5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 vs the lightest weight LT tires out there..

realralfy

Reaction score
It’s the only P-metric 34” tire on the market that I can find. I really want a 34” tire, but don’t want to run a LT tire due to ride quality and weight and it’s impact on fuel mileage. This Nitto weighs 47 lbs in a 275/65/20...

The lightest LT tires I can find are the Bridgestone Deuler AT Revo 3 at 50 lbs, and the Toyo Open Country at 54 lbs.
Firestone also has a LT tire in that size around 50 lbs..

How are the above mentioned tires on the street and off-road...

Others I should consider?

Pos90

Reaction score
Following
Even though I just picked up a barely used set up this weekend and haven't put them on yet.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, the Nitto fans are going to tell you how great the G2s are. I put G2's on my Jeep Wrangler because everyone on the forums raved about them. They look cool; I'll give them that. They rode pretty good (at first). After about 10,000 miles though; they seemed to get hard (if that makes sense). I had to keep airing down to make them comfortable. They felt fine on big bumps and pot holes and off-road; bit those little cracks, crevices, and uneven pavement on the roads were brutal. It came to the point where I was avoiding every little imperfection of the road because the tires would transmit the impact up through the Jeep and through me. The other problem I had with them is that they had awful wet traction both from a stop and through puddles (hydroplaning). After my experience with them; I decided I will never buy Nittos again. The tread on them lasts FOREVER; but the ride becomes very harsh with miles. And, the wet traction was bad from day 1.
Once you get over 275/60R20 (33"); its hard to find a lighter tire. I'm probably going to just get a 275/60R20 myself because I don't want the extra weight; I'm looking at Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. If you must have a 275/65R20; then unfortunately you are going to pay the weight penalty.

realralfy

Reaction score
Well, the Nitto fans are going to tell you how great the G2s are. I put G2's on my Jeep Wrangler because everyone on the forums raved about them. They look cool; I'll give them that. They rode pretty good (at first). After about 10,000 miles though; they seemed to get hard (if that makes sense). I had to keep airing down to make them comfortable. They felt fine on big bumps and pot holes and off-road; bit those little cracks, crevices, and uneven pavement on the roads were brutal. It came to the point where I was avoiding every little imperfection of the road because the tires would transmit the impact up through the Jeep and through me. The other problem I had with them is that they had awful wet traction both from a stop and through puddles (hydroplaning). After my experience with them; I decided I will never buy Nittos again. The tread on them lasts FOREVER; but the ride becomes very harsh with miles. And, the wet traction was bad from day 1.
Once you get over 275/60R20 (33"); its hard to find a lighter tire. I'm probably going to just get a 275/60R20 myself because I don't want the extra weight; I'm looking at Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus. If you must have a 275/65R20; then unfortunately you are going to pay the weight penalty.
That is excellent info....I think I'm going to go the LT tire route. I'm leaning toward the Revo 3....

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is excellent info....I think I'm going to go the LT tire route. I'm leaning toward the Revo 3....
The Revo 3 has tempted me as well. It's a good looking tire and the reviews I have seen are fairly positive. If you get the Revo 3, post up a review after 1,000 miles or so. There isn't a lot of info about these tires out there.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nitto tires are the only ones I've seen that get mixed reviews. Almost every other tire on the market has glowing reviews because people always stand behind the purchase decisions they make. But with Nittos the reviews are 3 out of 5 at best. Even on Nitto's own website the reviews are bad.

The people I know who've run them personally don't like them. My brother has the Ridge Grapplers on his F-150 and says they're terrible in the rain. My buddy ran the Terra Grappler on his Silverado and said they didn't wear well at all and they were hard to balance. It's hard to find really positive things to say about Toyo/Nitto tires. They're expensive and don't live up to the hype.

Users who are viewing this thread