5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The best $20 dash cam hardwire plug & play adapter you will ever buy

gpbst3

Reaction score

It took more time trying to get the rearview mirror trim off. Completely plug and play, even I could do it. Unplug the port going into the rearview mirror and plug in the adapter.

I bought a 12in usb connector for my dash cam. I could have easily used an 8in adapter. All depends on your cam placement.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score

It took more time trying to get the rearview mirror trim off. Completely plug and play, even I could do it. Unplug the port going into the rearview mirror and plug in the adapter.

I bought a 12in usb connector for my dash cam. I could have easily used an 8in adapter. All depends on your cam placement.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Kob0583

Reaction score

Does the adapter plug in under the larger shroud on the windshield? If so I’m in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilcher

Reaction score
I found this post with some tips on removing the rearview mirror housing. I haven't tried it myself yet...

Last edited:

Bighorned

Reaction score

so this provides power for the dash cam? Whats the usb port for. Sorry if I sound silly lol.

kilcher

Reaction score
so this provides power for the dash cam? Whats the usb port for. Sorry if I sound silly lol.

The dashcam would need a short micro-USB to USB cable (mine came with one). You plug the USB end into the $20 adaptor in the first post and then plug that in behind the mirror housing.

This video kind of shows how it works...

Last edited:

Bighorned

Reaction score
The dashcam would need a short micro-USB to USB cable (mine came with one). You plug the USB end into the $20 adaptor in the first post and then plug that in behind the mirror housing.

I'm watching this video now, looks like it should show everything...

Thank you very much.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Something to consider:
POST 13,619

Frozenwater

Reaction score
Bumping this. Sorry I know its a bit old.
Have many people tried this? Trying to find more info. It steps down to 5v as well?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I read on another thread (don't remember which one) that this is not a good option for our trucks. Something about the voltages.

Users who are viewing this thread