5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle Response Issues With Large Wheels

Fooleo44

Reaction score
Just left the dealership after having my truck in for throttle response issues when turning tightly. According to the shop manager, the large wheels and tires are triggering the limp mode through Traction Control when making a U-Turn or turning tightly because of high torque values. I have absolutely NO response at the pedal when making a sharp turn. No lights, no warnings, no errors.....simply the throttle goes limp.

Anyone else have this issue after upsizing the wheels and tires? Simple fix is to turn off Traction Control, but wanted to see if anyone has any other offerings.

Thanks

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealership response seems suspect to me. I would expect limp mode through traction control to occur when there is slipping; not extra torque. Is it possible that you have some rubbing and binding occurring when you are turning tightly? I wouldn't expect tires alone to cause the problem; I would expect some type of mechanical interference to cause the problem.

Fooleo44

Reaction score
No tire rub. I've got a video, but it wont post for some reason. I had went to a parking lot and started doing circles. Truck maxes out at 9mph, no matter how much throttle input I provide. Doesn't rev or do anything. It's got to be an electrical sensor of some sort.

Awd1990tsi

Reaction score
I’ve never noticed it at lower speeds. But since I installed my lift and 35’s I’ve had traction control kick on when turning corners if I’m even remotely on the gas. Even happened on a highway on ramp a few times when I was just maintaining speed through the corner. Never any tire noise or reason to suspect a traction issue. But the light flashes and limits power anyways. Minor annoyance occasionally, but so far it’s never really gotten in the way much for me.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. Guess you might need the DT Tazer to keep your traction control off!

(Shameful plug for the group buy going on now)

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stupid things first. Did you verify all wheels and tires are the exact same size? (It's not impossible for the tire shop to mix up one tire)

Less stupid things second. How big is the wheel offset? Could it be that the scrub radius has changed enough to affect the parameters that the VSC considers normal? My guess is no, because others have large tires and deep offsets too, and we haven't heard of this yet. However, this leads nicely into my last proposal / question.

Did the rake of the truck change a lot with the lift. I'm not sure why I haven't heard of this with other brands, but with Toyota's, when the rake of the truck changes, you have to re-calibrate the VSC Yaw Sensor to recognize that the truck is leveled, so that it doesn't get confused when you barrel around corners at speed. This situation you're in, while not identical, sounds similar.

d21arren

Reaction score
I replied to your other thread about this. I have the same lift and tires you do and I am having the exact same issues. I have been turning off traction control for the past 2 days and it has not occurred.

Users who are viewing this thread