5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Three questions about my new 2021 Big Horn

Checkas

Reaction score
Before I got my 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn I was driving a Honda CR-V and I got some incredible gas mileage. Now I'm suffering with getting between 17 and 21 if I'm lucky. I'm not hauling anything and I'm pretty light on the accelerator. I have been told that I can get some tuning done to help the fuel economy and I could also put in a cold air intake. What would I be able to do with this gas engine the 5.7 Hemi?

Topic number 2 there is a small little lion that has appeared on one of the doors it's about an inch long as a straight line like something rubbed against it but it did not dig into the paint it looks like it's just sitting there on top of the clear coat. Is there something that I can get at one of the auto parts stores that will get rid of that?

In topic number three is that I bought some running boards so that I don't have to jump into the vehicle every time and when I went to install them with the M8 X 1.25 nuts I was unable to get those nuts on to the bolts because I think there may be paint there but I didn't have a good look. I bought a die for cutting the bolt some to get that nut on there but I wanted to make sure I was doing that right.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Before I got my 2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn I was driving a Honda CR-V and I got some incredible gas mileage. Now I'm suffering with getting between 17 and 21 if I'm lucky. I'm not hauling anything and I'm pretty light on the accelerator. I have been told that I can get some tuning done to help the fuel economy and I could also put in a cold air intake. What would I be able to do with this gas engine the 5.7 Hemi?

Topic number 2 there is a small little lion that has appeared on one of the doors it's about an inch long as a straight line like something rubbed against it but it did not dig into the paint it looks like it's just sitting there on top of the clear coat. Is there something that I can get at one of the auto parts stores that will get rid of that?

In topic number three is that I bought some running boards so that I don't have to jump into the vehicle every time and when I went to install them with the M8 X 1.25 nuts I was unable to get those nuts on to the bolts because I think there may be paint there but I didn't have a good look. I bought a die for cutting the bolt some to get that nut on there but I wanted to make sure I was doing that right.
I found that a small wire wheel attached to a drill worked best to remove the paint. There is a thread on this topic. I had a thread chaser and preferred the wire wheel. Other members found the thread chaser worked best. The wire wheel is cheap, see what works for yourself. I had some heavy paint, the chaser was not that effective and felt I was starting to cross thread the stud.

Last edited:

vincentw56

Reaction score
That's probably about as good as gas mileage you are going to get. That's pretty good actually. A cold air intake (CAI) won't do anything for mileage or performance. Same for an exhaust.

You can buff out the line or pay a body shop to do it.

squid013

Reaction score

Question 1, norma fuel milage. You bought a truck, not an underpowered light weight cuv.

Question 2, try some rubbing compound.

Question 3, a wire brush ir wheel will clean the studs.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Cajun_

Reaction score
Question 1: suffer with the rest of us.
Question 2: use a light scratch remover from AutoZone if that doesn't work you can get a detailer to quote you to fix it probably for a couple bucks. If it's deep enough to need touch up paint then you may be screwed.

HAL9001

Reaction score
The trick to see if a scratch can be buffed out rather than needing repainting is to simply wet it with some rubbing alcohol. If the scratch temporarily disappears, that indicates that it's in the clear coat only and it may be possible to be buffed out. Otherwise repainting is necessary.

Professional repainting starts at around $1,000 per panel so you may just want to live with the scratch. If you're not fussy, you can try touch-up paint. There are clever methods shown on YouTube to expertly apply and finish up touch-up paint to make scratches far less noticeable, if not perfectly repaired.

If it can be buffed out, you can try a product designed to remove light scratches such as Quixx. However, if you want it done right with no risks, bring it to an auto body shop. The cost to buff out a light scratch is only around $150.

Last edited:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
1... Get used to that gas mileage. It's a truck that's twice the size, weight and power of a honda.

2... as previously mentioned, try using a light rubbing compound for the line. If it's much more than that, take it to a professional so you dont damage it further.

3... provided the nuts are the correct size for the bolts or studs, the nuts may be self locking nuts which means they dont need a lock washer and will only turn a thread or two by hand before getting tight. As long as you're sure the nuts are the correct thread use a wrench or ratchet and socket to tighten it the rest of the way. There are different types of lock nuts. One will have a nylon plastic ring around the base of the nut and the other style will have an oval or egg shaped thread hole instead of being perfectly round.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
Yeah, its a ***** to get those bolts because paint got sprayed on those bolts.

Wire brush didn't work for me. Paint was still dried and hard.

I cut some small pieces of a microfiber towel and put some 100% acetone on them and wrapped around the bolts for about an hour. It softened that paint on the bolts up pretty good where I could finally screw on the bolt. MUST BE 100% acetone, not finger nail polish remover!

BigD

Reaction score
The guy goes from a Honda CRV to a Ram 1500 & then says he's suffering with only getting 20 mpg 🙄🥱🤭 no suffering would be sleeping in a cardboard box digging in a dumpster for lunch. Your driving a $50,000 truck. If u don't like the gas mileage sell it & get something else. As far as scratches go, get used to them. After a year or so you'll have scratches & door dings all over that truck. If that bothers u, keep it in the garage & don't ever go anywhere with it ! 🤣😂 sorry I'm such a ****, I just get so sick of people's 1st world problems on here & the constant complaining about things that are so fricken minor.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'll just pile on.

That mileage is pretty good. If the truck is brand spanking new, it may improve after break-in.
Others have done a better job than I could with the scratch
I used a threading die to clean the paint. I had a big enough socket that it was really easy to do.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The guy goes from a Honda CRV to a Ram 1500 & then says he's suffering with only getting 20 mpg 🙄🥱🤭 no suffering would be sleeping in a cardboard box digging in a dumpster for lunch. Your driving a $50,000 truck. If u don't like the gas mileage sell it & get something else. As far as scratches go, get used to them. After a year or so you'll have scratches & door dings all over that truck. If that bothers u, keep it in the garage & don't ever go anywhere with it ! 🤣😂 sorry I'm such a ****, I just get so sick of people's 1st world problems on here & the constant complaining about things that are so fricken minor.
If your truck is covered in scratches and door dings after just a year if owning it, you park in some real ****ty places, and/or just don't care about your truck as much as I would. I've had my truck for 18 months. Zero door dings, and I don't even park at end of the lot like some. I do have a few scratches on the bed, but are light scratches in the ceramic coating I had applied and will be buffed out when I take it in for it's annual detail once winter and snow season is over.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

As others have mentioned, that's actually good gas mileage for a Hemi. Be happy with it, or sell the truck and buy another small import SUV

For the scratch, no need to go to a body shop, or get it repainted. A good detail shop can fix it up for you. If you care about the paint and keeping it looking good, I'd recommend a good paint correction and ceramic coat be done at said detail shop.

No experience installing running boards, mine came from factory with them. Good luck, but seems like you've gotten some good advice in it.

BigD

Reaction score
If your truck is covered in scratches and door dings after just a year if owning it, you park in some real ****ty places, and/or just don't care about your truck as much as I would. I've had my truck for 18 months. Zero door dings, and I don't even park at end of the lot like some. I do have a few scratches on the bed, but are light scratches in the ceramic coating I had applied and will be buffed out when I take it in for it's annual detail once winter and snow season is over.
I actually use my truck for work in construction & it doubles as my personal truck. No dents or dings yet, but I know it's inevitable. Lots of scratches though. I think they are mostly from driving down ski trail roads deer hunting. As far as gas mileage goes, I just can't believe the amount of people on here who buy a full size truck & then complain about the mileage. You either want the versatility of a truck, or u want good gas mileage. U can't have both. Even those twin turbos that Ford & Toyota have switched to don't get anywhere near the mileage they claim unless u drive like Betty White !!

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If your truck is covered in scratches and door dings after just a year if owning it, you park in some real ****ty places, and/or just don't care about your truck as much as I would. .....
I was going to say the same thing. I've had many new vehicles over the years and I've never had "scratches & door dings all over that truck" after "a year or so." Funny thing is, I actually use my trucks to haul stuff on a regular basis and the ONLY place I'd expect to be scratched and/or dinged is the bed. To prevent that I immediately install a bed liner (BedRug on the last 3), so even my bed isn't scratched and dinged after a year. I can't imagine what kind of area someone must live/work in to find dings and scratches acceptable. I mean, I understand that stuff happens and you may get one from time to time, so don't freak out over one, but to have them all over the truck and think it's normal is shocking.

I hate to break it to you, but I guess I don't have to because the others already have. That's as good as it gets, and in fact it's considered "good" by most people who drive these. Either you didn't buy the truck new, or you didn't look at the window sticker if you did. That sticker tells you in big bold text that you can expect 17 mpg average (15 - 21 in smaller print).
Here's some science, because that's what I do:
You're driving a 5,500 lbs vehicle with a 395 hp engine. You can't expect it to get the same mileage as a 3400 lbs vehicle with a 190 hp engine. More weight means more inertia to overcome when you accelerate, and the larger surface area means more wind resistance. These are both working against you compared to the Cr-V.
Likewise, the Ram's V8 displaces 5.7L of air/fuel with every revolution even when you're "light on the accelerator." Harder acceleration means higher rpms which means more cycles and more fuel. So being easy on the throttle does help, but it's still a large engine which will use a lot of fuel. The Honda's 2.4L engine is burning less than half that with every revolution. So if you maintain an average of 1800 rpm's in both vehicles, the Honda displaces 4,320L of air/fuel versus the Ram's 10,260L during that same 1 minute interval. Ram has attempted to combat this by implementing MDS which turns off 4 of the 8 cylinders when you're cruising a higher speeds. Even then you'd be displacing 2.85L which is more than the Honda's engine. That means that if you maintain the same average rpm range as you did with the Honda, you'll be burning more fuel even when the truck goes into an efficiency mode and cut fuel to half of the engine.
There's no way around this, large engine means large fuel consumption. This is why many of the manufacturers are exploring smaller displacement engines with turbos and superchargers so they can improve the epa ratings.

The only suggestion I can a say for efficiency is, DO NOT put a lift, level or bigger tires on if you're concerned with efficiency. Improving aerodynamics and weight reduction will be your best bet at improved efficiency and Ram has done a pretty good job of doing that. Most mods you can do that claim they'll help don't or the cost of the mod greatly outweighs the minimal savings they'll get you.

Last edited:

HAL9001

Reaction score
Scratches and door dings are common but not necessarily inevitable. I bought an SUV way back in 2009. It looked so nice when it was new, I decided to take better care of it than I did my previous vehicles. Nothing too exorbitant, I simply waxed it every six months and never parked it where it would get scratched or dinged. I even got a lot of good exercise parking it at the far end of parking lots and walking. Fast forward over 12 years and that car still looks nearly new, no major scratches and zero dings. It has over 150,000 miles and was used for just about everything, but it still looks great inside and out.

I've done the same for every vehicle I've purchased since with the same results. A little TLC goes a long way.

GregHBNA

Reaction score
U can't have both. Even those twin turbos that Ford & Toyota have switched to don't get anywhere near the mileage they claim unless u drive like Betty White !!

AS OF YESTERDAY, BETTY WHITE WON'T BE DRIVING ANY KIND OF VEHICLE!!!!!

Poor Joke ! ! !

Cajun_

Reaction score
For light scratches a detailer will be normally cheaper to get paint correction at than a body shop by a good margin.

Users who are viewing this thread