5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded rear window leak :(

Johny777

Reaction score
Hey friends, I just discovered I have the dreaded rear window leak. Going to speak to the dealership on Monday. I did find a little crack on the top near the middle of the window.
Just looking for advice on how to move forward with this? It's a 22 ram, with 80,000 km. I do have the extended warranty up to 100k.
Hoping some fellow Canadian's can share their experience with this, as far as I know this isn't covered under warranty. Not looking forward to speaking ~$1500 for a new window..

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hey friends, I just discovered I have the dreaded rear window leak. Going to speak to the dealership on Monday. I did find a little crack on the top near the middle of the window.
Just looking for advice on how to move forward with this? It's a 22 ram, with 80,000 km. I do have the extended warranty up to 100k.
Hoping some fellow Canadian's can share their experience with this, as far as I know this isn't covered under warranty. Not looking forward to speaking ~$1500 for a new window..
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately you're looking at more like $1800 USD, which is close to $2500 CAD. At least that's approximately what others here who were outside the factory warranty have paid. There also the chance that the replacement window can have the same issue. You might try doing the permatex fix, or have a glass shop install a solid rear window if you can do without the slider. We're on our second rear window in our 2020 Limited. If it fails we'll probably go with the solid rear window if we still have the truck.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hasn't RAM extended the warranty on our trucks because of this issue? I thought they did and others were getting it addressed under some warranty coverage after basic warranty expired.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hasn't RAM extended the warranty on our trucks because of this issue? I thought they did and others were getting it addressed under some warranty coverage after basic warranty expired.
They did for some 2019 thru 2021 models, but the OP's truck is a 2022. It's definitely not covered under that TSB. Back Glass Water Leak Warranty Extension XL1. Unfortunately lots of us are finding that our VIN's are not included in this either...

Attachments

• backlite.pdf
    307.4 KB · Views: 18

brutusbone

Reaction score
I just found out I had it because 2 electronics modules were ruined by the water and the truck won't start. Mine is a 2021 Laramie.
I have an extended warranty but the service manager at the dealer said that it does not cover water damage. So....the design of the window is at fault and caused the modules to go out but they won't pay for either the window or modules? I call bull$*%&^

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just found out I had it because 2 electronics modules were ruined by the water and the truck won't start. Mine is a 2021 Laramie.
I have an extended warranty but the service manager at the dealer said that it does not cover water damage. So....the design of the window is at fault and caused the modules to go out but they won't pay for either the window or modules? I call bull$*%&^

That is absolutely BS, typically warranty issue that causes other damage is covered, such as the headliner getting stained by a water leak. I would escalate of course or consider another dealership.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is absolutely BS, typically warranty issue that causes other damage is covered, such as the headliner getting stained by a water leak. I would escalate of course or consider another dealership.
What you're describing is what the factory warranty covers. @brutusbone is talking about his extended warranty. As you know the two are in no way the same thing, regardless of what a car sales rep tells you when they're trying to wrench as much money as possible from you. Their claims of "it's just like your original B to B warranty" are false. Everything that is covered in an extended warranty is spelled out in the paperwork. It's easy enough to determine what is and isn't covered for yourself.

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
I'm sorry but that dealer is full of :poop: just lazy and don't want to do the repair is all. these are exactly what warranty is for.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
What you're describing is what the factory warranty covers. @brutusbone is talking about his extended warranty. As you know the two are in no way the same thing, regardless of what a car sales rep tells you when they're trying to wrench as much money as possible from you. Their claims of "it's just like your original B to B warranty" are false. Everything that is covered in an extended warranty is spelled out in the paperwork. It's easy enough to determine what is and isn't covered for yourself.

Good point, though I thought this warranty is the extended TSB warranty by Mopar over rear window Crack for 2019-2021 model years.

Curious what that actually covers.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I have this on my 22 as well its the last RAM I will ever purchase issues with infotainment and window they wont stand behind.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Good point, though I thought this warranty is the extended TSB warranty by Mopar over rear window Crack for 2019-2021 model years.

Curious what that actually covers.
He said extended warranty versus warranty extension. I guess he could have meant either one. The warranty extension is supposed to cover affected trucks for 2019 thru 2021, but lots of us are finding that our trucks aren't included in that TSB when the VIN is run. Our 2020 Limited falls right in the middle of that range but it's not included in the warranty extension. No explanation as to why either. The secrecy is just salt in the wound caused by the lack of customer service Stellantis provides.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
He said extended warranty versus warranty extension. I guess he could have meant either one. The warranty extension is supposed to cover affected trucks for 2019 thru 2021, but lots of us are finding that our trucks aren't included in that TSB when the VIN is run. Our 2020 Limited falls right in the middle of that range but it's not included in the warranty extension. No explanation as to why either. The secrecy is just salt in the wound caused by the lack of customer service Stellantis provides.

Gotcha, makes sense. My 2019 doesn't have the issue, but it's also a lower mileage truck, so likely a matter of time when I'll be posting something here.

irishwake63

Reaction score
is anyone replacing rear slider with a plain one piece rear window? I believe its only affecting rear power windows correct?

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
I’ve been following several rear window leak threads and I figured my 2022 would have this window leak problem at some point towing 7k# enclosed car hauler 60% of the time. Yep, last week with 33k miles and 30 months old a small leak started that runs down the window on the passenger side tight up against the pillar. Noticed it right away and used a towel to keep it contained. I have the Maximum Care 7yr/100k warranty as well.

I’m not having my vehicle tied up to have this window replaced only to find out it leaks again like some others have had after replacement. It’s an inferior design / manufacture and installation. I get it and here’s what I did.

Went to Autozone and purchased 3 tubes ($25) of Permatex 81730 Windshield & Glass Sealant 1.5oz. It dries clear. Taped off the window with Frogtape that is superior to that blue painters tape. I left the CHMSL in place and taped it off. Started on passenger side, used the majority of one tube filling until level up to the sliding window. It flows nicely. Wiped it smooth and then immediately removed the tape before doing the drivers side. Did same and finished with the center window last. I used every last bit of sealant and could have used slightly more. I cleaned anything that got on the window front or paint with lighter fluid.

It looks perfect, and standing on the ground you can’t see it. Haven’t had it in the rain yet, but I’m assuming it’s fixed. For me traveling/ towing the upper Midwest roads that are some of the worst this is a better choice for permanent repair that only took 2 hrs.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/attachments/20240512_131337-jpg.183081/

Users who are viewing this thread