5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle response

dtsrt

Reaction score
I had the Limited in the shop and they gave me a Big Horn, 5.7, to drive for two days. I noticed immediately that the Big Horn 's throttle response was much quicker and actually the pedal felt easier to push on than my Limited. I mean when I hit the pedal it scooted! Sooo much quicker than my Limited. Got Limited back and it's like a dog in comparison to the loaner.
Was hoping some good people here could give me some feedback as to why that may be.
Wanted some opinions before I spoke to service department about it.

Thanks all.

Nightmare90gt

Reaction score
Are both trucks same gears because the 3.92s might give the feel of better throttle response

Lize

Reaction score
Have a search on the forum, some people say disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes clears learnt throttle and improves but one reported problem with cameras afterwards. which turned out to be only temporary. I haven't got my truck yet but if I feel the throttle is poor I'll likely give it a try.

Here's the ones I found but I'm sure I've read others about the throttle, may have been discussed in threads about the Pedal Commander or Edge Pulsar as I read quite a few about those too:

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Possible Weight. If your limited is a high option packages. And bighorn has a more basic option level. A good amount of weight difference.

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Have a search on the forum, some people say disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 15 minutes clears learnt throttle and improves but one reported problem with cameras afterwards. which turned out to be only temporary. I haven't got my truck yet but if I feel the throttle is poor I'll likely give it a try.

Here's the ones I found but I'm sure I've read others about the throttle, may have been discussed in threads about the Pedal Commander or Edge Pulsar as I read quite a few about those too:

A trick I was taught on the Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 forum was turning the ignition all the way to "on" without actually turning the vehicle on, jabbing the gas pedal once quickly, and immediately turning back off. This apparently would reset the throttle input as it calibrates to the user. Might have been a placebo, but it seemed to work on my Jeep. Haven't tried on the RAM yet.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless they are different gear ratios, you should have plenty of getupandgo. I've never had a throttle issue on a Ram before... well unless you count smoking tires an issue. ;)(y)

bonebro

Reaction score
I noticed the same when driving a big horn loaner; much quicker than my limited! The big horn would try to burn out from a dead stop launch, where my limited has never even wanted to chirp the tires. It’s probly a good thing my limited doesn’t run like the big horn cuz I’d be getting myself into trouble ;) Im sure weight is a big part of the difference in the trucks.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my PCM, TCM and DTCM updated to the latest versions when I brought my truck in for its first service. I noticed an improvement in acceleration and throttle response after that. I wouldn't say it was sluggish before, but the updates appear to have woken it up a bit. My truck is an early build (5/21), I believe the updates were released in November.

dtsrt

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I was curious about "learned user" trait the vehicle might have had. It had 194 miles on it when I took delivery. I have a tendency to have a heavy foot.
I did notice though that the pedal on the Big Horn seemed to require less foot pressure to giver it throttle than my Limited.

Thanks again all.

Users who are viewing this thread