5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dreaded drone sound

Bowtechbob

Reaction score
I apologize in advance because I know this has been talked about before. I've been through the other posts on this same issue, but I'd like to bring it back up to explain some things I have noticed that seem to specifically cause it. It seems as though other posts were combining other types of "roaring" etc which I'm not experiencing.

The issue- intermittent drone, humming, low frequency vibration/sound that slowly increases in volume (not pitch) but then suddenly goes away.

When it seems to occur
-generally when coasting or decelerating in the 1300-1500 rpm range
-Both with MDS active and not active
-2wd
-turning on the radio or opening windows doesn't seem to help (ie I don't think it's the ANC)
-Seem worse when cold out
-and the real weird thing is that it seems to only happen when I have stuff in the floor board of the back seat area

Doesn't seem to be a drivetrain or powertrain issue. The humming never changes pitch however the intensity (volume) increases then the sound goes away very quickly.

Let me know if there have been any major discoveries on this. I did have the dealer take a ride with me but of course I couldn't recreate it at that time.

2019 Ram Bighorn Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi (not sure on build date purchased April 2019)

Thanks

Otto

Reaction score
Same issue with my '19. I ordered the PAC ANC bypass and will be installing this weekend. Today when I started the truck it happened immediately when I put it in gear and was almost like a full signal sweep from 80hz to 20hz. Really annoying for a vehicle that costs this much to have such random noise problems.

Will report back if it fixes it.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Otto

Reaction score
Install the harness today and took a drive down the highway to the next town over. So far the drone / hum has gone away.

wvoice

Reaction score
Is there anyone that tried the bypass harness and had it work? Mine only hums under load, sometimes at startup and at all speeds below 80. I bought the truck with wide 22" rims and all terrain tires. Aggressive and heavy. I wonder if it is the extra noise from the wheels that the ANC is trying to cancel, causing the hum? Anyone have an update on the bypass harness?

wvoice

Reaction score
Same issue with my '19. I ordered the PAC ANC bypass and will be installing this weekend. Today when I started the truck it happened immediately when I put it in gear and was almost like a full signal sweep from 80hz to 20hz. Really annoying for a vehicle that costs this much to have such random noise problems.

Will report back if it fixes it.

Did the bypass work? I just bought a 2019 and having an issue with that horrible noise.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Did the bypass work? I just bought a 2019 and having an issue with that horrible noise.
You know, as you reply to a post that is just under 2 1/2 years old, you can tap the members avatar and it will say when he was last on the forum. Hint, that was 6 months ago.

wvoice

Reaction score
You know, as you reply to a post that is just under 2 1/2 years old, you can tap the members avatar and it will say when he was last on the forum. Hint, that was 6 months ago.
I saw that. I didn't know if they would get a notification of my response and be able to give me an answer.

Users who are viewing this thread