5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about a 2019 Limited ... questions!

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Hi all! The quick backstory is I've owned a lot of Fords, and never a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. I had a 2011 F-150 Lariat where the rear slider failed, the touch screen colors went funky, and then the sunroof broke in the tilted-up position (the first two less than 3 months after the warranty ended, the sunroof was a year out of warranty). I dumped it and got a 2015 F-150 Lariat, loaded. The brakes have made a tick-tick noise when coming to a stop since ~2,500 miles, and there's been a weird vibration noise since ~350 miles when under light throttle at about 25-30mph (sounds like the transmission). Just a few weeks ago, the front diff was rebuilt (a new vibration), front tires were replaced (I had the rears replaced at 27k back in August of 2018). Now I have a vibration somewhere in the truck that flares up my tinnitus and makes me close to throwing up after several miles on the highway. To say that I'm upset, would be a gross understatement. My local dealer network doesn't seem to care or want to look at it, so I'm thinking about jumping ship, and the new Chevy/GMC trucks are ... dated already.

Ok, now that that is out of the way, I'm looking at the 2019 RAM 1500 Limited as a replacement for my F-150 and I have a number of questions (I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks looking for common issues:

1. I've seen that gas mileage is poor, are there any other major complaints or first-year issues?

2. I noticed that Motor Trend got their "Real MPG" at just over 20mpg for a 5.7 w/eTorque in a Limited. They said they had the 3.92 gears. The eTorque V8 isn't widely-ordered around here, so I don't have one to test drive right now - should I try harder to test drive one before just pulling the trigger on the regular 5.7?

3. What's the price range for a "good" deal? I'm not looking for the deal of a lifetime, just what people are actually buying a Limited for. The one I test drove last weekend stickered at $69,309 IIRC. I always aimed for 20% off MSRP on my Fords.

4. Any "must have" options? The Limited is pretty-well loaded, but so far, mine are: RAM Box, 3.92 gearing, Level 1 Equipment Group, 33-gallon fuel tank, Trailer Brake Control. I'm used to the low-end torque of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, so I figure the 3.92s are a necessity to equal the acceleration.

5. How do you all get into and out of the bed? I have bad knees, and I'm used to Ford's tailgate step. As I understand it, the under-bumper Mopar step is still in engineering. I don't use my bed every day, but when I do, I'm hauling gravel, mulch, dirt, firewood, logs, and luggage - my truck is the family's road trip vehicle.

6. I have yet to see a payload sticker for a Limited with the eTorque 5.7, what should I expect in that regard? I don't tow a lot, or much weight, but I have been known to load down my truck to capacity. The truck I test drove had a payload of 1,273lbs, which is 302 less than my F-150.

My first test drive was a quick one (I was time-limited with 2 little ones at home), but I was impressed by the air ride suspension, and handling seemed ok. Power was pretty good out of the 5.7. The interior is drool-worthy, and that 12" touch screen is phenomenal! Room inside is good, as are all the little cubbies and storage pockets.

Thanks for reading through my diatribe - help this long-time Ford guy get up to speed on the new RAM!

-John

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all! The quick backstory is I've owned a lot of Fords, and never a Dodge/Chrysler vehicle. I had a 2011 F-150 Lariat where the rear slider failed, the touch screen colors went funky, and then the sunroof broke in the tilted-up position (the first two less than 3 months after the warranty ended, the sunroof was a year out of warranty). I dumped it and got a 2015 F-150 Lariat, loaded. The brakes have made a tick-tick noise when coming to a stop since ~2,500 miles, and there's been a weird vibration noise since ~350 miles when under light throttle at about 25-30mph (sounds like the transmission). Just a few weeks ago, the front diff was rebuilt (a new vibration), front tires were replaced (I had the rears replaced at 27k back in August of 2018). Now I have a vibration somewhere in the truck that flares up my tinnitus and makes me close to throwing up after several miles on the highway. To say that I'm upset, would be a gross understatement. My local dealer network doesn't seem to care or want to look at it, so I'm thinking about jumping ship, and the new Chevy/GMC trucks are ... dated already.

Ok, now that that is out of the way, I'm looking at the 2019 RAM 1500 Limited as a replacement for my F-150 and I have a number of questions (I have been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks looking for common issues:

1. I've seen that gas mileage is poor, are there any other major complaints or first-year issues?

2. I noticed that Motor Trend got their "Real MPG" at just over 20mpg for a 5.7 w/eTorque in a Limited. They said they had the 3.92 gears. The eTorque V8 isn't widely-ordered around here, so I don't have one to test drive right now - should I try harder to test drive one before just pulling the trigger on the regular 5.7?

3. What's the price range for a "good" deal? I'm not looking for the deal of a lifetime, just what people are actually buying a Limited for. The one I test drove last weekend stickered at $69,309 IIRC. I always aimed for 20% off MSRP on my Fords.

4. Any "must have" options? The Limited is pretty-well loaded, but so far, mine are: RAM Box, 3.92 gearing, Level 1 Equipment Group, 33-gallon fuel tank, Trailer Brake Control. I'm used to the low-end torque of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, so I figure the 3.92s are a necessity to equal the acceleration.

5. How do you all get into and out of the bed? I have bad knees, and I'm used to Ford's tailgate step. As I understand it, the under-bumper Mopar step is still in engineering. I don't use my bed every day, but when I do, I'm hauling gravel, mulch, dirt, firewood, logs, and luggage - my truck is the family's road trip vehicle.

6. I have yet to see a payload sticker for a Limited with the eTorque 5.7, what should I expect in that regard? I don't tow a lot, or much weight, but I have been known to load down my truck to capacity. The truck I test drove had a payload of 1,273lbs, which is 302 less than my F-150.

My first test drive was a quick one (I was time-limited with 2 little ones at home), but I was impressed by the air ride suspension, and handling seemed ok. Power was pretty good out of the 5.7. The interior is drool-worthy, and that 12" touch screen is phenomenal! Room inside is good, as are all the little cubbies and storage pockets.

Thanks for reading through my diatribe - help this long-time Ford guy get up to speed on the new RAM!

-John

1. MPG seems to be either bad or just fine depending on who you ask. I'm driving what you're after right now and getting very decent mileage. Going in Mon for the three RRT's and if I get another 2-3 MPG it will exceed my expectations.
2. I really like eTorque. Love it when going through a drive through and it shuts off every time I stop. I then REALLY love it when eTorque restarts because the Hemi exhaust sound without any starter sound is awesome. I've seen a lot of heads turned. I got it when it was $800 more so I'm not sure it pencils out anymore but it is strange to get higher city mileage than highway!
3. I had affiliate pricing but the dealer just took my word for it and never asked for the number which tells me you could get the same deal by haggling. Mine sticker at just under $70K and I paid $58K.
4. I got it loaded as you can see in sig below and love it. The only thing I might have done differently is the ORP so I'd ride lower and get a slightly softer ride. If you don't need those and can use any of the ORP features, then it is a great value.
5. The Bed Step is the best OEM solution out there, IMHO. I couldn't get the dealer to pony up for it so I bought myself and installed. Disappears when not needed and is perfect height for me any my wife to climb right in. It will be back and you can always install yourself, or cheaper still, get it factory installed if ordering.
6. Payload for a loaded Limited is on the slim side. As I recall, mine is under 1200 lbs. There's a spreadsheet on the site that lists all of the option weights but the pano sunroof and RamBox takes a toll.

Overall, I LOVE this truck. I'm not religious about trucks and almost pulled the trigger on an F150 Limited fall before last. SO glad I didn't as the Ram is an upgrade in almost every way. Better ride, interior, tech, storage, on and on...

Cannonball

Reaction score
3. 20% off msrp is attainable on a limited and is a solid target to shoot for (all rebates and incentives included). I was 60k msrp down to 47.3k before ttl but i believe this is an uncommonly good price from back in October.

4. 3.92 and rambox for sure!
May I ask why you want the level 1? I can tell you first hand the alpine sound is just as good as the HK which leaves $3,000 for a camera and safety features. Not knocking the package just always wondered if the price was worth it (wasn't for me)
Also, save the 500 bucks on your 33 gal tank. I don't know any family that can road trip straight for 4 hours without stopping for a bathroom break! Plus the 26 gal will add 70lbs to your payload capacity.
Lastly would be the soul search of the need for 4x4 vs 4x2. Depends of course where you live! I'm obviously biased to the 4x2 with e locker!

5. The air suspension drops the tail gate down to less than 2 feet off the ground in entry mode (anyone actually measure this yet?). I can't speak to the mopar step but the air alone could help save your knees as well.

6. See 33 gal tank comment above! I'm 1417 in a fairly low optioned limited 4x2 with ramboxes.

Good luck!

djwdjw

Reaction score
1. I can get the EPA numbers and beat the highway number with minimal effort on my eTorque. Overall I am satisfied, others with different driving styles and those heavier on the gas pedal might not be.

2. I love the eTorque for all the same reasons mentioned above. I do not think I would have bought a non-eTorque truck. It is key to get happy with #1.

3. If you have the time and energy I think a legit, real $$ 20% off MSRP (i.e. not with trade-in games) is possible if you can position for the all the incentives (conquest, other lease, certificates [usaa, penfed] etc., whatever is around when you decide to start the process). Timing and dealer position against their monthly plan will also play a part, as well as your patience and getting dealerships to compete for your business on a truck in stock. If time is value to you I think anything over 18% is probably pretty good.

4. I would not have gone for the 3.92. I would have liked ram boxes, I think, but there were none to be had anywhere near me on lots and I wanted to deal an on-the-lot truck.

5. A bolt-on Mopar step is handy but a Bedrug XLT makes it a doddle even with my crappy knees.

6. 1200-1300 should be expected.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The mpg question is dependent on the driver. If you are asking questions about low end grunt and acceleration, you won't be the type to get more than 16-17 mog average. That being said, the Ford Limited with 3.5 EB typically gets 16 mpg average with drivers that "don't have time" to drive it for good mpg. I have 2 salesman at work that drive Ford EB trucks on sales routes and neither one gets anywhere near their EPA ratings. They wouldn't do much better with the 5.7 eTorque. The Ram is a steel truck so its handicapped vs. the lighter Ford.

The reason I own a Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 is because the truck rides better, looks better, and has a far supperior interior to any others. I really like the Ramboxes as well.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
1. MPG seems to be either bad or just fine depending on who you ask. I'm driving what you're after right now and getting very decent mileage. Going in Mon for the three RRT's and if I get another 2-3 MPG it will exceed my expectations.

What are the "RRTs"?

2. I really like eTorque. Love it when going through a drive through and it shuts off every time I stop. I then REALLY love it when eTorque restarts because the Hemi exhaust sound without any starter sound is awesome. I've seen a lot of heads turned. I got it when it was $800 more so I'm not sure it pencils out anymore but it is strange to get higher city mileage than highway!

I think I'm ambivalent about eTorque at this point... I ran an Excel spreadsheet, and since I run premium in my 3.5 EcoBoost and would run mid-grade in the RAM, the cost is a wash for what I'm currently getting (16mpg). Good to know it helps, though.

I thought I read that even the regular 5.7 has auto stop/start?

3. I had affiliate pricing but the dealer just took my word for it and never asked for the number which tells me you could get the same deal by haggling. Mine sticker at just under $70K and I paid $58K.
4. I got it loaded as you can see in sig below and love it. The only thing I might have done differently is the ORP so I'd ride lower and get a slightly softer ride. If you don't need those and can use any of the ORP features, then it is a great value.

What is the ORP? Off-Road Package? I thought it would ride stiffer than the regular air suspension on the Limited? I didn't know about ride height, that's good info. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding... I'm used to Ford-speak LOL.

5. The Bed Step is the best OEM solution out there, IMHO. I couldn't get the dealer to pony up for it so I bought myself and installed. Disappears when not needed and is perfect height for me any my wife to climb right in. It will be back and you can always install yourself, or cheaper still, get it factory installed if ordering.

Good to know you can install yourself. From what I understand, there's a wiring harness that has to be moved when installing it, and RAM isn't sure where to put it? What did you do?

6. Payload for a loaded Limited is on the slim side. As I recall, mine is under 1200 lbs. There's a spreadsheet on the site that lists all of the option weights but the pano sunroof and RamBox takes a toll.

The storage and comfort are greater needs right now, versus the heavier payloads I used to have. I can always get a trailer from U-Haul for under $20 for a day, if I need to haul heavier stuff. I was more curious if the eTorque option lowers the payload even further. I remember reading a review of a RAM a year or two ago where the testers couldn't use their normal 1,000lbs of ballast weight to test a laden truck, because the RAM's payload sticker said 990lbs.

Overall, I LOVE this truck. I'm not religious about trucks and almost pulled the trigger on an F150 Limited fall before last. SO glad I didn't as the Ram is an upgrade in almost every way. Better ride, interior, tech, storage, on and on...

I remember when Ford had all the tech goodies, and RAM and GM were slow on the uptake. Now the tables have turned, and Ford isn't really adding anything (ok, they have the Pro Trailer Assist, which I think is neat, but I've not tried it out. Oh, and I still think the tailgate step is the best for bed access).

3. 20% off msrp is attainable on a limited and is a solid target to shoot for (all rebates and incentives included). I was 60k msrp down to 47.3k before ttl but i believe this is an uncommonly good price from back in October.

4. 3.92 and rambox for sure!
May I ask why you want the level 1? I can tell you first hand the alpine sound is just as good as the HK which leaves $3,000 for a camera and safety features. Not knocking the package just always wondered if the price was worth it (wasn't for me)
Also, save the 500 bucks on your 33 gal tank. I don't know any family that can road trip straight for 4 hours without stopping for a bathroom break! Plus the 26 gal will add 70lbs to your payload capacity.
Lastly would be the soul search of the need for 4x4 vs 4x2. Depends of course where you live! I'm obviously biased to the 4x2 with e locker!

I want the Level 1 because I'm a glutton for punishment (ie, new tech), but more so because those bells and whistles I use ALL the time. I use adaptive cruise every day, the cameras every day, the park assist every day, you get the point. Sometimes my neck acts up and I can't turn it so well, so all that stuff saves my bacon. Plus, I'm protected if my wife wants to drive the truck (in 7+ years of owning trucks, she's yet to drive them 100ft combined!) The 33-gallon tank comes in quite handy on road trips, because we *can* go 4+ hours of driving without stopping (toddler is still in diapers, infant, ok, maybe not), but two things come to mind, since I have the 36-gallon tank in my current truck: 1, gas is cheaper here than at my in-laws, by a good bit. If I can go 530 miles on one tank, I'm good to drive up there and back before filling the tank again. 2, with the amount of miles I drive for my daily commute, it means I only have to fill up once a week, instead of twice.

5. The air suspension drops the tail gate down to less than 2 feet off the ground in entry mode (anyone actually measure this yet?). I can't speak to the mopar step but the air alone could help save your knees as well.

Yeah, that's pretty sweet!

6. See 33 gal tank comment above! I'm 1417 in a fairly low optioned limited 4x2 with ramboxes.

Good luck!
The mpg question is dependent on the driver. If you are asking questions about low end grunt and acceleration, you won't be the type to get more than 16-17 mog average. That being said, the Ford Limited with 3.5 EB typically gets 16 mpg average with drivers that "don't have time" to drive it for good mpg. I have 2 salesman at work that drive Ford EB trucks on sales routes and neither one gets anywhere near their EPA ratings. They wouldn't do much better with the 5.7 eTorque. The Ram is a steel truck so its handicapped vs. the lighter Ford.

The reason I own a Ram 1500 Limited 4x4 is because the truck rides better, looks better, and has a far supperior interior to any others. I really like the Ramboxes as well.

Thanks for your input! I usually drive with the flow of traffic (which may or may not be the speed limit), but am quick to use acceleration from a stop in order to get in front of the cell phone crowd. Acceleration also comes in handy to do a quick lane change to avoid one of them. They're like ants around here, seemingly everywhere.

Thanks all for your input, see my blue text above in response to your questions/statements.

Such a friendly forum, so far ;)

-John

VdMer

Reaction score
Some thoughts below. I came from an F150 myself ('16, Lariat as well). Honestly, I think you're going to find that you're upgrading on so many more fronts that some of these questions may be debates for the 1% class. I do not miss my F150 in the slightest, doubt you will either.

1. Most are recorded on this site. I don't know how you can draw a correlation to the % impact this is in the real world, but it seems to be a small % of unfixable problems on this site. The nuisance list seems to be: Drain Plugs, Uconnect SW updates, eTorque SW updates, Air Suspension concerns in extreme cold seem to be most ones I see. (nowhere close to the volume and 4-year running issue of Ford Door Latch in cold weather)

2. I would drive both. Recognize that you're talking 10-15% 'estimated' gain/loss. If all things are equal on a lot available, I'd say it's a coin toss. Personally, have eTorque. Never notice it to any great degree. Start/Stop is great - way better than Ford's abruptness...I actually like that slightly audible rumble when it quarter rolls forward, most can't feel it. 2.5K miles and since delivery avg 18mph on hand calc. About 1.5-2MPG less than my F150.

3. Depends on rebates etc. I think 17-20% is the target % off MSRP.

4. As you say, Limited is pretty-well loaded. I would agree on the 33-gallon fuel tank. You said you don't tow a lot or much weight...so consider volume/Freq of towing and personal bias on 3.9. Maybe read up/youtube on eTorque and draw your own conclusions. Sounds like another draw to me.

5. Ram Step is like 50$ or get after. If you get the Limited with AirSuspension, your key fob will offer entry/exit lowering. It's a total of ~9" vertical gain/loss. That coupled with Ram step for bed should be hip friendly.

6. see 4. Good luck!

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Thanks VdMer!

2. Ford's auto stop/start is hit or miss - they really nailed it on EcoSport and Escape, but in the F-150s I've had as loaners, it was slower to start the engine (I assumed because the F-150 engines are much larger), and more rumble. I didn't experience it on my short test drive of the RAM Limited. My 2015 doesn't have auto stop/start, but I'm pretty sure it'll come in handy.

4. I'll have to drive a 3.21 truck to see if I notice the difference. Both of my F-150s have had the 3.55 gears, which I think are a sweet spot for quick acceleration versus highway fuel economy.

5. I saw a video yesterday (which I then sent to my wife LOL) which showed the key fob lowering the truck. That is SO neat! She asked why we would need running boards if the truck could lower itself - I said it just made it even easier - she might even be able to load our kids into the truck (she can't lift them high enough to put them into my F-150).

6. Thanks!

-John

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Well, I bought a 2019 Limited last weekend!

I skipped the RAM Boxes since I need the bed space more, and it was a grand less. The sticker on this sucker was already tickling $70k. I DID get the 3.92/limited slip diff and eTorque. So far at 150 miles or so, I'm averaging 14.2 according to the lie-o-meter on the dash. It's been creeping up by 1mpg daily. I LOVE the auto stop/start!

I got Level 1, body colored bumpers, the aforementioned drivetrain, it's a 4x4, pano roof, and indigo/frost interior, which is GORGEOUS! Can't wait to pile some more miles on this truck.

So far I have changed most of the settings in uConnect to my liking, but the mirrors are a sticking point. They are shorter vertically than the truck I traded in, so I can either see what's around me OR the lower half of my truck, but not both. I currently have them set to lower in reverse, but they go too far in that mode - can they be adjusted?

Also, is there a way to change how the back-of-the-steering-wheel audio controls work? I want to scroll through my SiriusXM presets instead of channel-by-channel.

I think I ended up getting about 15% off sticker, but the dealer was really easy to work with and the F&I guy gave some deep discounts on his stuff, so at the end of the day I'm happy with the deal I got. My wife even likes it, so bonus!

Thanks all!

-John

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You will be happier with your choice every day. I am at 14,000+ miles on my Limited with 3.92 and e-Torque and my MPG Avg has steadily increased to around 17.8 MPG. I have heard others say the Adaptive Cruise uses more gas to keep the proper distance but I have found this to be the opposite as it seems to do a better job than I can with the coasting and feathering the gas pedal. I am switching to Full Synthetic Mobil1 oil in a month or so and hope to see a slight bump in MPG from that also. The truck tows like a dream and even when I have overloaded the payload by 1000 pounds it still handles great and has no issues in handling or braking. The air suspension is amazing and will still raise to Normal when way overloaded.
Great choice and welcome to the club!

Ram92131

Reaction score
Well, I bought a 2019 Limited last weekend!

I skipped the RAM Boxes since I need the bed space more, and it was a grand less. The sticker on this sucker was already tickling $70k. I DID get the 3.92/limited slip diff and eTorque. So far at 150 miles or so, I'm averaging 14.2 according to the lie-o-meter on the dash. It's been creeping up by 1mpg daily. I LOVE the auto stop/start!

I got Level 1, body colored bumpers, the aforementioned drivetrain, it's a 4x4, pano roof, and indigo/frost interior, which is GORGEOUS! Can't wait to pile some more miles on this truck.

So far I have changed most of the settings in uConnect to my liking, but the mirrors are a sticking point. They are shorter vertically than the truck I traded in, so I can either see what's around me OR the lower half of my truck, but not both. I currently have them set to lower in reverse, but they go too far in that mode - can they be adjusted?

Also, is there a way to change how the back-of-the-steering-wheel audio controls work? I want to scroll through my SiriusXM presets instead of channel-by-channel.

I think I ended up getting about 15% off sticker, but the dealer was really easy to work with and the F&I guy gave some deep discounts on his stuff, so at the end of the day I'm happy with the deal I got. My wife even likes it, so bonus!

Thanks all!

-John
Welcome. I also have that interior and love it so far.

The button in the center behind the left steering wheel arm will cycle through your presets. Or at least it does on mine and did on my previous Jeep.

DraKhen99

Reaction score
You will be happier with your choice every day. I am at 14,000+ miles on my Limited with 3.92 and e-Torque and my MPG Avg has steadily increased to around 17.8 MPG. I have heard others say the Adaptive Cruise uses more gas to keep the proper distance but I have found this to be the opposite as it seems to do a better job than I can with the coasting and feathering the gas pedal. I am switching to Full Synthetic Mobil1 oil in a month or so and hope to see a slight bump in MPG from that also. The truck tows like a dream and even when I have overloaded the payload by 1000 pounds it still handles great and has no issues in handling or braking. The air suspension is amazing and will still raise to Normal when way overloaded.
Great choice and welcome to the club!

Thanks! The air suspension on my truck may be problematic - it doesn't want to automatically deviate from Entry/Exit mode like it's supposed to... oops.

Welcome. I also have that interior and love it so far.

The button in the center behind the left steering wheel arm will cycle through your presets. Or at least it does on mine and did on my previous Jeep.

Thanks. I'm using the up/down buttons located where you specified - are you talking about using the middle button to cycle through presets?

-John

Fidomac

Reaction score

-John
$10,000 off msrp is common in my area..on a limited...... I get about 18 on the highway and 15 in town with my non-etorque Hemi

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Well, I ended up getting about $10k off sticker. The OTD price was good enough for me to pull the trigger... and I love this truck!

Also, Ram92131, I found the center button scrolls through your presets, so thanks for pointing me in that direction! Now I guess I'll set my 2nd set of 6 presets to match the first... I only ever listen to 6 stations. Or, maybe it's time I find some new ones I like?

-John

Users who are viewing this thread