5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle Issues When Turning

Fooleo44

Reaction score
I'm not here to bash RAM customer relations, but F$%#, they do absolutely nothing for the customer except schedule and coordinate with the dealer. If you have a shi++y dealer, then you have shi++y luck with resolution. That said, here's my issue (hoping the brainiacs here can help):

Ever since the computer flash that was performed in March 2019 I've been having issues with the throttle not opening when in a "tight" turn. When the steering wheel is rotated a full turn and a half in either direction and the gas peddle is pressed, there is no response. Now, after the CPU flash in March i thought everything was fine, so i had a 6" Fabtech installed with 20x12's and 35's. I didn't realize the issue until after the install of the goodies. HOWEVER, when I took it in for a check, the dealer "couldn't duplicate and errors" and explained to me that the loss of throttle was due to over-torquing the drivetrain due to the larger wheels - a safety feature. So I asked them how can the safety feature engage without throwing an error code. They had no response, nor would they help further. The FCA Customer Relations folks were no help either. Nobody would allow me to talk to a senior FCA mechanic.

Fast forward nearly a year. I had the shop that installed my lift and tires ride with me. We plugged in the scanner and away we went reading all the data we could to diagnose the issue. Here's what we've found.... Absolutley ZERO issues with torque or drivetrain concerns. All readings are normal for all sensors. Throttle action normal when the wheel is pinned left or right - voltage parameters all read normal for pedal position. The ONE item that wasn't normal was the function of the throttle body butterfly valve. When steering is rotated 1-1/2 turns and the paddle is pushed to the floor, the throttle does not open. Roll the steering wheel back 1/4 turn and she goes like a f^%kin rocket. Something in that last quarter turn on the wheel is the issue - nothing to do with drivetrain torque whatsoever.

Anyone on here versed in steering wheel parameters and why they have anything to do with throttle body function? How do I reset....?

Many thanks

d21arren

Reaction score
I have been looking for a post about this, and just stumbled across this. I have the exact same lift and 35's installed on a 2019 rebel, and I am having the same issues. I have not taken it anywhere to get looked at. I bought the truck used with 15k miles and the company I bought the truck from did the lift and tires. This is really annoying as it is at times a safety hazard when pulling out in front of traffic and you have no throttle response. Do you have any update on this?

Mjben1977

Reaction score
I'm not here to bash RAM customer relations, but F$%#, they do absolutely nothing for the customer except schedule and coordinate with the dealer. If you have a shi++y dealer, then you have shi++y luck with resolution. That said, here's my issue (hoping the brainiacs here can help):

Ever since the computer flash that was performed in March 2019 I've been having issues with the throttle not opening when in a "tight" turn. When the steering wheel is rotated a full turn and a half in either direction and the gas peddle is pressed, there is no response. Now, after the CPU flash in March i thought everything was fine, so i had a 6" Fabtech installed with 20x12's and 35's. I didn't realize the issue until after the install of the goodies. HOWEVER, when I took it in for a check, the dealer "couldn't duplicate and errors" and explained to me that the loss of throttle was due to over-torquing the drivetrain due to the larger wheels - a safety feature. So I asked them how can the safety feature engage without throwing an error code. They had no response, nor would they help further. The FCA Customer Relations folks were no help either. Nobody would allow me to talk to a senior FCA mechanic.

Fast forward nearly a year. I had the shop that installed my lift and tires ride with me. We plugged in the scanner and away we went reading all the data we could to diagnose the issue. Here's what we've found.... Absolutley ZERO issues with torque or drivetrain concerns. All readings are normal for all sensors. Throttle action normal when the wheel is pinned left or right - voltage parameters all read normal for pedal position. The ONE item that wasn't normal was the function of the throttle body butterfly valve. When steering is rotated 1-1/2 turns and the paddle is pushed to the floor, the throttle does not open. Roll the steering wheel back 1/4 turn and she goes like a f^%kin rocket. Something in that last quarter turn on the wheel is the issue - nothing to do with drivetrain torque whatsoever.

Anyone on here versed in steering wheel parameters and why they have anything to do with throttle body function? How do I reset....?

Many thanks
Most likely when you lifted and changed wheel/tire sizes you interfered with the wheel speed sensor or abs programming that prevent you from entering a turn too fast. And/Or it uses a G sensor and your truck is exceeding the tilt limited programmed to prevent spin outs or entering a turn too fast. If you have your old tire wheel combo throw them on and check it out!

Mjben1977

Reaction score
I have been looking for a post about this, and just stumbled across this. I have the exact same lift and 35's installed on a 2019 rebel, and I am having the same issues. I have not taken it anywhere to get looked at. I bought the truck used with 15k miles and the company I bought the truck from did the lift and tires. This is really annoying as it is at times a safety hazard when pulling out in front of traffic and you have no throttle response. Do you have any update on this?

Most likely when you lifted and changed wheel/tire sizes you interfered with the wheel speed sensor or abs programming that prevent you from entering a turn too fast. And/Or it uses a G sensor and your truck is exceeding the tilt limited programmed to prevent spin outs or entering a turn too fast. If you have your old tire wheel combo throw them on and check it out!

Clyde

Reaction score
Here’s some other threads with guys having similar problems

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/mopar-2-inch-lift-cause-warning-light.17707/#post-257682

Hope you guys get to the bottom of it, sounds highly frustrating.

Mjben1977

Reaction score
Also all RAM's going back to 2009 have brake turn assist that brake the inside tire when entering a tight turn, this may be exaggerated when you go to over sized wheels and tires. Have you corrected your speedometer since changing tires? This may help.

Mjben1977

Reaction score
electronic roll mitigation [ERM] Sophistication at every turn: If the ERM system detects a potential rollover [for example, a corner taken too sharply; a swerve to avoid a problem], it automatically applies the correct brakes and controls the throttle

Fooleo44

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't a brake thing. Best I can tell, it's all ABS related. Throttle goes dead. Biggest frustration is that there isn't any code to case. Traction Control doesn't kick on, no lights on dash, nothing to indicate why the throttle loss.

Still waiting for some Dodge techie to figure it out with a firmware workaround or programmer that can modify CPU limits. To date, no fix.....and Dodge Customer Service says there's nothing they can do unless their almighty field techs identify it as a malfunction issue.

avooocado

Reaction score
Yeah, this isn't a brake thing. Best I can tell, it's all ABS related. Throttle goes dead. Biggest frustration is that there isn't any code to case. Traction Control doesn't kick on, no lights on dash, nothing to indicate why the throttle loss.

Still waiting for some Dodge techie to figure it out with a firmware workaround or programmer that can modify CPU limits. To date, no fix.....and Dodge Customer Service says there's nothing they can do unless their almighty field techs identify it as a malfunction issue.

I have a stock 2021 and swear this is happening to me. Seems like a large delay...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread