5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts after the first 1000 miles on my 2022.

SCA

Reaction score
I bought my 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie, Hemi eTorque with 3.92 gearing a couple of weeks ago and had to do a lot of driving the past couple of weeks. I am curious to see if others have similar experiences to mine.

I am coming from a 2012 Ram 1500 2WD express. I cannot believe how much better the fit and finish is on the new ones. My old truck was pretty basic, but was mostly problem free for 140,000 miles. This new one is so quiet and well appointed it is hard to believe I am driving a truck.

Now, the not so good. My start/stop feature is still showing "Not Ready" after all these miles. All of the conditions are met for it to work. It just doesn't. I have an appointment with the dealer in about three weeks. The braking in this truck is frustrating. It feels like it is in tow/haul mode when slowing down. It is difficult to modulate the brake pressure when the truck is downshifting and also slowing me down. Then at times, it feels like it is downshifting, then goes free. Between this and the throttle (I will get to that) I am having a difficult time driving this truck in traffic smoothly.

The throttle is very inconsistent. Sometimes if feels very smooth, other times it feels like I am giving in gas, then it slides into gear (like slipping a clutch in a manual). One light it will feel great, the next light not at all. It surges in the lower gears when it is cold. If feels strange to have to warm up a new, expensive vehicle. This transmission feels a bit clunky.

I towed our travel trailer with it and it towed great. The truck really shined in this area. Overall, I love this truck. I regret buying the eTorque because so far, the start/stop does not work and the accelation/braking is frustrating. I loved my 2012 because of how smooth the drivetrain was. For me, the perfect truck might be the old drivetrain with the new body and amenities.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The braking is do to the regenerative braking of the eTorque. Takes some getting use to, but I don't notice it anymore. The gas pedal issue is because of it being pedal by wire. Using a pedal max or something like that will help. But, I've gotten use to that also.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your name is SCA- did you get a SCA Ram? I’d love to see pics of whatever you have.

SCA

Reaction score
The braking is do to the regenerative braking of the eTorque. Takes some getting use to, but I don't notice it anymore. The gas pedal issue is because of it being pedal by wire. Using a pedal max or something like that will help. But, I've gotten use to that also.
I will look into that!

Itsslow98

Reaction score
Yea I just don't see the benefits of the etorque over the regular hemi for driving experience and possible issues down the road. Glad to hear everything else is great though!

SCA

Reaction score
This is why my next one will not be eT. I didn't want it this time but the one on the lot had it.
I actually wanted it. But based on my experience so far I can see why people may not want it. I am hoping I grow into it.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So start stop doesn’t work at all,? Definitely a dealer thing. Have my 2021 ( it was built in September) and literally after a 1/2 mile it works.

The braking is a love/hate thing. I didn’t realize that I do a lot of engine braking…basically coasting to a stop sign. I can feel resistance when getting there now. I guess it works ok. With the start stop, I never realized how long I sit a stop lights. That’s where it shines for me. It doesn’t increase mpg, but I know I’m saving a little more by not running the engine at a stop light.

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)

SCA

Reaction score
So start stop doesn’t work at all,? Definitely a dealer thing. Have my 2021 ( it was built in September) and literally after a 1/2 mile it works.

The braking is a love/hate thing. I didn’t realize that I do a lot of engine braking…basically coasting to a stop sign. I can feel resistance when getting there now. I guess it works ok. With the start stop, I never realized how long I sit a stop lights. That’s where it shines for me. It doesn’t increase mpg, but I know I’m saving a little more by not running the engine at a stop light.

2021 Ram Rebel
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (wife)
It doesn't work at all. It just says "Not Ready". All the conditions are met, just doesn't work.

I went with the eTorque because of the start/stop system. I spend a lot of time at traffic lights. I think my city uses the village idiot for timing them. The start/stop would no doubt save me money. If it would actually work.

Burnzie

Reaction score
If your heater or AC is running when vehicle is cold in winter or hot in the summer it will say " Not Ready ", at least mine does.

SCA

Reaction score
If your heater or AC is running when vehicle is cold in winter or hot in the summer it will say " Not Ready ", at least mine does.
They are turned off. Still says "Not Ready". If I turn those on, it says that is the reason it is not ready. Same with when it is in Tow/Haul mode.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The inconsistent throttle you're feeling when slowing and accelerating is likely you not coming to a complete stop at stop signs or lights and the trans staying in 2nd or 3rd gear due to your speed then when you accelerate, it downshifts and that's the surge you're feeling.
I don't know why they programmed the trans this way but its not aggressive enough on downshifts, it doesn't shift into 1st unless you're under 3 mph or so. So if you "roll" a stop sign, it stats in 2nd and when you accelerate away, it down shifts to 1st and you feel that as a surge. It does the same thing when coming to traffic light that turns green as you get there, trans should be in 2nd but its in 3rd and when you accelerate, it drops down to 2nd and you feel a surge.

The etorque braking doesn't bother me one bit, I like it. Noticed the 1st week and every now and then but not that much and it doesn't cause me any inconsistent braking at all.

Users who are viewing this thread