5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking of buying a Challenger

Lize

Reaction score
I should be on another Forum but I'm thinking about buying a Challenger, I don't have any specific questions but wondered if anyone had recommendations, anecdotes or thoughts please?

Since I've got the Ram I hardly ever use my GTR, its not that its impractical or uncomfortable but somehow I find myself just getting in the Ram, maybe I am getting old. I'm thinking if I get a Challenger it'll be more like a normal car for beetling about in. I'm aware the two are very different but I don't think I'd mind the RWD only and not worried about a bit of drift and also I don't feel I need the absolute break neck speeds of the GTR on country lanes and such but do want it to be able to accelerate at a similar pace.

Thought about Mustang or ZL1 but not favouring those for appearance and seem more sports than muscle plus I've been very impressed with the smoothness of the Ram Hemi. I'm tending to think a wide body would be good and wondering if the extra cost and HP of the Redeye is worth it over the SRT. I've even started looking at colour choices, wondered about the lighter blue for a change.

Am hopefully going to see an SRT next week, probably not the one I will buy but should give me a better idea of what they are like and would be good to get any tips on what to look out for - I'm in the UK so there aren't loads of dealers where I can pop and have a look.

Thanks

Lize

Reaction score
Just thinking, the main difference will be transmission so any experience of either would be great to hear about. Favouring the Redeye for the auto for laziness, paddles and speed of change. But have 525HP HSV Maloo with LSA engine in manual so not ruling manual out.

Lize

Reaction score
I didn't have much luck with info on the Challenger forums I'd initially found but have since found hellcat.org which is great, thought I'd mention this one incase someone reads this thread at a later date. I've been able to read about things like 3.09 diff option.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You cant go wrong with a Challenger, the Widebody is a beautiful car. To be fair the Mustang with the 10a is stupid fast out of the box and a few bolt ons and tune will get you pretty close to beating normal Hellcats but its small and for me being 6'1 it wasnt the easiest to get in and out of. Personally my next car will be a Charger widebody, still not sure if it will be a scat pack or a hellcat but that will depend on when I get promoted to engineer.

antwon412

Reaction score
I had a 2009 RT. Six speed manual. 5.7. Hemi orange with a matte black T/A hood. Barton shifter. Flowmasters. Full suspension upgrade. That was a fun car. Wouldn’t mind having another to go along with my truck.

Attachments

• EAD9900C-99EC-47A2-A855-550B723DEA19.jpeg
    EAD9900C-99EC-47A2-A855-550B723DEA19.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 18

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn't have much luck with info on the Challenger forums I'd initially found but have since found hellcat.org which is great, thought I'd mention this one incase someone reads this thread at a later date. I've been able to read about things like 3.09 diff option.
Try Hellcatforum.org too. There was a change of ownership (and unwelcome changes) at HC.org a few months ago and many of the useful members (and their knowledge) migrated to HCF. There is still useful info on both sites but if you buy a HC and have questions (or just want to participate) I recommend HCF.

Mpickwith

Reaction score
My wife got a Challenger the day I bought my Ram. It’s just an SXT with a V6 but we love that thing! Handles very well and very comfortable. Not to mention they look great! Can’t go wrong with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m biased as I own a Hellcat however love all types of cars. The thing to remember with them they are NOT sports cars which they always get compared too for some ridiculous reason. They are a GT, big fast practical and fun. There is no better road trip car we use that takes all your luggage and you can adjust the ride quality from the big comfy couch to pretty sporty. Some fast Cars are fun some others that are faster are still boring. One car does not do all but a challenger configured properly can check a lot of boxes for cheap in comparison to most.

bvigne01

Reaction score
I had a 2011 SRT with a 6 Speed. Loved that car

Attachments

• 7D48F6AB-82F1-496A-ABE4-FE3FADF1C000.jpeg
    7D48F6AB-82F1-496A-ABE4-FE3FADF1C000.jpeg
    64.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 23A5BDE3-1F3D-490C-850E-A260D68F4AAB.jpeg
    23A5BDE3-1F3D-490C-850E-A260D68F4AAB.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 22
  • D3D126BD-CEEA-45C8-BD95-80D1E8D79D52.jpeg
    D3D126BD-CEEA-45C8-BD95-80D1E8D79D52.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 24
  • BDA68B6A-1CAF-405A-905C-2F81E3449371.jpeg
    BDA68B6A-1CAF-405A-905C-2F81E3449371.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 24

Lize

Reaction score
The thing to remember with them they are NOT sports cars which they always get compared too for some ridiculous reason. They are a GT, big fast practical and fun.
This is part of the attraction, I'm not even 50 yet and feel like something more comfy, I have been spoiled by the Ram.

Just thought I'd update, the Challenger was put on hold with lockdown but few weeks ago was I was offered an unregistered 2019 Redeye from Canada at a good price and decided to go for it! The only slight downside is that I definitely wouldn't have chosen black but there is room in the budget to wrap if it gets me down. Even when it arrives it'll unfortunately be a while before it I get as needs to be government inspected and they are currently closed. Can't wait!!

2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Black pic 3.png 2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye Black pic 2.png

ChPeter

Reaction score
I’ve had a 2016 SXT V6 for about a year and still would own it, if my insurance wouldn’t go crazy on it for nothing. It was beautiful, comfortable, the trunk is huge. The only downside of it for me was the huge blind spots (if you can call “spot” 1/2 acre ) I guess that’s not an issue with the recent models, as most of them I see, have BSM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That thing is bad ***!!!!!

I’m a fan of old muscle cars, the only new ones that interest me would be a challenger. I’ve considered getting one for a long time but, kids, house work etc have put it on hold. They look the best IMO

Lize

Reaction score
I’ve had a 2016 SXT V6 for about a year and still would own it, if my insurance wouldn’t go crazy on it for nothing. It was beautiful, comfortable, the trunk is huge. The only downside of it for me was the huge blind spots (if you can call “spot” 1/2 acre ) I guess that’s not an issue with the recent models, as most of them I see, have BSM
I think BSM is essential in the UK, at least on a truck, on 2 lane roads its very easy for a car to disappear in the blind spot and being LHD and high up you just can't see it from any angle. I had a near miss in my old F150 where I would have destroyed an MX5 had it not been for BSM, although I watch the rear mirror well before pulling out I just hadn't see him approach. Frankly you'd be an idiot to travel alongside rather than just getting passed but then the roads are full of them.

That thing is bad ***!!!!!

I’m a fan of old muscle cars, the only new ones that interest me would be a challenger. I’ve considered getting one for a long time but, kids, house work etc have put it on hold. They look the best IMO
I love the old ones too but its rare really good ones come up in the UK except at stupid prices and I've enough projects without taking on another.

I'm a very lucky girl, I don't have kids but its a shame my car fetish is more expensive than purses and shoes :LOL:.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think BSM is essential in the UK, at least on a truck, on 2 lane roads its very easy for a car to disappear in the blind spot and being LHD and high up you just can't see it from any angle. I had a near miss in my old F150 where I would have destroyed an MX5 had it not been for BSM, although I watch the rear mirror well before pulling out I just hadn't see him approach. Frankly you'd be an idiot to travel alongside rather than just getting passed but then the roads are full of them.

I love the old ones too but its rare really good ones come up in the UK except at stupid prices and I've enough projects without taking on another.

I'm a very lucky girl, I don't have kids but its a shame my car fetish is more expensive than purses and shoes :LOL:.

way, way cooler than purses and shoes.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm 6'3" and I rode in the back seat of my own Challenger to church one day. About a 30 minute drive. It was fine. Try that in a Camaro. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread