5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The road so far 2,500 miles

RT70808

Reaction score
Truck details in my signature.

So I’ve had my new Ram (1st truck) for a few months, it was the dealer show truck sitting under the covered walkway by the front door. It was there for at least a month, I had been eyeballing it and checking the dealer site while I waited to get my wrecked Grand Cherokee (2015 eco diesel overland) back from the body shop. It was the only one anywhere around with Limited, 4x4 and off-road Group. It was still there so I traded in the GC. I bought it without a test drive because I was going to get it regardless. 80 miles on the odometer, 9k off the sticker and -3,000 on my trade. My 3yr old GC, 3 accidents, 2 car fax reports and 75k miles on it. I knew it was going to be bad. We finished the paperwork transferred my belongings and my salesman and I ( same salesman I bought the GC from ) closed up the dealership.

On my drive home in my shiny new truck the service power steering light flicked on and I lost power, then it kicked back off and powered back on. I was pissed. Went to the dealer in the am and they put me in a rental, I ranted. They told me it was a bad sensor, being in the tech field I get it. Told them it was unaccetable so they stole an entire sterering rack from another truck and fixed mine the same day. I told my salesman they needed to make it right. Ended up with the lifetime warranty $100 deductible for $0.00.

I haven’t been back to the dealer since. My ac isn’t up par as the drivers side is 8 degrees warmer, probably a blend door issue. I posted in the ac performance thread a few times and did some online research, I found a PowerPoint by the FCA engineer who gives a/c training and contacted him. He replied to my email a few days later with the ac spec chart I posted and mentioned the blend door may need calibration. I’ll take it in eventually, maybe for it’s first oil change.

No clunk
No squealing brakes
No leaks

My MPG is horrible. I knew I didn’t buy a gas sipper. I’ve determined it’s just city traffic. I’m averaging 12.5 daily. I’ve had 1 trip with my bass boat down 55/60 two lane roads and averaged 16. I’ve had a few back to back work road trips and averaged 16.5. I do have a heavy foot.

Now take what you want from this post.

If I could do it over would I? Yes, it’s a great truck. I enjoy driving it everyday.
If I could have waited what would I buy? A 2020 Rebel EcoDiesel with the 12” and power running boards, no air suspension so I could lift it.

Well there you go, the road so far unbiased.

Last edited:

mikemcfarland

Reaction score

So I’ve had my new Ram (1st truck) for a few months, it was the dealer show truck sitting under the covered walkway by the front door. It was there for at least a month, I had been eyeballing it and checking the dealer site while I waited to get my wrecked Grand Cherokee (2015 eco diesel overland) back from the body shop. It was the only one anywhere around with Limited, 4x4 and off-road Group. It was still there so I traded in the GC. I bought it without a test drive because I was going to get it regardless. 80 miles on the odometer, 9k off the sticker and -3,000 on my trade. My 3yr old GC, 3 accidents, 2 car fax reports and 75k miles on it. I knew it was going to be bad. We finished the paperwork transferred my belongings and my salesman and I ( same salesman I bought the GC from ) closed up the dealership.

On my drive home in my shiny new truck the service power steering light flicked on and I lost power, then it kicked back off and powered back on. I was pissed. Went to the dealer in the am and they put me in a rental, I ranted. They told me it was a bad sensor, being in the tech field I get it. Told them it was unaccetable so they stole an entire sterering rack from another truck and fixed mine the same day. I told my salesman they needed to make it right. Ended up with the lifetime warranty $100 deductible for $0.00.

I haven’t been back to the dealer since. My ac isn’t up par as the drivers side is 8 degrees warmer, probably a blend door issue. I posted in the ac performance thread a few times and did some online research, I found a PowerPoint by the FCA engineer who gives a/c training and contacted him. He replied to my email a few days later with the ac spec chart I posted and mentioned the blend door may need calibration. I’ll take it in eventually, maybe for it’s first oil change.

No clunk
No squealing brakes
No leaks

My MPG is horrible. I knew I didn’t buy a gas sipper. I’ve determined it’s just city traffic. I’m averaging 12.5 daily. I’ve had 1 trip with my bass boat down 55/60 two lane roads and averaged 16. I’ve had a few back to back work road trips and averaged 16.5. I do have a heavy foot.

If I could do it over would I? Yes, it’s a great truck. I enjoy driving it everyday.
If I could have waited what would I buy? A 2020 Rebel EcoDiesel with the 12” and power running boards, no air suspension so I could lift it.

in a world of negativity--- nice to hear something positive. greatly appreciated.

Bwarren2

Reaction score

No clunk
No squealing brakes
No leaks

I am shocked you GC eco diesel didn't blow up. I wanted a 2018 eco D Ram and after doing a little reserach its obvious the ED is the worst engine ever made by FCA. Seems there is a 100% failure rate, Ram Salesman quickly warned me to stay away (which tipped me off to do my research).

RT70808

Reaction score
I am shocked you GC eco diesel didn't blow up. I wanted a 2018 eco D Ram and after doing a little reserach its obvious the ED is the worst engine ever made by FCA. Seems there is a 100% failure rate, Ram Salesman quickly warned me to stay away (which tipped me off to do my research).
It saw the dealer once after I took delivery for a led section of the led running lights that shifted purple and that’s it. I did the oil and filter changes myself. I changed the stock touring tires for KO2’s. If people would have stopped hitting it or pulling out in front of me I’d still be driving it.

Bwarren2

Reaction score
It saw the dealer once after I took delivery for a led section of the led running lights that shifted purple and that’s it. I did the oil and filter changes myself. I changed the stock touring tires for KO2’s. If people would have stopped hitting it or pulling out in front of me I’d still be driving it.

there is a class action lawsuit against FCA over the eco diesel

Users who are viewing this thread