5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TIL U.K. Gallons vs U.S Gallons .......WTF

spywiz

Reaction score
The imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon. The gallon is commonly used to measure volumes of fuel for vehicles. WTF? No wonder my tank is never correct when I calculate. My ECU says that my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited is reading in U.K. Gallons.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The imperial gallon is 20% larger than the US gallon. The gallon is commonly used to measure volumes of fuel for vehicles. WTF? No wonder my tank is never correct when I calculate. My ECU says that my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited is reading in U.K. Gallons.
Are you in Canada? Someone just caught the fact the other day, the optional 33 gallon tank in Canada is listed as 27.4 gallons, which is the UK equivalent. Maybe you need to have it reset. Dealer, or AlphaOBD.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Are you in Canada? Someone just caught the fact the other day, the optional 36 gallon tank in Canada is listed as 27.3 gallons, which is the UK equivalent. Maybe you need to have it reset. Dealer, or AlphaOBD.
There is no 36 gallon tank.
Canada gets differnet parts then USA. Canada can get a 124.9 Litre tank (which it also clearly states is 27.4 gallons [imperial since it's not USA]) vs 33 gallon (regular) in USA.

What do you mean it is never correct?
Mine in USA is almost dead on (I get .3 mpg higher then the computer says every fill-up like clockwork)

silver billet

Reaction score
Canada gets differnet parts then USA. Canada can get a 124.9 Litre tank (which it also clearly states is 27.4 gallons [imperial since it's not USA]) vs 33 gallon (regular) in USA.
I'm pretty sure both Canada and US get the same physical 26 and 33 gallon tank. There is just some mistakes on the website listing what the correct size is, based on conversion errors.

Mine in USA is almost dead on (I get .3 mpg higher then the computer says every fill-up like clockwork)

He's saying his truck reports his MPG in UK gallons, which means it will always read as far better MPG than it would when reading with US gallons. The UK gallon is bigger, you can drive more miles per gallon when your gallon is bigger.

That's also (partly) why it seems European cars get better MPG than American cars. We're using different gallons. They do have tiny little lawn mower engines though, 1.x liters are not at all uncommon there.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I wouldn't call .3 MPG difference "dead on" and every truck will be different. Unless zim doing long highway drives, mine is almost always .5-1mpg different when calculating vs displayed. I've seen as much as 1.5 MPG difference. And the EVIC display is always better than actual.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure both Canada and US get the same physical 26 and 33 gallon tank. There is just some mistakes on the website listing what the correct size is, based on conversion errors.

He's saying his truck reports his MPG in UK gallons, which means it will always read as far better MPG than it would when reading with US gallons. The UK gallon is bigger, you can drive more miles per gallon when your gallon is bigger.

That's also (partly) why it seems European cars get better MPG than American cars. We're using different gallons. They do have tiny little lawn mower engines though, 1.x liters are not at all uncommon there.
They don't get the same tank. There is no conversion.
1679155070252.png
I'm not sure what he means UK gallons. If he is in Canada they don't use US gallons. If\when OP responds with more information we can any idea what he is actually trying to say any maybe help him change with Alfaobd.
I wouldn't call .3 MPG difference "dead on" and every truck will be different. Unless zim doing long highway drives, mine is almost always .5-1mpg different when calculating vs displayed. I've seen as much as 1.5 MPG difference. And the EVIC display is always better than actual.
We are talking about a 1-2% difference in what my screen shows vs my actual. That is dead on to me.
I don't do much city driving and when I do I don't sit at stop lights or traffic so i'm not wasting gas hanging around.

The screen always shows i'm getting .3 mpg WORSE then what I actually get.
I have a 33 gallon tank, and I only get gas if I am under 1/8th of a tank. Generally between 27-30 gallons each time I fill so a decent sample size.
I also reset my trip b each time to use for each tank of gas.

In prior cars\trucks my computer always shows much better numbers then the auctual, sometimes as big a difference as 3MPG on a full tank but generally 1-2mpg difference, screen showing better then actual.

This truck shows the most accurate so far, but obviously don't relay on it...

silver billet

Reaction score
They don't get the same tank. There is no conversion.
View attachment 154828

That's probably just the website. I can't imagine Ram actually goes through all that trouble to give us Canadians a tank that is off by 1 gallon from the US trucks. It would be a factory/logistic issue that is simply not needed, and nothing else on our Canadian trucks is different other than we get our own trim (Sport).

The build sheet/servlet says my truck is equipped with a 26 gallon fuel tank.

I'm not sure what he means UK gallons. If he is in Canada they don't use US gallons.

We in Canada use both US and UK gallons, as well as L/100 kms and probably one other unit I'm missing, it's all configurable in UC/dash.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I mean, if you are hand calculating for fuel mileage, then it shouldn't matter as your calculations will always be the most accurate. And as long as you are using the correct units when doing the calculations, it shouldn't matter what the truck says.

6of36

Reaction score
That's probably just the website. I can't imagine Ram actually goes through all that trouble to give us Canadians a tank that is off by 1 gallon from the US trucks. It would be a factory/logistic issue that is simply not needed, and nothing else on our Canadian trucks is different other than we get our own trim (Sport).

We in Canada use both US and UK gallons, as well as L/100 kms and probably one other unit I'm missing, it's all configurable in UC/dash.
Lighting is different on Canadian trucks too.

silver billet

Reaction score

So in case you're still wondering, if you go to uconnect settings, then units, you can change to these options:
(the ole girl is apparently a little dusty inside, time for a spring clean)

units.jpg

6of36

Reaction score
I didn't know that, what's different there (other than no ability to turn off DRL)?
Not sure about everything, but someone in Europe got a Canadian truck, and was having problems converting to European standards, because the conversions are based on US built trucks.

23RAM

Reaction score
So in case you're still wondering, if you go to uconnect settings, then units, you can change to these options:
That's the same on mine. The screen before that you can customize and mix the settings which is what I like. I have it set to MPG (US), Temp C, Speed km/h, Distance km, and Pressure psi.

I also like that I can change speed on the fly from km/h to mph with one tap of the OK button when on the Speedometer setting - this will be handy when I cross the border. In the SUV I would have to go into Settings, Vehicle, Units, Distance, pick mph and then click all the way back out. It's not that big of a deal when sitting in line at the border, but one tap is a lot simpler.
:)

23RAM

Reaction score
I didn't know that, what's different there (other than no ability to turn off DRL)?
I don't think anything else is different - just full time DRL. The DRL shut off whenever you put it in Park and activate the Parking Brake but if it's dark then the fog lights stay on if you have them turned on. My driveway is on an incline so I turned on the Auto Parking Brake feature so every time I put it in Park, the electronic brakes automatically lock and unlock when I come and go. I noticed that the auto brake won't release if your passenger hasn't buckled up yet and will start chiming.

silver billet

Reaction score
I don't think anything else is different - just full time DRL. The DRL shut off whenever you put it in Park and activate the Parking Brake but if it's dark then the fog lights stay on if you have them turned on. My driveway is on an incline so I turned on the Auto Parking Brake feature so every time I put it in Park, the electronic brakes automatically lock and unlock when I come and go. I noticed that the auto brake won't release if your passenger hasn't buckled up yet and will start chiming.

I use the auto brake too, great feature especially when hopping out and connecting trailers. I haven't noticed that an unbuckled passenger will stop the brake from releasing, as long as I'm buckled in first before going into drive/reverse then it releases.

It does chime annoyingly though, and there is way to disable that chime which I have bookmarked somewhere in my browser and keep forgetting to do.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use the auto brake too, great feature especially when hopping out and connecting trailers. I haven't noticed that an unbuckled passenger will stop the brake from releasing, as long as I'm buckled in first before going into drive/reverse then it releases.

It does chime annoyingly though, and there is way to disable that chime which I have bookmarked somewhere in my browser and keep forgetting to do.
I took haven't had any issues with autoparkibg brake not releasing because passenger wasn't seat belted. As long as drivers seat belt is fastened it releases just fine.

6of36

Reaction score

I was starting to ask about the seat belt, but then see you have a 2019. 2023 can not be disabled, even with AlphaOBD, as far as anyone has found.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score

i confirm, 124.9liter is exactly 33 us gallons and 27.4 uk gallons, its the same 26 and 33 gallons tanks just listed different

also to clarify in canada we mostly us liters but whrn we use gallons its also mostly us gallons, rarely the uk gallons is use

23RAM

Reaction score
I believe there was a software change somewhere along the way and my 22 will not release unless both the driver and passenger (if present) are buckled. I don't mind...it just means I get to tell the wife to "shut up and buckle up".
:D
I was reading about that feature, but I didn't bother with it as it doesn't affect my personal vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread