5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This transmission.

Kramersp

Reaction score
So the ol ZF 8 speed is really good at upshifting. But I have 200 miles on my truck and it seems to not know what it's doing when it comes to stopping. I'm coming up to a stoplight and look at the speedo saying 26mph and the truck is still in 6th gear. Then it is in 3rd when I'm coming to a stop and goes to 2nd and then first at a stop. And the downshifts from around 25mph are kinda rough. Is this normal? My truck specs are in my signature.

1Raider

Reaction score
I would go out and run it pretty hard from a dead stop with it in Normal and then Tow Haul mode and then do some Hwy runs like your passing etc and make it "learn".

Brrryan

Reaction score
^agreed also. I had the same concerns the first few hundred miles. Nearing 1500 now and decelerating seems much smoother.

Hutch70

Reaction score
^agreed also. I had the same concerns the first few hundred miles. Nearing 1500 now and decelerating seems much smoother.
Mine does the same thing. I'm right at 1200 miles .

Kramersp

Reaction score
Does the ZF skip shift like the Ford/GM 10 speed can? Like from 3rd to 5th and 8th to 4th ect?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the ol ZF 8 speed is really good at upshifting. But I have 200 miles on my truck and it seems to not know what it's doing when it comes to stopping. I'm coming up to a stoplight and look at the speedo saying 26mph and the truck is still in 6th gear. Then it is in 3rd when I'm coming to a stop and goes to 2nd and then first at a stop. And the downshifts from around 25mph are kinda rough. Is this normal? My truck specs are in my signature.

As you probably know all of the Chrysler automatic transmissions are fully electronic shift control and are designed to 'learn' the operators driving style. Basically the Transmission Control Module (TCM) has a built in series of shift algorithms as defaults. As the driver operates the vehicle over time the TCM builds a history of actual shift sequences, matching the operators driving style. The TCM then selects the algorithm that best replicates the driver's style. This learning process is continual.

As with my 2010 and 2014, my 2019 has been going through the learning process and at 1877 miles I no longer feel the somewhat harsh downshifts that you are experiencing. I can tell you that with my two previous Rams the harsh shifts seemed more pronounced with the 3.92 axle ratio.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 001877 miles.

Celtic Sun

Reaction score
Thank God for posting this! I thought my truck was having transmission problems! I am at 1100 miles and it seems to be getting a little better. I baby the accelerator though. Maybe I need to drive a little rougher. I do have the 3.92 though so we'll see.

Quicker10u

Reaction score
Exact same thing here. The downshift to 1st gear when coming to a light is so abrupt that its almost like getting bumped. I have 900 miles on the clock now and I think it's slowly getting better. I told the wife that it's probably a 'learning mode' coupled with fresh bands and clutches. Break in. Glad to hear others are having the same issue. This is why I LOVE this forum.

Ewiz

Reaction score
I have 3k miles on mine and have had all software updates and mine shifts like garbage. Upshift fine but stop and go is retarded. Starts in 2nd then gets confused and clunks to 1st. Also slowing and to 5 mph or so then acceleration clunks. This truck has brake pulling to the right along woth a list of other issue. Extremely disappointed. Ramcares is useless by the way

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's a TCM update that addresses the 1st/2nd gear 'bump' as well as some transitions at other gears.

Nettag7

Reaction score
My truck has 9,500 Mile's on it and the truck sucks when coming to a stop/yeld and taking off. It feel like no power for a second and then takes off. It always feels like this everytime I stop and take off quickly. It wont do it if I stop and sit there for a few second before taking off. It's very annoying and it seems like its getting worse!! My truck has been updated more than my cell phone since I bought it in June.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Bring to the dealer. I had the same problem and 3 updates resolved it.

Smoot178

Reaction score
My truck has 9,500 Mile's on it and the truck sucks when coming to a stop/yeld and taking off. It feel like no power for a second and then takes off. It always feels like this everytime I stop and take off quickly. It wont do it if I stop and sit there for a few second before taking off. It's very annoying and it seems like its getting worse!! My truck has been updated more than my cell phone since I bought it in June.

Do you have the etorque? I complained to my dealer about this issue as well. It was always advertised as being ready by the time you move your foot from the brake to the gas, but I am finding that even if I do that slowly, I still have to wait for everything to catch up as the engine restarts. By then, I've put in more throttle than is necessary and it lurches to catch up.

Nettag7

Reaction score
Do you have the etorque? I complained to my dealer about this issue as well. It was always advertised as being ready by the time you move your foot from the brake to the gas, but I am finding that even if I do that slowly, I still have to wait for everything to catch up as the engine restarts. By then, I've put in more throttle than is necessary and it lurches to catch up.
No I dont have torque. I notice the truck stays in 3rd or 2nd gear and doesn't go into 1st gear until after few seconds or so when I stop. I never had a vehicle do that before and I have had a lot of vehicles throughout the years. It's really annoying! The dealer has reprogramed my truck over 4 times since September and has reprogramed it with an 8g download each of the past 3 months. Thet just did an 8g reprogram a few days ago, because my 12 inch Uconnect radio/screen/system wouldn't work nor turn on at all. It was like that fir 3 days until I got to take it into a dealer. I mean nothing worked if it went through that system.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/