5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tie rod Fell Off?

Reaction score
I was on a road trip in AZ/UT, driving 15-20mph on a side road then noticed the car started to shake badly.
I stopped and noticed passenger side front wheel wobbles. It turns out the outer tie rod fell out! The nut holding it in place went missing. I put the rod back and was able to drive to the nearest tire shop( closest dealership was 7 hours away). Luckily this didn't happen at highway speed.

A few days before my road trip I installed Bilstein shocks at Discount Tire and aligned the vehicle. Could this be the cause of the issue? Do they need to remove the tie rod to install the front shocks and align? Maybe they didn't tighten the nut enough? Or is it because something else?

8E1100CE-1931-4F13-9634-207D2B6A6A4A.jpeg 092066B8-B95B-45E6-8DC1-59BE2F25B46A.jpeg

Last edited:

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
That's your tied rod, whoever did the install forgot to properly secure/torque the nut down. You should have every bolt/nut checked just in case.

Reaction score
That's your tied rod, whoever did the install forgot to properly secure/torque the nut down. You should have every bolt/nut checked just in case.

thanks. Do they need to remove tie rods for installing Bilstein shocks? I watched several YouTube videos none of them removed the tie rods.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since when does Discount Tire do anything besides... tires and wheels?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Alignment would be my guess, but we all know we shouldn't need to take out the tie rod end for that.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Yes, the tie rod is removed for install of the strut assembly. The installer failed to properly torque the nut. I would re-torque everything under there as a precaution.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
thanks. Do they need to remove tie rods for installing Bilstein shocks? I watched several YouTube videos none of them removed the tie rods.
Yep, they have to pop them out from that mount right where your nut went missing.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Discount Tire? They don't do anything but tires, are you sure it was them?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say they didn't even put it back.....................

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bet they hand tightened down the nut but never tightened it. The vibration from the wheels during your trip sent the nut to a roadside grave.

Thank god your safe, at speed this would’ve been terrifying.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assume you have, since, checked your left side?

ArtieD

Reaction score
the tire shop acknowledged their error and promised to make things right. Thanks guys!
Wow how do you make that right free tire rotation ? boy thats scary , the shop I took mine to torque everything on lift than put it down retorque and paint each bolt so they know they hit it a second time

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online