5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Things FCA needs to work on

Newtododge

Reaction score
As I own my truck longer and longer I really feel like FCA could do a better job at making the hands free more useable. I travel all over the country for work and drive at least 6/10 hours a day 7 days a week. When I want to make a call for example I have to either voice call using VR( which doesn’t work well for me) or because I can’t dial on the screen I have to pick up my phone, look down at it and dial. Why can’t I from the screen? Why have wireless charging if I have to plug my phone to use CarPlay? Kinda pointless for me. I don’t use the on screen nav because the input mode is horribly slow to input and then usually doesn’t find the address because it’s fixed on a prior location or state. We are in 2019 and the navigation is slower than my 2008 pioneer dbl din dvd radio. Why is it so slow? Why is it that fca has this so locked down that the system is inconvenient? Anyone else feel like this was poor planning or engineering on FCA’s part?

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t know what Uconnect system you’re using, but I have the 12” with Nav and I can dial the phone on screen.

As far as VR there is an option in the setup to have it learn your voice which does help quite a bit, but I agree that feature is definitely lacking.

Don’t use CarPlay, don’t know anything about it.

As far as the Nav input being slow I don’t have that issue. I haven’t had any other issues with my Nav either, but I know other people have complained about various things not working properly. I believe there is a TSB you may want to ask your dealer about

Newtododge

Reaction score
Don’t know what Uconnect system you’re using, but I have the 12” with Nav and I can dial the phone on screen.

As far as VR there is an option in the setup to have it learn your voice which does help quite a bit, but I agree that feature is definitely lacking.

Don’t use CarPlay, don’t know anything about it.

As far as the Nav input being slow I don’t have that issue. I haven’t had any other issues with my Nav either, but I know other people have complained about various things not working properly. I believe there is a TSB you may want to ask your dealer about
I have the 12u as well. I can use the dial function until about 7 mph then it is locked. The nav input it painfully slow especially compared to apple maps, google maps, or waze!!! Pretty crappy attempt at an info system compared to other vehicles that are older. Just think they could have done a lot better with the options and functions offered on the 12u especially for the price tag.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think automakers have seen the light when it comes to Nav and Communication. They’re good at making vehicles, Apple and Android are good at making the aforementioned. True, they do include a basic system but that is just for old time marketing sake to keep up with the other automakers.....who make an equally lousy system. ;)

I’d highly suggest adopting the system your phone provides, hands down it is a much better on the road experience.

Newtododge

Reaction score
I think automakers have seen the light when it comes to Nav and Communication. They’re good at making vehicles, Apple and Android are good at making the aforementioned. True, they do include a basic system but that is just for old time marketing sake to keep up with the other automakers.....who make an equally lousy system. ;)

I’d highly suggest adopting the system your phone provides, hands down it is a much better on the road experience.
Yeah but why market the info system soooo much if it’s gonna be basic. The fact that it clearly can handle what the demand is but it’s locked down tells me they rushed it and couldn’t deliver much like apple and their new phone. Came out a month ago and still haven’t released features they advertised. FCA fell short with electronics on the truck in many areas that we have all noticed. Wether it be speaker volume, rear collision braking, lane sense not keeping people in their lanes , or the 12u screen freezing or having locked functionality. Just wish it lived up to more. I love the truck. Love so many features just wish all worked as advertised or better than that actually do

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah but why market the info system soooo much if it’s gonna be basic. The fact that it clearly can handle what the demand is but it’s locked down tells me they rushed it and couldn’t deliver much like apple and their new phone. Came out a month ago and still haven’t released features they advertised. FCA fell short with electronics on the truck in many areas that we have all noticed. Wether it be speaker volume, rear collision braking, lane sense not keeping people in their lanes , or the 12u screen freezing or having locked functionality. Just wish it lived up to more. I love the truck. Love so many features just wish all worked as advertised or better than that actually do

I hear you for sure. It’s frustrating and all of the automakers do it trying to keep up with each other. They all claim to have the latest and greatest, they just can’t claim it will work. Call me old but I would never buy a vehicle with auto braking or autonomous driving. I just can’t put my life in their hands when they’re just concerned about marketing and sales.

Adrianp89

Reaction score
Have you tried having Siri dial your calls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly what I was going to say. OP needs to turn on "Hey Siri" feature and just roll with that. No buttons or anything and works extremely well.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm generally satisfied with the operation of my 8.4 no Navy UConnect. The things that FCA needs to work on is a drive line/transmission that doesn't bump and clunk and a throttle response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online