5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Third Tow with New Travel Trailer Coming Up

MaximumEffort

Reaction score
New truck and new travel trailer first-timer. Tow #2 was not so much fun with 25-30ish MPH gusting winds during a 3.2 hour drive back home. Constant steering corrections and trying not to look at the back of the trailer doing some wagging. The weird thing is when I got back into my truck after hooking up, Uconnect popped-up that tire jack mode was enabled. I took it out of tire jack mode and got an EVIC message saying that air suspension needed service. It stayed like that the whole way home plus it wouldn't go out of Aero height, even though I had tow/haul enabled. Never seen that before. Since unhooking and restarting truck, no air suspension warnings and the truck height modes work fine.

The RV dealer installed my Equalizer WDH, so I decided to go through a recheck of my own. With trailer and WDH on versus no weight, the front-end measurement is within 1/16". With the TT level and TV in normal ride height, the receiver is about 1" below the ball. I don't know if moving the ball down would make any significant difference. Any opinions?

BTW, the TT is a Shadow Cruiser 248RKS
GVWR7,516 Lbs
Dry Weight5,606 Lbs
Hitch Weight516 Lbs

20201019_134925.jpg

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New truck and new travel trailer first-timer. Tow #2 was not so much fun with 25-30ish MPH gusting winds during a 3.2 hour drive back home. Constant steering corrections and trying not to look at the back of the trailer doing some wagging. The weird thing is when I got back into my truck after hooking up, Uconnect popped-up that tire jack mode was enabled. I took it out of tire jack mode and got an EVIC message saying that air suspension needed service. It stayed like that the whole way home plus it wouldn't go out of Aero height, even though I had tow/haul enabled. Never seen that before. Since unhooking and restarting truck, no air suspension warnings and the truck height modes work fine.

The RV dealer installed my Equalizer WDH, so I decided to go through a recheck of my own. With trailer and WDH on versus no weight, the front-end measurement is within 1/16". With the TT level and TV in normal ride height, the receiver is about 1" below the ball. I don't know if moving the ball down would make any significant difference. Any opinions?

BTW, the TT is a Shadow Cruiser 248RKS
GVWR7,516 Lbs
Dry Weight5,606 Lbs
Hitch Weight516 Lbs

View attachment 72313
I don’t have air suspension on my Rebel. I have a heavy enclosed trailer and a heavy flatbed trailer that requires the weight distribution hitch, they are at different heights so I have to adjust the hitch on my truck every time I switch trailer, in your case, seeing the picture you show, I would lower your hitch 1” like you mentioned, to make the truck and trailer level. The trick to connect the WDH tension rods in my case is that after I connect the hitch to the trailer, I crank the tongue jack 3 or 4 inches then install the tension rods, after release the tongue jack to tension the rods and look to see if the truck and trailer is still level with the weight on. In your case you can raise your air suspension instead of the tongue jack. Happy trailering,

Users who are viewing this thread