5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Throttle hesitation at take off...

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Correct... I am referring to turning off the Start/Stop function permanently, not the entire eTorque system. The Start/Stop function is the only part of the eTorque system I don't care for, or that irritates/annoys me. There is a button to turn off the Start/Stop function, but it has to be pressed each time I start the truck. So I was/am asking is there anywhere to turn off the Start/Stop function permanently? I did not see anything in Settings, but could have overlooked it.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Correct... I am referring to turning off the Start/Stop function permanently, not the entire eTorque system. The Start/Stop function is the only part of the eTorque system I don't care for, or that irritates/annoys me. There is a button to turn off the Start/Stop function, but it has to be pressed each time I start the truck. So I was/am asking is there anywhere to turn off the Start/Stop function permanently? I did not see anything in Settings, but could have overlooked it.
Only way to do it is with a third party device. You can use a Tazer DT to “remember” the switch position through ignition cycles.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the same random issue in my EcoDiesel. Get on the pedal to take off or make a left turn and nothing happens. I continue to hold the pedal down and finally with a jerk it will harshly take off. File a complaint with the NHTSA so that we can get FCA to look into this. I did, and a representative with the NHTSA sent me an email the next day with more questions as a follow-up. It's a dangerous situation that has it's root in the software calibration. FCA needs to hire people who know what they're doing to program their powertrains. These issues have been going on for long enough.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Only way to do it is with a third party device. You can use a Tazer DT to “remember” the switch position through ignition cycles.
That would be super... I'll investigate picking up the Tazer DT.

I have the same random issue in my EcoDiesel. Get on the pedal to take off or make a left turn and nothing happens. I continue to hold the pedal down and finally with a jerk it will harshly take off. File a complaint with the NHTSA so that we can get FCA to look into this. I did, and a representative with the NHTSA sent me an email the next day with more questions as a follow-up. It's a dangerous situation that has it's root in the software calibration. FCA needs to hire people who know what they're doing to program their powertrains. These issues have been going on for long enough.
Mine is nothing like that... it is only a very slight hesitation. Where I normally just press the gas pedal and it smoothly takes off, instead, it hesitates for a second, it's not smooth. I've never pressed the gas pedal hard and it just not go at all. Mine is when I try to "ease" off with a slight push on the pedal. I'm a slow roller, and take off easy... rarely do I get into it heavy... but when I do, it has no issue going.

If I had your issue, I'd be taking my truck back to the dealer and tell them to let me know when they got it fixed... that's indeed dangerous.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is nothing like that... it is only a very slight hesitation. Where I normally just press the gas pedal and it smoothly takes off, instead, it hesitates for a second, it's not smooth. I've never pressed the gas pedal hard and it just not go at all. Mine is when I try to "ease" off with a slight push on the pedal. I'm a slow roller, and take off easy... rarely do I get into it heavy... but when I do, it has no issue going.
When my truck is cold, such as right after I back out of the garage in the morning, I’ve observed something like this - i.e. the very first time I give it gas once I’ve pulled onto the street.

Once warm, I don’t recall experiencing this behavior. So my example has nothing to do with eTorque or stop/start; it would most likely stem from AFR on a cold engine plus throttle-by-wire programming effects.

Bcryan

Reaction score
I don’t really think it’s an e-tourque issue as you will see numerous posts about this. Mine is a normal 5.7 and it gets lost looking for a gear, even with a pedal max. I’m going to reset it today and hope it changes. I think its truly a transmission function and not necessarily a throttle issue

popcenator

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with my eTorque, my truck seems really "jumpy" but it's been that way since I've installed my oversized throttle body and high flow air filter. And yes, if you disconnect the battery in these trucks they literally forget a ton of the features they have, I've done it twice and both times all of my features returned within an hour or two. I have been hearing so many issues concerning the Hemi with eTorque and it makes me glad that I went with the Pentastar.
I've noticed this exact thing, with the 87mm TB and Vararam installed, that's when it seems to be the worst. I've been trying to figure out what is effected with those two installed. I'm glad to see I'm not just imagining it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have two separate issues... the part about eTorque that I don't like is the jumpy start after taking my foot off the brake, and the occasional shuttering when the engine starts back up. This is why I'd like to permanently turn it off. My other issue, that may very well not be related at all to eTorque, is the slight hesitation with the pedal at take off, which seems to be gone for now.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pretty sure your issue is related to EcoDiesel emissions tuning. A lot of 4th gen guys have similar complaints after they got the software update to fix the dieselgate emissions scandal.

Smerberj

Reaction score
I've noticed this exact thing, with the 87mm TB and Vararam installed, that's when it seems to be the worst. I've been trying to figure out what is effected with those two installed. I'm glad to see I'm not just imagining it.

I am assuming with the larger TB and more free flowing intake, the engine is receiving more air and therefore will react faster with the press of the pedal. People keep recommending the pedal commander but my pedal response is far from insufficient.

popcenator

Reaction score
I am assuming with the larger TB and more free flowing intake, the engine is receiving more air and therefore will react faster with the press of the pedal. People keep recommending the pedal commander but my pedal response is far from insufficient.
I guess I'm noticing the transmission act a little bit clunky and jumpy with those two installed. Things seem a bit another shift wise with the stock setup.

Wreckm

Reaction score
My start stop has been fine up until yesterday 2020 5.7l 7k miles. Today in the morning at a red light on release of the pedal no start up and dash popped up with Shift into P and start vehicle. Then the truck started and took off with a clunk.

Jcagle

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one. I noticed the hesitation when the truck is in park. When I press on the gas it’s almost like it floods out before picking back up. This is my first etorque motor and I didn’t know if it was a common problem or not.

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Start/Stop function turned off, however I was taking off from the red light the other night and my wife thought I was trying to give her whiplash... told her I couldn't help it... the truck jerked off.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Start/Stop function turned off, however I was taking off from the red light the other night and my wife thought I was trying to give her whiplash... told her I couldn't help it... the truck jerked off.

So this was my story back when I first got my Rebel; 3.92 gearing / eTorque (cannot be turned off) and an old transmission firmware was causing a poor upshift 0-1-2 gears.

Dealer did a reflash and after a week of relearning my throttle input (very different from all my other vehicles) my takeoffs are much smoother

Sonnie

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So this was my story back when I first got my Rebel; 3.92 gearing / eTorque (cannot be turned off) and an old transmission firmware was causing a poor upshift 0-1-2 gears.

Dealer did a reflash and after a week of relearning my throttle input (very different from all my other vehicles) my takeoffs are much smoother
I will definitely mention this to my dealer when I take it in for the gas tank upgrade.

Longhorn big foot

Reaction score
I researched it a little more and found suggestions of disconnecting the negative battery cable. That seems to have fixed it... but not without some short-lived quirks. I lost my sat radio, my Auto AC blew hot air, and I could not adjust the AC temps with the buttons. After getting to the shop and letting it sit for an hour, I got in it to head to the dealership for a flash, and everything was back working. Whew!
sweat.gif
It does reset itself after afew hours or over night but within 1 day the Throttle gets laggy again. WTF

TBMSport

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is moody. Some drives and days it's smooth. Others? Delays and shudders.

blaze13290

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what you call it... but when I first press the gas pedal to start moving... there is a hesitation. I can't seem to get it right, but it's not a smooth take off like it was in my 2017 or my 2019. It doesn't feel right. The eTorque is already jumpy when I let off the brake, but this is really after I start rolling and start to give it gas. Is there a throttle memory? This truck had 2,000 miles on it when I got it, so I wonder if it has memory from the previous driver and needs to be reset, or if it's just a problem with my truck, or common for the eTorque.
I have a 2022 ram rebel does the same thing, drives me crazy. One thing I have noticed in tow mode there are no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread