reaction score
Hmmmm. My main reason for wanting the sumo’s and possibly a hellwig is that I am looking at travel trailers and want to get my truck ready for the purchase.

The hellwig is cheap and adjustable, so I don't think you can really go wrong with that. You can always put it on the farthest setting to make it almost as soft as factory. I will be towing within a few weeks for the first time getting the hellwig installed, but don't have much experience towing in this truck using the factory so going to be hard to make a firm comparison.

I do remember being concerned by the amount of "squishyness" I found, whether that was up and down (shocks) or side to side (sway bar) or just too much sidewall in the tires, I'm hoping to correct it by doing improvements to all 3 possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread