5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on this headlight tint?

raskyr1

Reaction score
I wanted to black out the white daytime lights on my headlights without compromising the output of the actual headlights. Since it has the black housings I thought I'd just try modifying the headlight kit to remove that area and plot it out in tinted PPF (25%).

Thoughts?

IMG_2066.jpg
IMG_2068(1).JPG

IMG_2071.jpg

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally like the contrast of the white against the black. I dislike the amber on the sides and wish they came with the clear reflectors.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looks kind of purplish in your pic. I'd rather have white daytime lights than purple (not illuminated). How does it look with the LED's on? Maybe a different color tint would look better to me.

raskyr1

Reaction score
It does appear purplish. Maybe a darker tint would alleviate that.

Yeah, that was my whole reason for asking. I felt it looked purplish too. This was the darkest smoked PPF Xpel had. I may give it a few days and see what I think. With the lights on it looks better, no purplish tint. I think it's just the white background that makes it look that way.

raskyr1

Reaction score
what can you do with the scratch marks when you cut the excess off with the exacto knife?
Well, these were cut out on my plotter using the Xpel DAP software, no excess to trim off here. If there was excess, it's vert easy to trim without going all the way through the film and cutting the light/paint. Took a lot of practice when I initially started doing PPF on some metal scrap panels, but now it's second nature. You're just scoring the film and then it tears along that line. Even my plotter doesn't cut all the way through the film. :)

Last edited:

JRD

Reaction score
Yeah, that was my whole reason for asking. I felt it looked purplish too. This was the darkest smoked PPF Xpel had. I may give it a few days and see what I think. With the lights on it looks better, no purplish tint. I think it's just the white background that makes it look that way.
My thoughts too, I’m pretty sure it’s the white making it look purple. You could try a window tint in like 5% or if you wanted to use that film specifically, just put another layer on top of what you have there now.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I really WANT to like this, i really do, but like everyone else says... it looks purple and funky up against the color of the truck and contrast of the light. Id go darker with regular tint personally and i think itd look sick. can you post a photo of the lights on for all of us so we can see? maybe you see something we cant in person. dont know.

JRD

Reaction score
It looks a lot better outside in the daylight IMO. I think I may roll with it for now and try a different film later in the future.
Looks way better in daylight, I like the look of this. I may consider doing this in the future

Users who are viewing this thread