5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BEST Dash Cameras for Our Trucks

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a decent amount of research I decided to go with the Rexing V1P Pro + HD dual channel front and rear dash cam and I am more than happy with my decision. What I like most about the Rexing is its simplicity and "set it and forget it" user friendly operation. video resolution is 1080P when recording both front and rear and is crystal clear. I did not want a 4K resolution camera as i find it unnecessary and the file size to record 4K is a storage drawback when utilizing loop recording. The only thing I can say I don't like about the Rexing and from what i have read is a common problemwith numerous dash cams is at night my headlights reflect off the license plate in front of me rendering readability of playback useless. To counter this I record audio and verbally speak out the license plate any vehicles in the evening if I need to.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a decent amount of research I decided to go with the Rexing V1P Pro + HD dual channel front and rear dash cam and I am more than happy with my decision. What I like most about the Rexing is its simplicity and "set it and forget it" user friendly operation. video resolution is 1080P when recording both front and rear and is crystal clear. I did not want a 4K resolution camera as i find it unnecessary and the file size to record 4K is a storage drawback when utilizing loop recording. The only thing I can say I don't like about the Rexing and from what i have read is a common problemwith numerous dash cams is at night my headlights reflect off the license plate in front of me rendering readability of playback useless. To counter this I record audio and verbally speak out the license plate any vehicles in the evening if I need to.
That's a solid choice. Rexing was in my top three as I narrowed it down. My final three were Street Guardian, Rexing, and Viofo. In the end I got the VIOFO A129 Duo because I got a good deal on it....Rexing was close and Street Guardian was a little too expensive.

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
i install thinkware 1000 , the only problem in a hot day sticker which holds camera on windshield , melted and fells off . It sucks

Gozar

Reaction score
Probably not THE best but I have been perfectly happy with my 70mai 1s, so I joined the Indiegogo for the new A800.
4k, ADAS, parking, GPS + rear camera for just over $100.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i install thinkware 1000 , the only problem in a hot day sticker which holds camera on windshield , melted and fells off . It sucks

What is a hot day for you? My Q800s don't melt off at all after sitting in the sun, 90+ F, for 8+ hours. I do have a sun visor, but it wraps around the camera, so the camera and tape that hold it are exposed to straight sun still. Maybe you got defective tape, or do you retape it every time?

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
What capacity SD card you using and how much footage you get out of it in this application?
frankly....you get unlimited footages because it loops over once it's out of hd space. But I did put in a 256GB card... it has been 2 months and the card still has plenty of space left.... I have it set on sensor parking mode (it will record when someone near the truck, which is very often), and of course when I'm driving....it's my daily driver and I do work 5 days a week and go out on weekends. I heard every 2 or 3 months or so...the dash cam will beep the heck out of it...and that is because it wants to reformat the card...weird... but I have not experienced that yet...maybe that guy had a bad card. BTW, I set it to record 5 minutes of footages at a time..after that It will start a new file. And also I get 2 files of each 5 minutes, front file and rear file.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
frankly....you get unlimited footages because it loops over once it's out of hd space. But I did put in a 256GB card... it has been 2 months and the card still has plenty of space left.... I have it set on sensor parking mode (it will record when someone near the truck, which is very often), and of course when I'm driving....it's my daily driver and I do work 5 days a week and go out on weekends. I heard every 2 or 3 months or so...the dash cam will beep the heck out of it...and that is because it wants to reformat the card...weird... but I have not experienced that yet...maybe that guy had a bad card. BTW, I set it to record 5 minutes of footages at a time..after that It will start a new file.
So mine has a loop recording too with 128GB of storage, I get 17 hours with my card and then it records over it. That's what i meant, by asking how much footage you have haha....

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
So mine has a loop recording too with 128GB of storage, I get 17 hours with my card and then it records over it. That's what i meant, by asking how much footage you have haha....
hahahaha...sorry I misunderstood your question.... but yeah...I dont check it that often anymore.....but I guess I do have hours and hours of recordings....

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
hahahaha...sorry I misunderstood your question.... but yeah...I dont check it that often anymore.....but I guess I do have hours and hours of recordings....
:D
Sound like it's good enough... Good to know, i might change mine to the parking recording too... thanks!

EugeneYYZ

Reaction score
What is a hot day for you? My Q800s don't melt off at all after sitting in the sun, 90+ F, for 8+ hours. I do have a sun visor, but it wraps around the camera, so the camera and tape that hold it are exposed to straight sun still. Maybe you got defective tape, or do you retape it every time?
35Celcious , sun from the side , after 3 , 4 hours staying on parking lot it fells off . when i used clear tape from home depot it stays much longer , but original black foamy unreliable

RAMEN

Reaction score
I have the Viofo Duo hardwired parking mode. Love it.

Could you snap a pic of your windshield setup, I am curious where people attach it since in mine thee is a massive black “box” behind the rearview mirror

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
frankly....you get unlimited footages because it loops over once it's out of hd space. But I did put in a 256GB card... it has been 2 months and the card still has plenty of space left.... I have it set on sensor parking mode (it will record when someone near the truck, which is very often), and of course when I'm driving....it's my daily driver and I do work 5 days a week and go out on weekends. I heard every 2 or 3 months or so...the dash cam will beep the heck out of it...and that is because it wants to reformat the card...weird... but I have not experienced that yet...maybe that guy had a bad card. BTW, I set it to record 5 minutes of footages at a time..after that It will start a new file. And also I get 2 files of each 5 minutes, front file and rear file.
There is a setting in the Viofo called "Format Warning". Viofo recommends setting this to 60 days to keep your memory card fresh; you must have yours turned off.

Thr33BlindMice

Reaction score
Could you snap a pic of your windshield setup, I am curious where people attach it since in mine thee is a massive black “box” behind the rearview mirror

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 20200807_090353.jpg
    20200807_090353.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 182
  • 20200807_090425.jpg
    20200807_090425.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 20200807_090411.jpg
    20200807_090411.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 177

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Any of you using these in upper Midwest? I am talking about -30F days . Will these survive ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/