5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things needed for alpha obd for 2020 ram

John999

Reaction score
I realize there are multiple discussions on alpha obd but I’m trying to narrow down what I need to purchase for a 2020 2500 tradesman. So far I just need it for tire size (leveled on 35s) and I plan to add bed lights. Can someone tell me what I need to purchase? Thanks for any help!

mplaramie

Reaction score
You need the 12+8 Chrysler security cable and a Bluetooth OBD reader. I use a Vgate Vlinker MC+ for my OBD reader.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I realize there are multiple discussions on alpha obd but I’m trying to narrow down what I need to purchase for a 2020 2500 tradesman. So far I just need it for tire size (leveled on 35s) and I plan to add bed lights. Can someone tell me what I need to purchase? Thanks for any help!
You are better off with this: "Use the kaodtech style bypass instead, and you won’t have to mess with accessing the SGM." got that from another thread. Otherwise, you need to remove the instrument cluster to get to the bypass location on a HD. Also, you might have better luck in the Homepage - HD Rams forum. This is the 5th Gen 1500 Rams site.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You need the 12+8 Chrysler security cable and a Bluetooth OBD reader. I use a Vgate Vlinker MC+ for my OBD reader.

No, not on an HD.

You are better off with this: "Use the kaodtech style bypass instead, and you won’t have to mess with accessing the SGM." got that from another thread. Otherwise, you need to remove the instrument cluster to get to the bypass location on a HD. Also, you might have better luck in the Homepage - HD Rams forum. This is the 5th Gen 1500 Rams site.

This.

The KAOdTECH cable plugs into the CAN bus blocks that are behind the headlight bezel (just pull it off) and easy to access.

FYI, I have both an OBDLink MX+ and a VGATE vLinker MC+ and the MC+ has been a royal PITA with the "BLE" only (or is it?) nature of the device wanting to show up as an iOS device on my Android phone. Trying to get it setup with Torque was a nightmare and trashed my existing Uconnect connection several times so I lost all my favorites in the phone settings, etc.. Then randomly it would disconnect and then randomly show as the Android (BL) device. Gave up and put he MX+ back in.

That said, it might be the phone (S9) as there's some scuttle that the BLE on the S9 is flakey.

John999

Reaction score
No, not on an HD.

This.

The KAOdTECH cable plugs into the CAN bus blocks that are behind the headlight bezel (just pull it off) and easy to access.

FYI, I have both an OBDLink MX+ and a VGATE vLinker MC+ and the MC+ has been a royal PITA with the "BLE" only (or is it?) nature of the device wanting to show up as an iOS device on my Android phone. Trying to get it setup with Torque was a nightmare and trashed my existing Uconnect connection several times so I lost all my favorites in the phone settings, etc.. Then randomly it would disconnect and then randomly show as the Android (BL) device. Gave up and put he MX+ back in.

That said, it might be the phone (S9) as there's some scuttle that the BLE on the S9 is flakey.
Thank you! I ordered the KAOdTECH cable and I’ve been doing a little research and many people have the same complaint as you with android. I’m on iOS so it doesn’t seem like the complaints are there. With that said I’m leaning more towards the OBDLink MX+. Once again thank you for your input/help!

John999

Reaction score
Thank you for the help! Also appreciate the heads up as I was unaware this was the 1500 rams site!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! I ordered the KAOdTECH cable and I’ve been doing a little research and many people have the same complaint as you with android. I’m on iOS so it doesn’t seem like the complaints are there. With that said I’m leaning more towards the OBDLink MX+. Once again thank you for your input/help!

When you get that KAOdTECH cable, trim a little off the edge of the sharp catch on the connector spring clip for ease of removal. They can be a b*tch to get unclipped otherwise.

On mine, I didn't remove the clip completely, just took the sharp edge off at the opposite angle leaving a sort of small bump so it provides some grip, but not so much that I can't just pull them out. I'd guess it wouldn't matter if it was completely shaved off.

1703916033872.png

Users who are viewing this thread