5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BEST Dash Cameras for Our Trucks

RAMEN

Reaction score
Please share your pics of dash cameras that are recording front and back or recommend the best ones that fit our truck windshield/rear window set up.

Thank you!

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve got a Rove though it’s only front facing/recording. Very happy with it, only $109 at Walmart. Comes with built in gps, WiFi, etc. I installed it just to the right of the rear view mirror.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just installed a Thinkware Q800 Pro dashcam tonight in the Ram, along with the rear view camera. No videos from it yet, but here is a video clip from the same model camera in my wife's Grand Cherokee.

I wanted the 4K dash camera, but the Q800 goes on sale semi-frequently for about half the price of the 4K Thinkware, so I use them mostly. Great 2k quality, no complaints. Here's a clip for the Grand Cherokee that I saved back in May after a Honda Pilot tried to run me off the road (didn't check their mirrors) when I happened to be driving. I reduced this size (and therefore the quality) for easier upload/viewing on the web, in the full resolution clip you can read the license plates. I thought I had also saved the full resolution clip, but I must have deleted it.

I also need to nab the CPL filters, to get rid of the dash reflection into the camera lens. Haven't got around to that yet.

Extole

Reaction score
i am stuck between these two..

(placing the rear view dash cam seems like it need to be positioned in an akward position for a truck)

and

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i am stuck between these two..

(placing the rear view dash cam seems like it need to be positioned in an akward position for a truck)

and

viofo

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been using Viofo for years now and can confidently say it’s by far the best camera you can buy. Buy the new double sided A129 and you won’t regret it!
the A119 I have in my truck now is 4 years old already(in the Arizona heat, that’s impressive...), and have been to 3 different vehicles of mine. We also have 5 other cars in the family that uses Viofo, all working great.

oldtimer

Reaction score
So, the front camera is hard wired; what about the rear camera? Batteries?

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, the front camera is hard wired; what about the rear camera? Batteries?

You answered your question. The front is hard wired that means the rear is slaving off the power of the camera

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Rexing V1 that I bought several years ago that works fine. They're finicky in that if you don't format the card every so often it'll make the audio choppy, but video quality is still great. Saved my wife from someone turning in front of her, as well as caught several near misses on mine. Bought it on sale, so for under $80 (at the time) it's pretty good. It's now under $50.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people have good luck with no-name and off-brand cameras, especially Chinese ones. And if you do, congrats. However, I've had terrible luck with them, and bad luck even a few known brand names (like Cobra). Many worked great initially, but quit on me randomly, most without warning. I'd later discover their deaths when I went to pull footage, only to realize there was none because they had died.

I went through two different brands from Amazon, and one from Costco, with good reviews online, before calling it quits.

I've had great luck with Thinkware, they've held up in 90-100 degree temps with high humidity, as well as double digit negative temperatures in the winter. They can be a bit sensitive to "incidents" (when they think something hit you) out of the box, but you can turn that sensitivity down easily. They've always worked, and I can trust them.

The only two brands I'd trust right now 100% are Blackvue and Thinkware. Rexing I've heard quite a few good things about, but no experience with them.

Extole

Reaction score
quick question.. when installing your dash cams are you guys hard wiring all the way to the fuse box under the steering wheel or tapping into the connections behind the review mirror?

Extole

Reaction score
decided on this.. thoughts? why are aren't rear view mirror dash cams more popular? it seems like it has everything and even 4k without obstructing window realestate

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
decided on this.. thoughts? why are aren't rear view mirror dash cams more popular? it seems like it has everything and even 4k without obstructing window realestate

Seriously go to the thread dash cam hard wired the VIOFO isn’t taken up any real estate if your not on a budget the VIOFO is the clear winner period. Another site called dashcamralk.com

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My dash cam is right at the bottom of my mirror housing on the windshield. If I have the screen turned off I rarely even know it's there unless I glance up and see the lights on the buttons at night. If you put it on the passenger side behind your mirror you'd never see it. I just wanted to be able to reach it to lock in a recording if needed.

RAMEN

Reaction score
Hard-wire Dash Cam Install

Can you talk about the parking mode? I am watching the reviews of various dash cams and they are all claiming Thinkware and Blackvue are best for that and Viofo lacks in that regard significantly.

Please share your thoughts and experience.

Thank you!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BEST is subjective. Some swear by Thinkware and Blackvue; but they cost twice as much as many good cameras. I have used a Vantrue T2 and I don't recommend it. I thought the T2 shape would be better, but actually the Rexing, Viofo, Street Guardian shape is ideal. I am completely sold on VIOFO A129 Duo. I have been using my A129 for probably about a year and it never fails. The video is outstanding both front and rear (but I'm too lazy to go get you a video right now). I don't see how any camera could be better all around and a better value than the A129 Duo. Well, I found a video still in my editor; so here it is:
NOTE: THIS DOES NOT REPRESENT THE QUALITY FROM THE CAMERA; APPARENTLY YOU TUBE KNOCKS THE RESOLUTION DOWN....THE ORIGINAL VIDEO IS CRYSTAL CLEAR AND HAS SMOOTH MOTION.

Last edited:

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you talk about the parking mode? I am watching the reviews of various dash cams and they are all claiming Thinkware and Blackvue are best for that and Viofo lacks in that regard significantly.

Thank you!

Exactly non of those cam will beat VIOFO video quality parking mode can be da. Led with I’m so many ways What feature of parking mode they say is better than VIOFO ?

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thank you!

Most of the time, I don't even use parking mode. VIOFO has a parking mode and it works. I don't know what Thinkware and Blackvue do that is so much better than other cameras with parking mode, but it certainly isn't worth the premium you will pay for it. Parking mode is a nice to have; but it isn't going to do much for you anyway. The thing about having a camera is to protect yourself from liability issues. I had one of my children involved in a fatality accident once; I wish she had a camera because it would have alleviated a lot of the stress that we went through until the investigation was over (she was not at fault). The camera protects you; not your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/