5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thieves are stealing rams in seconds

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I take issue with your statement. You’re making it sound like this is a game of odds, and it’s not. Just because the general theft rate nationwide is 0.3% per year doesn’t mean that any of us are not at risk of theft. Ok, if you drive a Bighorn, maybe you’re safe. But I drive a TRX, and I make it a base assumption that my truck is a target. So I protect it accordingly.
And if you’re wondering how easy it is to steal a Ram - check Jimmy07’s post from earlier today. He just laid it out there for the whole world. You can steal any Ram truck with a laptop, a blank fob, and the mod-friendly Jscan software. Unless that truck has protection measures in place.
After installing IGLA, I don’t worry a bit about it being stolen. Broken into (attempted theft), maybe.
IMO, still a major PITA to get broken glass cleaned up and replaced, along with anything else they damage.

I don't recall seeing Raptor owners discussing this back when I had a F-150, so I'm assuming it's unique to Ram?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I take issue with your statement. You’re making it sound like this is a game of odds, and it’s not. Just because the general theft rate nationwide is 0.3% per year doesn’t mean that any of us are not at risk of theft. Ok, if you drive a Bighorn, maybe you’re safe. But I drive a TRX, and I make it a base assumption that my truck is a target. So I protect it accordingly.
And if you’re wondering how easy it is to steal a Ram - check Jimmy07’s post from earlier today. He just laid it out there for the whole world. You can steal any Ram truck with a laptop, a blank fob, and the mod-friendly Jscan software. Unless that truck has protection measures in place.

My statements were fact and it is a game of odds. As I indicated in my 2nd paragraph, an individual person's odds may vary somewhat depending on the particulars that they often control.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, still a major PITA to get broken glass cleaned up and replaced, along with anything else they damage.

I don't recall seeing Raptor owners discussing this back when I had a F-150, so I'm assuming it's unique to Ram?
It's not really the truck they are stealing but the Hellcat engine and TRX specific parts. Nobody wanted abused Ecoboost

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I meant the Jscan option is just a recent thing that became available.

GMetal

Reaction score
The guy entered the truck through the rear slider. If you move the OBD plug and the security bypass plugs Im sure that may slow them down. Im curious about those with the IGLA alarm. Do they install it well under the dash? I ran a stereo shop 25 years ago and a huge part of our business was reinstalling alarms. The "dealer" installs were all done with scotchloks and the stereo shops were a mix of scotchloks and wire end crimps. Many didnt even bother shortening the leads off the unit. Most units were zipped tied to the main harness and easily attacked under the dash. We would move the unit to a difficult area and zip tie everything out of the way. Zip ties or later heat shrink was used over the 2 fuses on the alarm. Clifford before they sold to DEi had some wild setups requiring a huge integration into the factory harness. Also every alarm by DEI has 2 fuses at the power and ignition plugs. Simply remove the fuses and the alarm isnt doing anything.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The guy entered the truck through the rear slider. If you move the OBD plug and the security bypass plugs Im sure that may slow them down. Im curious about those with the IGLA alarm. Do they install it well under the dash? I ran a stereo shop 25 years ago and a huge part of our business was reinstalling alarms. The "dealer" installs were all done with scotchloks and the stereo shops were a mix of scotchloks and wire end crimps. Many didnt even bother shortening the leads off the unit. Most units were zipped tied to the main harness and easily attacked under the dash. We would move the unit to a difficult area and zip tie everything out of the way. Zip ties or later heat shrink was used over the 2 fuses on the alarm. Clifford before they sold to DEi had some wild setups requiring a huge integration into the factory harness. Also every alarm by DEI has 2 fuses at the power and ignition plugs. Simply remove the fuses and the alarm isnt doing anything.
IGLA doesn’t require a specific location for install - anywhere along the CAN works. That’s the beauty of it - it’s undetectable electronically, and it’s a needle in the haystack physically. It doesn’t even require a circuit to be cut…it just attaches on piggy-back.
Igla means “needle” in Russian, fwiw.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IGLA doesn’t require a specific location for install - anywhere along the CAN works. That’s the beauty of it - it’s undetectable electronically, and it’s a needle in the haystack physically. It doesn’t even require a circuit to be cut…it just attaches on piggy-back.
Igla means “needle” in Russian, fwiw.
Igla is technically a croation word.

Users who are viewing this thread