5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The hotspot service is a lot more attractive now

RJS

Reaction score
Other than running my laptop, what do you folks do with this service?

JRD

Reaction score
Other than running my laptop, what do you folks do with this service?
Maybe for small children? Having trouble finding use for this as well. I can’t think of anything I’d need to do that my phone couldn’t.

Neokane

Reaction score
Too bad you cant switch sims. Can get a connected device on verizon for $5 a month.

CodeTHR33

Reaction score
I added it about 2 weeks ago at that price. It’s great for the kids. I named the truck WiFi connection & password the same as at the house so everyone’s devices “just work”. But what I’ve really found to be great is that I would usually lose service at a couple specific places on the way to work and back. Not with the hotspot service. The external truck antenna(s) must get better cellular reception than my phone inside the truck because I haven’t lost service once since having it. I have WiFi calling enabled on my phone so everything works nicely. It also enables everyone in the truck to download things that require a WiFi connection.

If you have a lot of dropped calls, you should try it for that. Obviously that will depend on the coverage in your area, but for me it patched all the dead spots.

Zeeya

Reaction score
I signed up today for it. Out in W Texas in some of the remote spots I could get the truck wifi to pick up signal and use the hot spot and as mentioned above, my phone is enabled for wi-fi calls and it worked. It is a month to month basis which helped sell me on it. I would not have signed up for a year, going to try it out some more and if it gets to where I'm not using it I will drop it..

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I added it about 2 weeks ago at that price. It’s great for the kids. I named the truck WiFi connection & password the same as at the house so everyone’s devices “just work”. But what I’ve really found to be great is that I would usually lose service at a couple specific places on the way to work and back. Not with the hotspot service. The external truck antenna(s) must get better cellular reception than my phone inside the truck because I haven’t lost service once since having it. I have WiFi calling enabled on my phone so everything works nicely. It also enables everyone in the truck to download things that require a WiFi connection.

If you have a lot of dropped calls, you should try it for that. Obviously that will depend on the coverage in your area, but for me it patched all the dead spots.

Yep, antennas don't perform so well inside of metal (your cab) so an external antenna will almost always outperform.
Another similar nugget I learned years ago working with a cellular engineer was that phone models can vary wildly in their antenna signal to noise ratio performance. He was testing two models of Motorola phones and while they looked almost identical, he stated that one had their second highest signal strength ever tested and the other just barely passed the carrier's tests. As a consumer, we're not provided that information. We just complain when calls drop but it's not just the cell tower strength at play. Your phone could just not perform that well.

Damion

Reaction score
I wonder if this is available for those of us north of the border? we usually get screwed up here on a lot of deals like this

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I might have to sign up.... I have a wifi enable dash cam that usually only uploads to the cloud when at my house or work. This way it would be uploading all the time and I could use the 'live feature' anywhere anytime. Nice.

Zinger

Reaction score
I might have to sign up.... I have a wifi enable dash cam that usually only uploads to the cloud when at my house or work. This way it would be uploading all the time and I could use the 'live feature' anywhere anytime. Nice.

I believe the ACC (minimally) must be on for the wifi to work.

RJS

Reaction score
Silly question, where does the SIM go.

CodeTHR33

Reaction score
Silly question, where does the SIM go.
While there may be a SIM somewhere, it isn’t user accessible. The service is activated by VIN when you sign up. They don’t send you a SIM. You just sign up with your VIN and it starts working.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I believe the ACC (minimally) must be on for the wifi to work.
Ahhh. Good point. I guess at least it'll save it to the cloud while driving instead waiting to upload at home or work. Also, if someone steals it I can track them through the camera.... it'll be a live feed of sorts.

Users who are viewing this thread