5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Supercharged HEMI Era Might Be Coming To An End, But Not Performance Says Dodge//SRT:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The Supercharged HEMI Era Might Be Coming To An End, But Not Performance Says Dodge//SRT:​

New Electrification Ways Could Push Performance Ahead...​

2021-Dodge-Durango-SRT-Hellcat-on-the-Hennessey-AWD-Dynojet.-Hennessey-1.jpg
1622239724654.png

The Dodge//SRT brand is known as the American performance brand thanks to its value-based high-performance V8 muscle cars and SUVs. Vehicles like the 797 horsepower Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody, 717 horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, and the 470 horsepower Dodge Durango SRT392, have become staples to draw people to the brand. But with the age of electrification upon us, the HEMI V8 muscle car and SUV era might be coming to an end.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I guess it's inevitable, but things will never be the same. This will be the second time during my lifetime (barely) that we've had to part ways with real muscle cars. I'm sure EV's will be cool in many ways, but they will never create the same emotional response as high performance engines. For one thing, they will all sound, behave, and "run" the same. Oh well . . . as long as Al Gore is happy.

Last edited:

Nukegm426

Reaction score
No thanks... it’s funny people are making the big push for electric “because it’s cleaner” then ignore that the power comes from big plants. The country already has issues with power shortages during winter and summer months and it’s getting worse. They don’t approve new power plants so every electric car means more blackouts.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No thanks... it’s funny people are making the big push for electric “because it’s cleaner” then ignore that the power comes from big plants. The country already has issues with power shortages during winter and summer months and it’s getting worse. They don’t approve new power plants so every electric car means more blackouts.
I can’t speak for the masses, but I can see where it may be more realistic to improve sustainable production of electricity at the source than to maintain and/or retrofit hundreds of millions of vehicles for cleaner emissions.

I think the thing that the “but power plants are dirty” crowd (who aren’t wrong) forgets is that this is a 20+ year shift. Those hundreds of millions of existing vehicles (and thousands more every day) are going to be in circulation for a long time. This means this “giant spike in demand” of EVs is also years away and will gradually phase in as EVs gain popularity. This also means power generation has time to improve (along with battery tech).

New power plants do come online regularly. Most new power generation facilities being constructed are wind or solar. Texas does have multiple $8B gas-fired plant proposals on the table, but the state also has the largest green energy capacity in the country.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Problem being most of these proposed plants are locked in eternal regulations purgatory. As for the spike in usage? I live in texas, during the heat they start rolling blackouts... and this winter we were down for days. And that’s without people trying to charge their cars. How’s it going to work when the grid is down and people can’t charge their car to go to work?

Bigtone

Reaction score
I’m a retired Nuke plant employee also, and I’ve been telling people the same thing for years.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Agree 110%

Users who are viewing this thread