5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ticking noise on start up.

TBfshr

Reaction score
This past weekend I started my truck and noticed a loud ticking or knocking sound from the engine. The sound went away after about a minute before driving away.
The only thing I could think of is like noise from the lifters not getting oil. My oil pressure was around the 50 psi. The truck did sit for a week on my driveway facing the street at a slight incline. 2021 5.7 Hemi E torque.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Check the exhaust manifolds?
That's a good idea. Mine also does this and I doubt that it has a cracked manifold at 400 miles. It may also be the VCT cam phasers, but that noise usually doesn't go away. My old Ford sounded like a diesel when it was cold, piston slap. If it's an exhaust manifold you will smell it with the hood open before the fan comes on. If it's cam phasers the noise will be up top. Piston slap is low. I doubt that it's any of those. Can also be the trans/torque converter which tend to tick or knock until they fill with oil, which can take a minute or so, I guess. Lifter tick should only last a couple of seconds. It is probably nothing to worry about.

Reverse

Reaction score
Well, if the startup tick becomes a farting sound that lasts less than a minute, you will know that you have a cracked manifold. Mine were just replaced and that's how the sound progressed for me (on both my 2020 and a few years ago on my 2014).

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mileage on the vehicle?
- Pull on the exhaust manifold heat covers (typically the passenger side, but driver may also do it - at least on the 4th gens). The rearward bolts tend to be the ones that snap. Noise tends to go away after warmup.
- If the vehicle sat at a weird angle overnight, then the oil totally drained out of the valley area and hopefully this was just a one-time occurrence for you. If the manifolds check out and the noise continues, have the dealer look into the control valve (checking for metal filings) and go from there (generally new cams + lifters all the way to to a replacement engine).

TBfshr

Reaction score
Mileage on the vehicle?
- Pull on the exhaust manifold heat covers (typically the passenger side, but driver may also do it - at least on the 4th gens). The rearward bolts tend to be the ones that snap. Noise tends to go away after warmup.
- If the vehicle sat at a weird angle overnight, then the oil totally drained out of the valley area and hopefully this was just a one-time occurrence for you. If the manifolds check out and the noise continues, have the dealer look into the control valve (checking for metal filings) and go from there (generally new cams + lifters all the way to to a replacement engine).
6k Yes I was parked at a slight angle down wards towards the street. I normally don't park that way for 7 days with out driving it either.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll bet its either Broken exhaust manifold bolts or cracked exhaust manifold. I had the exact same issues as you explained. Both exhaust manifolds cracked. Took 7 weeks for the parts to get in

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it only happened that one time - oil related. If it keeps doing it, then dig into it a bit more, indeed.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Page 373

ENGINE OIL — GAS ENGINE
Engine Oil Selection — Gasoline Engine
For best performance and maximum protection
under all types of operating conditions, the
manufacturer only recommends engine oils that
are API Certified and meet the requirements of the
manufacturer Material Standard MS-6395.
NOTE:
Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after
startup and then quiet down after approximately
30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the
engine. This characteristic can be caused by short
drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started
then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon
restarting, you may experience a ticking sound.
Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for
an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended
oil changes or extended idling. If the engine
continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator
Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized
dealer.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Page 373

ENGINE OIL — GAS ENGINE
Engine Oil Selection — Gasoline Engine
For best performance and maximum protection
under all types of operating conditions, the
manufacturer only recommends engine oils that
are API Certified and meet the requirements of the
manufacturer Material Standard MS-6395.
NOTE:
Hemi engines (5.7L) at times can tick right after
startup and then quiet down after approximately
30 seconds. This is normal and will not harm the
engine. This characteristic can be caused by short
drive cycles. For example, if the vehicle is started
then shut off after driving a short distance. Upon
restarting, you may experience a ticking sound.
Other causes could be if the vehicle is unused for
an extended period of time, incorrect oil, extended
oil changes or extended idling. If the engine
continues to tick or if the Malfunction Indicator
Light (MIL) comes on, see the nearest authorized
dealer.

Covered their butts - we have had plenty of cam+lifters & complete engine replacements at the dealer here. As said prior, if the oil control valve is pulled and there is no metal filings, then the cams+lifters can be replaced for constant tick@startup noise. The cams have to be pulled and inspected for wear (certain ones tend to wear more than others in the late model Hemi). If the oil control valve has metal filings, the cams+lifters are still pulled, but the engine is replaced because those same filings are elsewhere in the engine and cannot be cleaned out. They made us attempt to use some "AMAZON" or "eBAY" lifters which were not made properly and cr@pped out the engines we were forced to swap them into due to national backorder.

ArtieD

Reaction score
Anyone try to get the exhaust fixed on a aftermarket lifted truck ? I am pretty sure my driverside manifold is cracked or bolts snapped , I am going to check it out when i do the oil this week .,

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have had lifted trucks at the dealership and fixed those -- lift does not void the exhaust manifold issue.

Natro33

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 1500 as a second vehicle. So it sits for a few days at a time between drive cycles. I used to get the start up tick. I switched to AMSOIL and it no longer does the start tick. I know an AMSOIL dealer. He said it should help and it did. I used a wix filter with it per his recommendation.

ArtieD

Reaction score
We have had lifted trucks at the dealership and fixed those -- lift does not void the exhaust manifold issue.
Well brought my truck in for snapped bolts driver side exhaust manifold , and it was about an hour and half ,before convincing them it was covered under powertrain warranty I have 44k on a 2020 1500 big horn , I can't believe that I had to call FCA and the place of original purchase, before they would even check it, FCA said it is covered till 2025 or 60k where I got the truck from but nobody would call each other to confirm , the truck is in south carolina and I bought it in new york ,
They quoted me $1600 for both sides changed out , now with warranty they will only replace driver side not passenger side , I dont get it if its under warranty you cant do both sides ? it is an upgraded manifold , the passenger side is easier , ????? if it fails after 60k then I might go stainless headers ,
I always have bad luck getting warranty work done Thats y I dont buy extended warrantys I have yet to waltz in someplace to get something fix without a big stressful drama scene , But I hear other people walk in get loaner cars and their truck fixed and detailed with out any drama , what is up with that ? O well at least 1/2 is getting done anyway , Just a little rant

Jeffrey_Sasquatch

Reaction score
Weak Hydraulic Lifters. They bleed down, thus when you first startthe engine, they compress to much allowing slack in the drive train. I bet they also sound off when you romp the gas on the highway.

Ozwaldthedog

Reaction score
I purchased a 21 Laramie last month, has about 2700 miles on it. The other day was the first time I heard that ticking noise. It really freaked me out and since this is the first Chrysler product I have ever owned, it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feel. Before I purchased this truck I test drove an identical one at a different dealership and at startup it made the same noise. I asked the salesman what that was and he said "They all do that, mine does the same". I didn't buy that explanation and left. When I test drove my current one, that noise was not present until now. I am going to change the oil and filter and hope that solves the problem.....

Orion10182011

Reaction score
Could be piston slap. High performance engines tend to do this. If it goes away in a few minutes don't worry about it.

Pistons shrink when cold.

Users who are viewing this thread