5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Dreaded Fender Gap

DirtyDenim

Reaction score
Hi, got my Ram about a week ago and like everything about it except this one issue. I am a stickler for body lines and fit and finish and have already adjusted two door strikers to get panels to line up. Shame on me for not seeing this issue before signing on the dotted line.

Anyway, I've noticed that the fender "ears" on my truck and many others on the road (at the dealership, etc.) are slightly curved up and out, resulting in two things:
1. A larger than spec gap between the fender and the top of the trim/headlight. Spec is 4.3mm at max, mine is closer to 8mm (!)
2. A normally adjusted hood, with gap in spec (hood to trim/grille should be 6.3mm) sits down lower than the fenders and is not flush.

Quite a few examples I have seen are fine, though, but the majority I've seen are this way. There is no weather stripping under the fender and the chrome trim really exacerbates the gap, since it reflects black (those with body color trim/grille look better to me).

Sample photos attached. I'm wondering if this is something a good body shop can correct? I assume this involves some "art" and bending, rather than moving bolts etc...

Apologize in advance if this causes you to notice a flaw for the first time...

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 5.30.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 5.30.53 PM.png
    442.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 5.32.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 5.32.53 PM.png
    592.7 KB · Views: 170

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi, got my Ram about a week ago and like everything about it except this one issue. I am a stickler for body lines and fit and finish and have already adjusted two door strikers to get panels to line up. Shame on me for not seeing this issue before signing on the dotted line.

Anyway, I've noticed that the fender "ears" on my truck and many others on the road (at the dealership, etc.) are slightly curved up and out, resulting in two things:
1. A larger than spec gap between the fender and the top of the trim/headlight. Spec is 4.3mm at max, mine is closer to 8mm (!)
2. A normally adjusted hood, with gap in spec (hood to trim/grille should be 6.3mm) sits down lower than the fenders and is not flush.

Quite a few examples I have seen are fine, though, but the majority I've seen are this way. There is no weather stripping under the fender and the chrome trim really exacerbates the gap, since it reflects black (those with body color trim/grille look better to me).

Sample photos attached. I'm wondering if this is something a good body shop can correct? I assume this involves some "art" and bending, rather than moving bolts etc...

Apologize in advance if this causes you to notice a flaw for the first time...
Which picture has the correct gap? Any? If not please post one showing correct gap because inspite of your detailed explanation I am still lost. And is there a question here or are you just trying to get more of us to join your anguish?

DirtyDenim

Reaction score
Here's a press photo with what looks like the correct or expected gap.

The question is, is this correctable, by adjustment of any kind?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 5.49.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 5.49.09 PM.png
    657.5 KB · Views: 100

ponypride

Reaction score
If this is consistent on the sides, I would not worry about it. This seems like a minor issue compared with what others are saying with their vehicles

Rockyroad217

Reaction score
You'd hate my truck lol i have quite a few paint flaws, bumper is lower on passenger side, rear drivers side door sticks out more than the others, but I'm just thankful i haven't seen any of the mechanical issues. Like you, i didn't see any of this stuff until i was up close and personal when i was washing it

Users who are viewing this thread