5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on Levelling

ottfire

Reaction score
Hello all,
My first post to this Forum. I am eagerly anticipating delivery of my 2021 1500 Classic which was ordered Feb 5 2021 (yes, it has actually been shipped). The vehicle itself is:

2021 Ram 1500 Classic Warlock, Flame Red
5.7L V8 HEMI, 8 Speed Torqueflite Transmission, 3:92 Gears
Crew Cab, 4x4, Short Box, Premium Cloth 40/20/40 Front Bench Seat
All Options except: Smokers group, All Terrain, Rambox and Sunroof

My query relates to levelling.
Pros and cons for this vehicle?
If I choose to level the vehicle what else should be considered, other than alignment?
Would there be an impact on Travel Trailer towing?

Thank you all in advance.....

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Covered in numerous threads, but here you go:

Pros - fit larger tires, better looking stance for most people
Cons - Lower gas mileage, less shock travel if you use a spacer instead of different shocks/coilovers. Lower MPG's potentially. You should adjust your headlights and fog lights if you don't want to be an ***.

Any time you mess with suspension components you should get an alignment, but that's about it as long as everything goes back together properly.

When you raise the front end of the truck it's always going to impact towing or hauling anything. You will notice "nose high" with even minimal weight in the bed. This will affect visibility, headlight glare, and MPG's. Trucks have rake to account for having weight in the bed/on the trailer hitch. When you take that rake away you don't have that extra height.

This is assuming you don't have air suspension. I don't know if that's available on a Classic.

sdramsey24

Reaction score

Cons - Lower gas mileage, less shock travel if you use a spacer instead of different shocks/coilovers. Lower MPG's potentially. You should adjust your headlights and fog lights if you don't want to be an ***.

Any time you mess with suspension components you should get an alignment, but that's about it as long as everything goes back together properly.

When you raise the front end of the truck it's always going to impact towing or hauling anything. You will notice "nose high" with even minimal weight in the bed. This will affect visibility, headlight glare, and MPG's. Trucks have rake to account for having weight in the bed/on the trailer hitch. When you take that rake away you don't have that extra height.

This is assuming you don't have air suspension. I don't know if that's available on a Classic.
What he said.

Lots of ways to do a level, all exhaustively covered on this forum. To me, I think you need to know what your application looks like. How do you use your truck? I do a lot of recreational towing and weekend warrior projects that require hauling stuff. I went Bilsteins and Mopar UCA's in front and a spacer in the rear. Very happy with the results for my towing and light off road use. Lots of folks are very pleased with their top hat spacers or with a proper full suspension lift kit. It's not wrong, just different.

The MPG thing is real. I've lost a few MPG. It's notable especially when towing. Enjoy your truck!

ottfire

Reaction score

Thank you for the info. I am new and did do a search prior to posting here. Thanks again.

ottfire

Reaction score
What he said.

Lots of ways to do a level, all exhaustively covered on this forum. To me, I think you need to know what your application looks like. How do you use your truck? I do a lot of recreational towing and weekend warrior projects that require hauling stuff. I went Bilsteins and Mopar UCA's in front and a spacer in the rear. Very happy with the results for my towing and light off road use. Lots of folks are very pleased with their top hat spacers or with a proper full suspension lift kit. It's not wrong, just different.

The MPG thing is real. I've lost a few MPG. It's notable especially when towing. Enjoy your truck!
Thank you for the reply. It sounds like we are very close when it comes to how I plan to use the truck. No off-roading. Towing and hauling as well as my daily. thanks again for the info.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. It sounds like we are very close when it comes to how I plan to use the truck. No off-roading. Towing and hauling as well as my daily. thanks again for the info.
Yeah I went with top hat spacers up front and air bags in the rear since I didn't want to completely throw out new shocks. I regularly haul 1000+ pounds so just putting a spacer in the rear wasn't going to cut it. Once the shocks wear out it's full mid travel (hopefully Dirt King has a kit by then) with the air bags in the rear.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
Yeah I went with top hat spacers up front and air bags in the rear since I didn't want to completely throw out new shocks. I regularly haul 1000+ pounds so just putting a spacer in the rear wasn't going to cut it. Once the shocks wear out it's full mid travel (hopefully Dirt King has a kit by then) with the air bags in the rear.

I should have noted that I did the air bag thing as well. I did the Firestone HD1000 kit on the rears and it works really well. I run about 25 - 30 pounds in 'em when I tow my travel trailer. Only about 10 pounds when I tow my boat.

Wisco417

Reaction score
I should have noted that I did the air bag thing as well. I did the Firestone HD1000 kit on the rears and it works really well. I run about 25 - 30 pounds in 'em when I tow my travel trailer. Only about 10 pounds when I tow my boat.
Any negative affects that you can tell with the airbags when not towing? Also mind sharing a link? I see a couple different models.

I have the Readylift leveling kit now, looking at upgrading to the 5100’s in front with spacers in the rear to add some height. I also have a decent amount of squat with my 19’ Deep V boat that I’d like to do away with.

One last question, what PSI are you running in the Nittos? I have 285’s but an struggling to find the sweet spot there for towing, comfort, etc.

Thanks in advance!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just don't be "this guy"... I see a couple of these on the road, to me it looks like dogsheet but that's me.
Just the driving mechanics must absolutely stink.
View attachment 98459
Definitely not for me, but I still respect the skill it takes to do something like that. I can appreciate stuff people do to/with their cars and trucks, but it doesn't mean I like it LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread