5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about trading for a 2020,whats changed?

1Raider

Reaction score
Looking into trading for a 2020, an was wondering what's changed? Looking into getting into the same truck other than color an rear end gear,want to try the 3.92 cause I do mostly in town and cant even get 13.5-14 in town.

Im having a hard time finding a tri coat white with tan bottom with the same options I have now is the only holdback...

Cudapower

Reaction score
Looking into trading for a 2020, an was wondering what's changed? Looking into getting into the same truck other than color an rear end gear,want to try the 3.92 cause I do mostly in town and cant even get 13.5-14 in town.

Im having a hard time finding a tri coat white with tan bottom with the same options I have now is the only holdback...
I run a 2019 with a 3.92 gear. I pull a trailer a lot and just love the truck. But I have thought that to just drive empty in town would be much better with the 3.21 gears. The reason is that with all the stop and go driving the first two gears are really too low for any use. So the truck shifts click click just getting off the stop. It also will somewhat harsh shift at low speeds and having to shift frequently taking off and stopping it can also be jerky. I like mine for towing but it can be jerky at slow speeds with the low gears.

TX_Phil

Reaction score
My 2019 4x4 has 3.92s and I love it. All the get up and go I could want. I just rolled 8000 miles and the computer says the life time mpgs are 19.2. I don't drive easy but not like a fool either. My daily commute was 95 miles round trip, about 60% hwy.

If you have a lead foot or try to drive it like sports car you will not be happy with the mileage. If you drive it like a 4000+ lb truck you can get respectable mileage.

All that said, I didn't buy this truck for mileage. So far I love everything about this truck. The look, the feel, the sound, all of it. I bought it to be used as a truck and so far so good.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Personally I have no clue what has changed, just know my buddy traded his 19 Longhorn in on a 20 Limited.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

If I were you, I’d wait a few short months for the 2021s. These should come with the new, much improved UConnect Gen5.

Cheers,

Turin

Reaction score
I run a 2019 with a 3.92 gear. [...] It also will somewhat harsh shift at low speeds and having to shift frequently taking off and stopping it can also be jerky. I like mine for towing but it can be jerky at slow speeds with the low gears.
My truck isn't jerky at all. It does move through gears quickly when taking off but other than a slight change in sound it isn't really noticeable. I get a bit of a surge when accelerating hard but even then I wouldn't describe it as "jerky." You might want to see if there's a transmission update for your truck, or maybe clear/reset it by pulling the negative battery cable.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not much difference between 2019 and 2020's. Certainly not enough to justify losing the amount of money you'll likely lose on that deal. My 2020 Laramie has 3.92's, and I'm lucky to see 12 mpg in city driving. I'm averaging under 15 mpg in my mixed 80% hwy/20% city driving. I'm guessing your biggest issue finding the truck you want is the rambox. It was for me when I was shopping. My girlfriend is shopping for a Limited with ramboxes right now, and she's having a hell of a time finding what she wants. My suggestion is to keep what you have. But if you really feel you must upgrade, you might want to wait until the factory starts back up and order exactly what you want.

Jaysond

Reaction score
You'd like to get 3.92's to get better in town mileage... Really can't see that happening. I've had two 2019's, the first one had 3.21's and my current one has 3.92's. Definitely got better mileage with my first '19 with the 3.21's, and that truck even had the Off-Road Pkg. You could buy a LOT of gas with the money you'll lose driving another new truck off the lot. If it's primarily about changing the color, that's a different story.

I traded to go from quad cab to crew cab, because I got a company truck & no longer needed my truck for work, but needed the back seat room of a crew cab 'cause the truck was now going to be used as a "family car" instead of a work truck, so my needs changed. My crew cab has the 3.92's and I don't like the low gears to be honest, miss the smoother, more relaxed feel of the 3.21 setup, and the lower RPM's on the highway. To each his own I guess. I do not miss the firm ride of the first truck with ORP, rode like a 3/4 ton truck in my opinion (and I've owned lots of trucks in the past 35 years). Put over 20,000 miles on that truck with ORP and I don't miss that package one bit for highway driving. Noiser with the AT tires as well. All the talk about the "buttery smooth" ride of the Ram trucks made no sense to me until I got rid of the truck with the ORP and got the standard suspension, now I get it.

If I traded again, next one would have 3.21 gears, Ram boxes, and split tailgate. Other than the split tailgate option, I can't even think of any other differences on the '20's vs the '19's..

myles

Reaction score

I don't think much changed from 2019 to 2020
2020:
- ecodiesel became avaiable
- no longer has a cd player, its just another cubby now
- different paint/2-tone options
those are the only obvious changes I could find.

1Raider

Reaction score
You'd like to get 3.92's to get better in town mileage... Really can't see that happening. I've had two 2019's, the first one had 3.21's and my current one has 3.92's. Definitely got better mileage with my first '19 with the 3.21's, and that truck even had the Off-Road Pkg. You could buy a LOT of gas with the money you'll lose driving another new truck off the lot. If it's primarily about changing the color, that's a different story.

I traded to go from quad cab to crew cab, because I got a company truck & no longer needed my truck for work, but needed the back seat room of a crew cab 'cause the truck was now going to be used as a "family car" instead of a work truck, so my needs changed. My crew cab has the 3.92's and I don't like the low gears to be honest, miss the smoother, more relaxed feel of the 3.21 setup, and the lower RPM's on the highway. To each his own I guess. I do not miss the firm ride of the first truck with ORP, rode like a 3/4 ton truck in my opinion (and I've owned lots of trucks in the past 35 years). Put over 20,000 miles on that truck with ORP and I don't miss that package one bit for highway driving. Noiser with the AT tires as well. All the talk about the "buttery smooth" ride of the Ram trucks made no sense to me until I got rid of the truck with the ORP and got the standard suspension, now I get it.

If I traded again, next one would have 3.21 gears, Ram boxes, and split tailgate. Other than the split tailgate option, I can't even think of any other differences on the '20's vs the '19's..

Did you truck have the Air Suspension? My truck rides good an have the ORP.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think much if anything has changed. I personally will probably wait until the refresh and updated gas power trains come along.

Users who are viewing this thread