5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking noise when started cold, 2 seconds

1guyandtools

Reaction score
546 miles and started this twice in 25 degrees and I hear slight lifter? noise that lasts only a couple of seconds. I sur e hope this is not what I think it is. Anyone having the same issue. First Ram ever and it may need to go to the dealer, Bummer. All prev GMs for 30 years never been to the dealer for engine issues.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
The hemi has hydraulic lifters, sometimes they collapse on themselves when the engine is cold. This is one of the several types of "hemi tick" you'll hear about, this is one that is nothing to worry about and is just part of the deal.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
546 miles and started this twice in 25 degrees and I hear slight lifter? noise that lasts only a couple of seconds. I sur e hope this is not what I think it is. Anyone having the same issue. First Ram ever and it may need to go to the dealer, Bummer. All prev GMs for 30 years never been to the dealer for engine issues.

Lifter tick, A good quality full synthetic motor oil helps this issue with cold weather. I had a slight tick, first oil change, drained out the conventional factory oil and replaced it with Valvoline full synthetic. No more tick although I don't see 25 degree weather more like 35 at the coldest here.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
I've had a couple of Hemi's now, and they all did/do this. Synthetic oil makes it stay a bit quieter, but they are noisy buggers when cold on the first start of the day.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had it occasionally with the original oil and filter. I haven't heard it since it was changed. I use the Mopar bulk oil. I think the original filter was draining which allows the lifers to drain.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is of the norm. With that mileage, I would just to document through dealer for your paper records. If a future event was to happen. Cya, as in their side of owner neglect is still of use.
They may/will probably change the oil to show a fix.

1guyandtools

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. I am going to dump the oil and change the filter. I have always run Mobile 1, so I hope this does the trick. I normally run then to 1000 miles and dump the oil and filer. Change again at 5000 miles and every 5000 after that. No math involved. I am still trying to figure out the Forum, so I hope this is how I reply to all who have helped. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread