5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking noise on start up.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
More than likely it is lifter noise. My 11 Ram never had any problems and I traded it in with 80k miles on it. Never a peep from the engine. My brand new 21 BTS, now with only 1300 miles on it has had the lifter tick upon start up twice. Each time it went away within seconds but it happened two times already. One would think since these engines have been in use for 2 decades that they would've perfected them by now. Stupid $hit like this really pi$$es me off.

Redfour5

Reaction score
Page 373

ENGINE OIL — GAS ENGINE
Engine Oil Selection — Gasoline Engine
For best performance and maximum protection
under all types of operating conditions, the
manufacturer only recommends engine oils that
are API Certified and meet the requirements of the
manufacturer Material Standard MS-6395.
NOTE:
Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after
startup and then quiet down after approximately
30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the
engine. This characteristic can be caused by short
drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started
then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon
restarting, you may experience a ticking sound.
Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for
an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended
oil changes or extended idling. If the engine
continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator
Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized
dealer.
The dreaded Hemi Tick... just google it. Definitely get it looked at during the drive train 60K mile warranty. I had both sides done on my 2015. The first at about 40K bolts broke one side and second time at 60K bolts AND a new manifold on one side. No problems after until I traded it. It is a design flaw intrinsic to the design using OEM parts primarily around dissimilar metals on the block and manifold. My dealership has a guy partially dedicated to fixing them..under warranty and he said there is an "art" to getting the bolts out without damaging anything and then involving a major repair. He apparently is good at it. He was the one that told me about the dissimilar metal issue. There are aftermarket fixes involving manifolds titanium lifters? things like that. The same guy told me that he thought that was why FCA went to a 60K warranty from a 100K warranty in like 2016... Shhh, its a secret...

Users who are viewing this thread