5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on build/price

Shamrock92

Reaction score
Ok, wife has been on me for 5 days now about re-considering the Rebel. Ever since she saw one used - she really wants me to go Rebel over a TRD Pro Tundra.

I'll admit - I've been on the fence myself. Both have their selling points - but up until now I've been convinced to go Toyota as all other factors considered - its a few dollars less upfront.

Now I start doing the math - and it's closer than I figures. By the time I have a JBL upgrade done to the radio and add the bedliner...I'm 2 grand or more in the Tundra beyond sticker - Ram avoids this so is actually 2 grand closer.

Here's the highlights of the build:

Hemi with etorque
Rebel level 2 pack and Rebel 12
Sunroof
Multifunction Tailgate
33 gallon tank
Comfort/convenience pack
Air suspension

Anything on here I should skip - I know the sunroof is of little value to many (including me - Mrs choice) and the air ride is not great if lifting the truck (I'm not).

Priced right at invoice with all rebates...takes me to around 60k less incentive (2500 currently) - or about 2500 beyond the Pro.

Factor in radio upgrade, bedliner and replacing the tires on a stock Pro and we are damn near dead even. Ram of course gives 0/72 as well - and the obvious trade off of comfort/tech for reliable/resale. (This is not as simple as some will have you believe- both are better than average- Toy just edges out Ram overall imho).

Anything to add/avoid - is invoice the new standard for now ?

2021REBEL

Reaction score
I was told from the dealer that the multi function tailgate is built very cheap and isn’t as durable as the regular one. He said they’re outsourced and they didn’t built them very well. Also, where abouts do you live? I live in Canada and was going to get the air suspension then decided to take it off and do a lift instead. I was told the compressor hates the cold and it has failing issues which aren’t cheap to fix. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok, wife has been on me for 5 days now about re-considering the Rebel. Ever since she saw one used - she really wants me to go Rebel over a TRD Pro Tundra.

I'll admit - I've been on the fence myself. Both have their selling points - but up until now I've been convinced to go Toyota as all other factors considered - its a few dollars less upfront.

Now I start doing the math - and it's closer than I figures. By the time I have a JBL upgrade done to the radio and add the bedliner...I'm 2 grand or more in the Tundra beyond sticker - Ram avoids this so is actually 2 grand closer.

Here's the highlights of the build:

Hemi with etorque
Rebel level 2 pack and Rebel 12
Sunroof
Multifunction Tailgate
33 gallon tank
Comfort/convenience pack
Air suspension

Anything on here I should skip - I know the sunroof is of little value to many (including me - Mrs choice) and the air ride is not great if lifting the truck (I'm not).

Priced right at invoice with all rebates...takes me to around 60k less incentive (2500 currently) - or about 2500 beyond the Pro.

Factor in radio upgrade, bedliner and replacing the tires on a stock Pro and we are damn near dead even. Ram of course gives 0/72 as well - and the obvious trade off of comfort/tech for reliable/resale. (This is not as simple as some will have you believe- both are better than average- Toy just edges out Ram overall imho).

Anything to add/avoid - is invoice the new standard for now ?
Personally I would leave off the Etorque and air suspension , just personal preference .

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would want a better price on the Tundra - it is the oldest outdated full size on the market and has a complete overhaul coming for the next model year. Personally I can't understand anyone paying that kind of money for such an old truck - the RAM is so much better in almost every way other than the possible lower reliability but that is in part because it has so much more advanced tech etc. I can't speak to the air suspension from personal experience but am strongly considering it in my next build - I haven't heard of any problems with it in the 5th gen trucks related to cold weather (I'm in MN) there were lots of issues in earlier 4th gen and previous but they seem to be a non-issue in the 5th gen.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason the Toyota is less money is because you're getting less truck.

Those things were shown off at the auto shows back when G.W. Bush was in office. Outdated interior, outdated exterior, lack of technology, engine/trans that drinks fuel like mad, lack of hauling/towing, smaller brakes, lower safety scores, etc. etc. we could go on all day.

And the idea that a Toyota is superior to other brands is the greatest myth ever purported upon the American public.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
New Tundra should be unveiled in the next few weeks. If it were me (and did not mind waiting a little longer) you could just see what they release.
I would imagine they would load the new models with latest safety, tech, and updated power plant.

Same with the '22 model year RAM. It may have some new features, so worth the wait (in my opinion) as well.

Cheers,

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It’s strange because around here the Tundra is about 6-10k more than a Ram .

MadMater'

Reaction score
My buddy got a TRDpro Tundra last year? or maybe 2 years ago now, but he was only able to get 1500$ off sticker price and paid 52-53k for a 54-55k MSRP I believe. I dont know the specifics about his deal or what deal you are getting on the Tundra but I got my Rebel for 1500$ below invoice and 4k above my average trade-in value because they really wanted to get a deal done before April 1. Sticker was 59k and I got it for 52kish I think? My point being my Rebel is more truck than his TRDpro tundra and I paid less all said and done. The trundra is very nice so this isnt me knocking them at all either lol

Shamrock92

Reaction score
The multifunction gate - im torn on. I get the appeal...but at the same time how many decades have we went with the "standard". Those that bought them love them...but you can say that about alot of things.

Air suspension - im in NC, and having driven vehicles with and without - I can say I noticed it and liked it. It's not like it's freezing more than a few days a year here...and despite being a long term question mark - it helps the ride.

Toyota v Ram reliability - its a case of perception and reality. Bottom line - OVERALL and looking back a decade Toyota has been better. That does it not mean I buy a Tundra it will never have an issue or if I go Ram it will have an issue. Its a chance. Given the choice - most people would play Russian roulette with a revolver vs a double barrel shotgun and take the 1 in 5 chance vs 50/50. Doesn't mean you can't "win" with one or lose with the other - just means your chances are better.

Resale - argue it all you like, it's a reality that Toyota wins that one. Again, doesn't make it a better truck - just one that's produced in lower numbers and less available at resale.

The etorque - its rare to see a hemi without it these days.

IDK - biggest issue with Ram is the dealers here - which is so weird to me. 3 dealers and only 1 is interested in actually quoting. 2 others can't call back...vs Toyota who has been highly responsive. Odd to me as historically its been the opposite in my experience...Ram bending over backwards and Toyota not caring if you bought or not.

Worse yet - the sole Ram dealer to reply cannot "lock" incentives based on order date (they say) - claiming its just whatever is in effect day the transporter touches their lot. We know that's incorrect and though unlikely to change much from current - it would be nice to be "locked in".

Ram also says they are able to order - but have heard the rumors that ordering will stop "soon" of course ask when 2022 orders start "late summer/fall" - funny how I have to act today to avoid being shut out - but 2022 is more than 5 months off to order.

Shamrock92

Reaction score
I don't get the "more truck lower price"

More features - yes, Ram offers them.

Higher sticker price and more incentive- again Ram beats Toyota here.

Personally I don't care if the sticker says 5 dollars and there's a 53k destination fee tacked on - its not about getting the best "deal" it's about filling MY needs and wants best - and then doing that at the most economical cost.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is your truck your daily driver? This truck is more comfortable than many SUV's and cars, even without the air suspension. Like many have said, the Tundra is decades old. This was mainly the reason I didn't stick with Nissan and buy another Titan after owning one for 12 years. If you can wait, see what the 2022 models bring. Although, Toyota will bring their price up to compensate for all the "new" (read: other brands have had for years) features. Nissan finally stepped it up with their 2021 Titans, but their prices are the same as Ram now instead of being 5-10k cheaper.

The pano roof I couldn't have cared less, but my wife lost hers when we bought her SUV, so I got it because she wanted it. I've used it far more than I thought I would although being bald and fair skinned means I need a hat when it's open. Air suspension I didn't want to have to deal with my suspension being a 5k+ repair 10 years down the road.

Be careful if you tow/haul. You're wanting a lot of features that are going to kill your payload. My truck with what you have minus the 33 gallon tank, air suspension, Etorque, and MFT only has 1530 pounds of payload. With those 3 other items you're going to be in the 1300's.

PhillyPhan

Reaction score
I'd stay away from the air suspension just from all the issues I've been reading about and the repair costs. I didn't care for the MFT, so I passed on that and haven't missed it since I never had it :). As far as the panoroof goes, I read about a lot of issues with leaks when it comes to that as well. Quite honestly I rarely used the sunroof on my Tundra when I had it, but that's my personal preference.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This thread reinforces what my personal experience told me: wives love the panoramic sunroof!

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This thread reinforces what my personal experience told me: wives love the panoramic sunroof!
She's gotten a new car 3 times since we've been married, and I've gotten the Ram. Every single time when I ask what she wants it's been "sunroof". "Ok well what about X, Y, Z?" "Yeah it can have those too, but I want a sunroof."

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason the Toyota is less money is because you're getting less truck.

Those things were shown off at the auto shows back when G.W. Bush was in office. Outdated interior, outdated exterior, lack of technology, engine/trans that drinks fuel like mad, lack of hauling/towing, smaller brakes, lower safety scores, etc. etc. we could go on all day.

And the idea that a Toyota is superior to other brands is the greatest myth ever purported upon the American public.
i bought a new 4runner limited in 2015, i only have 40k on it, the passenger front door has rust on it, its out of warranty now but still took it back to the dealer and they said the the door is rusting out from the inside. its bleeding from the inside and coming though the seem on the door which should be sealed. The factory rep took photos to send in to Toyota and i will get a answer if the will pay for it. i do like the 4runner but pissed about having to replace a door and the navigation sucks. the worse ever! i agree they need to step it up on the new model trucks.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I absolutely love the multi function tailgate. it just makes sense. would you rather reach across your tailgate and drag a stack of bags of mulch or concrete to the edge of the tailgate so you can unload them, or would you rather be able to position yourself within inches of your cargo and unload at will.
I was told from the dealer that the multi function tailgate is built very cheap and isn’t as durable as the regular one. He said they’re outsourced and they didn’t built them very well. Also, where abouts do you live? I live in Canada and was going to get the air suspension then decided to take it off and do a lift instead. I was told the compressor hates the cold and it has failing issues which aren’t cheap to fix. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't feel like the MFT is built poorly or cheaply. Was the dealer trying to push units they had on the lot that did not have the MFT? I find myself very rarely using the MFT in the traditional sense. the wife and I did have lunch the other day sitting on the tailgate, so that was nice to use traditionally.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even though our sunroof isn’t opened much, just getting the extra sunlight is nice.

Love the air suspension

The only item on your list I’d skip is eTorque

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even though our sunroof isn’t opened much, just getting the extra sunlight is nice.

Love the air suspension

The only item on your list I’d skip is eTorque
totally agree. a lot of the time I just open the shade and having the glass roof makes the huge cab seem even bigger and more open.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious for those who refer to all the issue with air suspension - have any of you experienced or heard of an issue on a 5thgen truck? Keeping in mind that HD2500 and 3500 and 1500 classics are all 4th gen trucks has anyone reported similar air suspension issues on a 5thgen 2019 or newer 1500? I have been obsessing over this as I really like the concept and want it on my next truck but was scared off by all the issues with cold weather but they seem to have been solved.

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i ordered the air suspension. this was after i watch a youtube video on the air ssuspenion fail in very cold weather -6 F without wind chill. The suspension fail due to heating up to much because it was running non stop trying to keep the suspension filled. we don't really see that type of weather here in sw pa to often. If i lived futher north i would not order it.

Users who are viewing this thread