5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about jumping ship or a 2020

Snakes709

Reaction score
Alright. So i traded my 2016 sport in for a 2019 due to the ****ty air ride system. Got my 2019 sport 3 months ago and have had multiple issues (why i decided to get the 1st year model of a new gen i have no clue). But like others my truck has suffered from no ac since day one, loud metallic clunk on cold starts, rough idle and stalling on cold starts, multiple recalls (not really an issue) and the key fobs not being detected. 3 different options im thinking.

1. Jumping ship and going with a Denali and watching my payments go through the roof

2. Dealership i bought my truck said they can get me into a new 2019 or wait a few months until the 2020’s are available in canada. 2019 isnt happening as they will probably have the same issues. Wondering if the 2020’s will have these same issues

3. Keep with my truck and deal with these issues.

Really regretting getting rid of my 2016. Only issue was the air ride and i could have replaced it with regular suspension.

cotonymopar

Reaction score
this is my 4th ram, love it, had 2 recalls, got them taken care of. will replace the brake pads when needed, and I do all my own maintenance, and I can keep track on what needs to be changed or modified. good luck..

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad I haven't had any issues with my 2019. Will be a year and over 13K at the end of this month. I've probably had 5-6 recalls but other then that no issues other then the brake pedel has a slight squeak to it.

Snakes709

Reaction score
this is my 4th ram, love it, had 2 recalls, got them taken care of. will replace the brake pads when needed, and I do all my own maintenance, and I can keep track on what needs to be changed or modified. good luck..

This is my 4th as well (05 srt-10, 2015 Base Lt, 2016 sport and now 2019 sport)

Just sick of issues and FCA being stupid with the air ride left a sour taste about their products.

KSOTI

Reaction score
Recommend check the GMC forums and see how thier trucks are performing. Dont let your frustration with FCA get the better of you. They would be more than happy to upsell you into another more expensive vehicle! Let it motivate you to stay on their *** to fix their problems at least until you get closer to your warranty expires then make a decision. Just my humble opinion.....

FishNitro

Reaction score
I would not go into option #1 blindly... By all means go drive one but take a good hard look at the fit and finish especially the interior. I don't think you will be impressed especially after driving a Ram.

FWIW up intil i got my Ram i owned nothing but GM trucks, mostly Chevy's and there is a reason i am not driving one now and why i got a Ram. My 2014 Silverado was by all accounts a turd. It was in the shop constantly. Mine was a LTZ with the 6.2l motor and every option they had to offer. The only good part about that truck was the 6.2l motor and how strong it was, everything else was a disappointment especially the freeway shakes that i could never get to go away that literally would make my wife car sick. In 80k that truck was in the shop over 20 times for break fix items and safety recalls and some of those break fix items were big like a busted intake valve spring that also trashed the AFM lifter in that cylinder and the cam. That literally averages out to once every 4k for something broken. It's a truck not an old Jaguar, there is no reason for it to be in the shop that much. For a truck that stickered for almost 60k in 2014 you could say i was quite disappointed. Until that point i have had great service from Silverado's, the 2006 i had before it was the high point. I put over 200k on that truck with only normal maint and my nephew still drives that truck and its just as reliable with almost 300k on the clock now.

When i decided my 2014 had to go I looked at the 2019 Chevy High country and the 2019 Sierra Denali. I was not at all impressed with them despite really wanting to like them due to brand loyalty. The interiors in both trucks felt and looked cheap, when i say cheap i mean really plasticy. The compartment doors felt really flimsy etc. Especially the compartments they put in the rear seats, i felt like the interior quality was straight out of the 80's. Driving the truck was not much different than my 2014, felt the same but with one big difference. I felt like i could feel the frame flexing when i hit bumps. The transmission felt no better than my 2014's issue plagued 6 speed, it still hesitated when the AFM kicked in etc. I also drove multiple trucks as multiple dealers and some of them had strange quality control issues like one shook really bad at any speed over 45 like it had an out of balance tire, another the steering wheel was not centered and it wandered and another had a check engine light on. There were all brand new vehicles that still had the shipping plastic on them. Those issues were not a confidence builder by any means.... Overall the trucks simply did not give me the feeling that they deserved to be priced close to 70g for what i would be getting. That is what drove me to look at other options after decades of GM ownership. I am glad i looked at other options because i could not be happier with my Ram to date, i have put ~8k on it and not a single issue, just an oil change.

pgers22

Reaction score
i also traded my 2014 ram 1500 sport to get into a GMC all terrain 1500 and only to find my way back to a 19 rebel 1500. no issues so far, knock wood, but i would honestly not test the waters of going outside FCA for sure. see what they can do for you and maybe try a 2020 model.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep your truck. Make a detailed list of your issues and take them to your service manager. Research this forum for solutions to the problems your truck has and provide those to your service manager as well. You should have a 3yr/36,000 bumper-to-bumper warranty....use it. If your dealership can't fix it; try another dealership. If the other dealership can't fix it; work with RAM Cares. Mine has problems too; but I'm not going to eat the expense. I will keep taking it back until I get resolution.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I would not jump ship unless money is no concern for you. 2020's will still have issues and we have yet to see if they will have the same issues. You are still under warranty so along with buying a new truck in a re-make year it's a given there will be issues to address under warranty. I have a close friend with a 2019 Denali truck who wants to ditch his rig on his wife and buy a RAM after riding (and driving) mine a few times. She is currently needing a new ride. His wife is wanting a jeep so currently there is a stand-off, lol. Do what's best for you under your circumstances is all I can say!

Snakes709

Reaction score
95% gonna go for it. Took out a fully loaded denali but price is to steep with alot of options i dont want. So looking at a AT4 which has everything i want and not what i dont want. Has higher payload limit which was a issue with my ram, needing to haul 2 motorbikes across the country.

So payments are abit more but its one less year of finance and less interest. So financially its pretty good.

Im just sick of having issues with rams. I know everyone vehicle with every make will have issues but its the amount of headaches they cause

Attachments

• 2E7D0457-7639-45E0-9140-FF2EBCA9C26B.jpeg
    2E7D0457-7639-45E0-9140-FF2EBCA9C26B.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 99

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
95% gonna go for it. Took out a fully loaded denali but price is to steep with alot of options i dont want. So looking at a AT4 which has everything i want and not what i dont want. Has higher payload limit which was a issue with my ram, needing to haul 2 motorbikes across the country.

So payments are abit more but its one less year of finance and less interest. So financially its pretty good.

Im just sick of having issues with rams. I know everyone vehicle with every make will have issues but its the amount of headaches they cause
Ok, see ya, hope you enjoy it! Whatever fits your fancy is the way I look at it!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You have to do what makes you happy. If you can afford the loss then it shouldn't even be a question. I usually determine my cost (loss) by the bottom line instead of payments (lost value of current truck, dealers fees, taxes, registration, title, etc..); some people just look at monthly payments and that's fine too. Good luck to you and I hope that you are satisfied with whatever decision you make.

Differia

Reaction score
If you can afford go for it. No point in owning something your not happy with.:)

KSOTI

Reaction score

Thats a damn fine looking truck!!! They got you hooked!!!! There is no cure for truck fever. Recommend staying off the car lots. LOL. Good Luck!

Love2driveRAM19

Reaction score
Did you try going the lemon law route with your RAM if the a/c is not fixed by now?

Bottom line do what makes you happy and what you can live with on the swap/exchange/loss etc. Good luck on whatever you decide!!!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Good luck!

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did you try going the lemon law route with your RAM if the a/c is not fixed by now?

Bottom line do what makes you happy and what you can live with on the swap/exchange/loss etc. Good luck on whatever you decide!!!

He's Canadian, we don't have lemon laws here unfortunately.

Snakes709

Reaction score
Yea im Canadian so no lemon law here. Did the deal. Someone even with the negative equity the lower interest and 1 year shorter term equals less overall amount owing. Picking the new 2019 GMC AT4 with the 6.2 engine and 10 speed transmission up on thursday.

ddharris

Reaction score
Yea im Canadian so no lemon law here. Did the deal. Someone even with the negative equity the lower interest and 1 year shorter term equals less overall amount owing. Picking the new 2019 GMC AT4 with the 6.2 engine and 10 speed transmission up on thursday.
Please report back and tell us your experience with the GMC.

Users who are viewing this thread