5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Timbren SES towing Helper

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going timbren also, just want to know how they will work with the off road package.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
I have off-road package also. I have the timbrens, but haven't installed them yet. Hoping the spacing isn't too much with higher ride height. If it warms up this weekend I'll get them installed.

Booch

Reaction score
I'll be curious about the opinions on these. I had the 2500 set on my 2500 after I went to Thuren springs, and hated them. They hit really hard when empty, and with a 7,000lb camper were uncomfortable, rough, and bouncy. Hopefully the 1500's set has a little more progressive feel for you all.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
I'll be curious about the opinions on these. I had the 2500 set on my 2500 after I went to Thuren springs, and hated them. They hit really hard when empty, and with a 7,000lb camper were uncomfortable, rough, and bouncy. Hopefully the 1500's set has a little more progressive feel for you all.
That's really good to know - I was wondering if they were as you described. I'll get them on and see how it performs. The HD air bags that go into the spring were good because you can let nearly all of the air out them when you aren't towing. I'll post once I've got them installed. On a side note I had no idea the off-road package was a stiff as it is.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck stayed pretty level with the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System and the confidence in towing was night & day. The truck handled and pulled much better especially when going over bridges and overpasses that would rock the truck and trailer.

I would highly recommend this setup for those who are wanting a lower cost solution without having to purchase and airbag system. I have been pleased with this purchase. (y)

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The truck stayed pretty level with the Timbren Suspension Enhancement System and the confidence in towing was night & day. The truck handled and pulled much better especially when going over bridges and overpasses that would rock the truck and trailer.

I would highly recommend this setup for those who are wanting a lower cost solution without having to purchase and airbag system. I have been pleased with this purchase. (y)

Just curious.....how much does your trailer weigh??

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rented a Grand Design Imagine it was 5500 lbs. unloaded with empty tanks however the fresh water 30 gallon tank was filled when I picked it up adding an additional 250 lbs. The hitch weight is rated at 515 lbs. from the manufacturer and the trailer length is 28 ft.

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
Well I finally got mine installed - yes about a few months late. I have a 5600 lb 24' trailer and it was pretty sweet w the Timbrens. Very stable and nothing was swaying or anything else and they handled the bumps really well. I love them when towing. The problem is when you aren't towing you can really feel them when you hit bumps on the highway. I think the Timbrens are better than the spring inserted air bags when towing but as pointed out you can't drop the air out of them when you aren't towing. I think they'll loosen up a bit more as I tow more. The install was a snap took about 20 minutes.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate my Timbrens, taking them out. Rough ride in these Michigan roads when towing, feels like I am in a boat. Selling them and adding timber groves with an airlift compressor set up.

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran them on my '20. But it had the ORG. So, the space was about 1.5" between the axle pad and Timbren spring when unloaded. Ride was fine unless I hit big bumps in the road that really cycled the suspension. While towing they are amazing. Truck would ride smooth like a car with a 24' enclosed trailer loaded down.

On a non-ORG truck like I have now, I would expect the unloaded ride to be rougher due to more contact between the Timbren spring and axle perch. I still have my Timbrens in a box, along with a Motofab lift, so I may throw it all on the truck this weekend.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hate my Timbrens, taking them out. Rough ride in these Michigan roads when towing, feels like I am in a boat. Selling them and adding timber groves with an airlift compressor set up.
I have Sumosprings with the included and generic instruction, required-on-all, 1" spacer, which should have been softer on my ORP sprung truck. The sumo bumps are about 1/4" ENGAGED at unloaded ride height, and with Michigan roads, they will have to come out. I may turn off half the diameter of the first ring of urethane to soften them, but not much feedback on how much to trim really makes this a crapshoot. I will probably switch to Air Lift 1000 bags next year. I will say, these being engaged all the time, towing was significantly better, almost as good as a stock leaf spring truck. Too bad, I had these on my previous GMC and thought they were a most excellent zero maintenance solution.

Users who are viewing this thread