5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about upgrading to 3500 in MY22/23

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
When I got my truck in 2018, I'd planned on staying in the 1500 light use case sweet spot for the foreseeable future (mostly just errands, hauling the family and gear, Home Depot runs, rental ~3500# camper a few times a year, etc), but my use case will be substantially different starting next year.

Pre-covid throwing 2020 into chaos, I was on schedule to start traveling all up and down the east coast with separate trips to Chicago and Houston/Austin for 8-12 conventions per year plus customer deliveries within a ~300 mile radius, all while bumper towing an enclosed cargo trailer that's anywhere from 5k-10k# and 12-18'. Given the paltry payload and towing capacities I've got on my truck (1269# and 7269#, respectively), I was planning to rent a HD for each trip, but now I'm thinking about just buying a HD in the next couple of years, hopefully after the updated can comes out.

With the *BIG* caveat that I haven't actually driven a HD yet, and knowing full well that the 6.4 would suit my projected needs just fine, I like the idea of the 6.7. I've read up on the differences between the 2500 and 3500 and am leaning towards a 3500 specifically for payload reasons. I would want to spec a 2500/3500 out with pretty much the exact same options that I have now, and when I searched for a 6.7 SRW SB 2500 specced out the same, payload was a miserly 1600-1900# and change depending on crew cab or mega cab. Similarly specced 3500s were well over 3000#. Given that some of my convention trips will likely be 2-4 people in the cab plus several hundred pounds of gear in the Ramboxes and bed, along with the trailer weight, that makes the 2500 just about as useless for my payload use case as the 1500.

So, all that said, on paper I'm likely looking at a SRW SB CC/MC 3500 with the 6.7. The added cost of the 6.7 over the 6.4 is a non-issue, so I'm not worried about the upfront or ongoing/maintenance costs. I am concerned a bit by the DD role, so I'll likely hold off on making a go/no-go decision till the cab redesign, since I can use all the space I have in the 1500 CC, and see if there are any drivability changes with the updated body whenever that actually comes out, hopefully model year 2022/2023.

I'm test driving a 3500 CC SRW LB HO 6.7 Big Horn later this week, just so I can see what the drivability is like and actually have an understanding of what DD would be like.

On paper, the jump from 1500 to 3500 seems like it makes sense to me, but I'd appreciate any advice y'all might have!

Firebird

Reaction score
I’ve owned 6 heavy duties, 5 Cummins and one 6.4. As a heavy hauler, the Cummins is a beast, but for daily driving, I much preferred my 6.4

Firebird

Reaction score
Had I not fallen off a roof, I would still be in my 6.4

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
OP, how’d the 3500 test drive go? Are you making the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
OP, how’d the 3500 test drive go? Are you making the switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The dealership swapped out the Bighorn test drive for an almost loaded Limited. Still SRW/LB/HO, so pretty applicable besides the change in trim level.

Besides the ride being a bit rougher (though not *that* different from my 1500) than I'd prefer for a DD, I liked it! The HO is a beast and felt like a definite upgrade on my V6 for unladen around town driving. I drove both the 3500 and my 1500 back to back over the same ~5 mile route that approximates pretty much every type of traffic pattern/speed/road quality that I see in my daily driving so I could do a direct DD comparison of the two. Stronger engine performance and less lag than I have now (no issues with hard shifting, either, the tranny was pretty much invisible in the background), just a somewhat rougher ride over the more moonscape-y sections of the road. Gonna line up a 2500 test drive to see how the ride compares.

Definitely going to move up to a HD, now it's just a matter of waiting for the new cabs and picking which specific HD I go with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online