5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking sound after sitting for 2 weeks

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
2019 ram 5.7 7200 miles...i have a ticking noise that I've heard twice now on startup. My truck sits alot because i drive a company vehicle most of the time. The first time i heard it, it didnt go away while idling, so i drove it a block down the road and it quit. I changed the oil (because it had been a year). This past weekend i started it again and it made the same sound until i got the RPMs up under some load then it quit. To me it doesnt sound like a manifold, but i will try to post a video of it. This is my 4th hemi, so I'm used to the usual startup lifter tick, but this one doesnt go away while idling until i drive the truck

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
These rams have been known for lifter or cam failures. Letting it sit for long periods of time will more than likely cause a lifter to bleed down. Search the forum for "hemi tick"

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
These rams have been known for lifter or cam failures. Letting it sit for long periods of time will more than likely cause a lifter to bleed down. Search the forum for "hemi tick"
I've searched, but i can only find the usual "clears up after a few seconds." Im aware of the failures also. I would take it to the dealer, but if i can't recreate it, I'll doubt they'll do anything

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
It could be a lifter that leaked down, or it could be the camshaft phaser (cam sprocket for variable valve timing) that leaked down. Toyotas had a huge problem with that for a while. Typically the noise shuts up once the engine gets warm and has been driven enough that it gets pumped full of oil to adjust the cam timing.

Take it in and be prepared to leave it for a couple days so it has time to leak down so that they can hear it.

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
It could be a lifter that leaked down, or it could be the camshaft phaser (cam sprocket for variable valve timing) that leaked down. Toyotas had a huge problem with that for a while. Typically the noise shuts up once the engine gets warm and has been driven enough that it gets pumped full of oil to adjust the cam timing.

Take it in and be prepared to leave it for a couple days so it has time to leak down so that they can hear it.
That's what I'm fearing...i absolutely hate taking my vehicles to the dealer (bad experience with my previous ram) but i guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet. I think it might take more than a couple of days though.. its only happened after sitting for 2 weeks twice. I know, i know, i should drive it more.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
That's what I'm fearing...i absolutely hate taking my vehicles to the dealer (bad experience with my previous ram) but i guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet. I think it might take more than a couple of days though.. its only happened after sitting for 2 weeks twice. I know, i know, i should drive it more.
If you let it sit for weeks at a time without using it then it shouldn't be difficult for you to leave it with the dealer for a week so it has a chance to leak down. Or let it sit at home and get it towed in so you dont start it until at the dealer so they can hear it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Was going to mention exhaust manifold leak, but don’t think that’s right by the sound in the video. Let us know what you find.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Couldn't hurt to spin on a new oil filter before trying the dealership, that said lifter noise from a faulty check valve should clear up in a few seconds

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
Couldn't hurt to spin on a new oil filter before trying the dealership, that said lifter noise from a faulty check valve should clear up in a few seconds
I changed the oil and filter the first time i heard it. Also sent the oil to blackstone. Had a little higher copper content, but they said it seemed normal for the amount of miles

Snekpete

Reaction score
Screenshot 2021-11-09 095032.png
That's pretty loud for a lifter. My guess is a cracked exhaust manifold. If that is the case you should be able to smell it on a cold start before the fan comes on, assuming that the 2019 has an electric fan. If it is a mechanical fan then remove the fan belt to check for exhaust smell. I took a screen shot of your video with what looks to me like a manifold stain from an exhaust leak.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Never tried this myself, but I've heard you can use a shop vac (the blow side) or compressed air to pressurize the exhaust from the tail pipe and spread a soap solution over the manifold to look for air bubbles

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
View attachment 110563
That's pretty loud for a lifter. My guess is a cracked exhaust manifold. If that is the case you should be able to smell it on a cold start before the fan comes on, assuming that the 2019 has an electric fan. If it is a mechanical fan then remove the fan belt to check for exhaust smell. I took a screen shot of your video with what looks to me like a manifold stain from an exhaust leak.
I will check.. ive had a broken manifold on a previous truck, this sounds different to me though, more metallic

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Never tried this myself, but I've heard you can use a shop vac (the blow side) or compressed air to pressurize the exhaust from the tail pipe and spread a soap solution over the manifold to look for air bubbles
Or make a smoke machine out of one of those Halloween fog machines and fill the exhaust.

MudSticker19

Reaction score
I changed the oil and filter the first time i heard it. Also sent the oil to blackstone. Had a little higher copper content, but they said it seemed normal for the amount of miles
What type of oil? what weight? This is just lifter tick IMHO. Throw a bottle or 2 of seafoam(look at the ratio) into the engine, maybe a particulate got into the lifter and just needs a little boot. depending on how much you drive, change the oil after 500-1k miles. Then Try a heavier weight of oil ( not to heavy if you are up north, especially during winter months). Back in my DSM days, we would mix in Lucas Oil Stabilizer and that would help with lifter tick as well.

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
What type of oil? what weight? This is just lifter tick IMHO. Throw a bottle or 2 of seafoam(look at the ratio) into the engine, maybe a particulate got into the lifter and just needs a little boot. depending on how much you drive, change the oil after 500-1k miles. Then Try a heavier weight of oil ( not to heavy if you are up north, especially during winter months). Back in my DSM days, we would mix in Lucas Oil Stabilizer and that would help with lifter tick as well.
I'm running 5w20 pennzoil platinum. I agree with it being a lifter.

STI_MECE

Reaction score
its fine, but that is the cause with newer engines running water for oil so the longer they sit between startups the longer the oil has time to drip down into the pan.

I would suggest flooding the injectors (push the gas pedal to the floor) crank it for a few seconds to help get the oil pump circulate the oil. That is pretty much like priming the engine, it will crank and crank and crank but it wont turn over. Now dont ask me how to do that in a push button start car. I would imagine you floor the gas, hold the ignition button while holding your foot down, let go of the button and wait for it to stop cranking. Verify that process first though lol i did that on my miata only one time i rev'd that puppy on a cold start because i took my foot off the gas before i let go of the button. lol

Ultimately, the fate of the truck will fall under 1 condition, use it or lose it. I have 3 vehicles i jump between, 1 week was about the max i found i could let my ram sit before it did that. But obviously, if you just drive it it will go away.

Find an excuse to drive the truck every week at least for a solid 45 minutes. The best things you can do for a vehicle and the engine are this:

1. Limit idle time, letting a truck sit and warm up will destroy your piston rings over time (letting it idle in general is bad). Just get in and just drive it. Now dont floor it right after firing it up, drive under light load letting it warm up to operating temps then you can do as you please. Check your engine stats on the gauge cluster i always watch mine.

2. Drive the truck long enough to get it nice and hot. By nice and hot i mean you want the engine to be up to operating temp long enough that it can pretty much squeeze out the moisture inside the oil. Short drives kill engines too. Dont go racing around thinking thats what i mean by hot

3. Getting gas from "top tier detergent" stations are a plus, you always gotta make sure your fuel is good too.

4. Changing your oil more frequently wont help anything

Users who are viewing this thread