5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The problem with E-torque and Stop/Start.

foolsh1

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the E-torque, I think it is one of the better Stop/starts, so much smoother than the stater motor kind! No, the problem is the doofus 2 cars in front of you stopping about 30 feet from the guy in front of them, so he can text! so now you have sopped and you motor isn't running, but the Nimrod moves about 15 more feet so now you either have to put more wear and tear on the system and move 15 feet up, or the guy in the next lane say hey there is a open spot?
boxing.gif
So you move the 15 and your motor is stopped again, and then the butt nugget finishes his text and moves the last 15 feet? So now you have done the start/stop 3 times, which should have only been once!
doh2.gif

Okay I am done ranting! I like the E-torque!
Can not say the same for the Texter!
biggun.gif

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would think that RAM would have something to override the stopping in the continuous stop and go traffic. My wife's Malibu has the stop/start feature; it can be overridden by moving the shifter (I guess knob in the case of RAM) from D to L.

sass

Reaction score
I would think that RAM would have something to override the stopping in the continuous stop and go traffic. My wife's Malibu has the stop/start feature; it can be overridden by moving the shifter (I guess knob in the case of RAM) from D to L.

There’s a button under the knob shifter that allows you to turn start/stop off if needed. But how op is saying that he hates that he has to creep up when you have your vehicle in the stop mode behind stupid drivers.

foolsh1

Reaction score
They do have a button to turn it off, and the E-torque works great so far, no problems. My complaint was the constant creeping forward by the drivers in front of me, they are not paying attention to their driving. I guess at the time I am behind someone like that, I could turn the Start/stop off, but that is defeating the purpose of having it?

foolsh1

Reaction score
There’s a button under the knob shifter that allows you to turn start/stop off if needed. But how op is saying that he hates that he has to creep up when you have your vehicle in the stop mode behind stupid drivers.

Agreed! The Idea is to save gas not shorten the life of the E-torque, so someone can do his/her texting!

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the E-torque, I think it is one of the better Stop/starts, so much smoother than the stater motor kind! No, the problem is the doofus 2 cars in front of you stopping about 30 feet from the guy in front of them, so he can text! so now you have sopped and you motor isn't running, but the Nimrod moves about 15 more feet so now you either have to put more wear and tear on the system and move 15 feet up, or the guy in the next lane say hey there is a open spot?
boxing.gif
So you move the 15 and your motor is stopped again, and then the butt nugget finishes his text and moves the last 15 feet? So now you have done the start/stop 3 times, which should have only been once!
doh2.gif

biggun.gif
boxing.gif
doh2.gif

biggun.gif
I think you'd change your mind about etorque if your 2 month old truck with 3000 miles on it ended up at the dealer for a month waiting to be repaired because FCA doesn't know how to build a functional hybrid. A battery and charging system shouldn't have issues so soon and if they do the manufacturer should know how to fix them. My rant for the day.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
I was in heavy stop and go the other day, I gathered the system was good for 8 Start and Stops before the Engine Ran for around 5 minutes then Start and Stop came back.

cruz-in

Reaction score
I think you'd change your mind about etorque if your 2 month old truck with 3000 miles on it ended up at the dealer for a month waiting to be repaired because FCA doesn't know how to build a functional hybrid. A battery and charging system shouldn't have issues so soon and if they do the manufacturer should know how to fix them. My rant for the day.

My etorque has been good so far. I think it is a very clever simple system. Hoping it is reliable.

19Jake

Reaction score
etorque...'19 RAM worst option contender

foolsh1

Reaction score
Hope they figure it out soon for you!

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My etorque has been good so far. I think it is a very clever simple system. Hoping it is reliable.
I hope yours stays good and you dont have any issues.. Mine was fine until a month ago.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have any issue with eTorque starting and stopping that frequently - it's designed that way. The MGU is effectively an alternator in how it's built and the belt is rated for 100K miles so I let it do it's thing.

Very similar situation when you are going through a drive through. Lots of stop/start and I love every minute of it. Have gotten some weird looks from Chik Fil A employees but coming from a diesel where I had to shut it off occasionally just so they could hear me, eTorque is awesome.

CarRamRod

Reaction score
I know exactly what you're talking about. I just don't move until the traffic is really moving. There might be 50 ft between me and the next car and I'm sure I look like the habitual texting offender, but I don't care.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess you'll need to put me in the category of not caring if the engine is running or not. I'm not that fixated on hyper-miling my truck. It has the best start/stop implementation in the biz, but if conditions cause it to be running in working with the traffic flow (or lack thereof), I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Drewsky510

Reaction score
boxing.gif
doh2.gif

biggun.gif

HA! This is so incredibly accurate and it drives me crazy about the other drivers. I've just become that "annoying" person that refuses to move up to fill the gap so avoid cycling the start/stop too much!

Users who are viewing this thread