5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Beast arrived today...

jives

Reaction score
Thanks jives...it's the factory cargo divider that you get when you order the Rambox & Bed Utility Group options. I believe you need to select both options to get that divider...it is really useful!
Hmm I did not get ramboxes but I did get bed utility. I wonder if it will fit a wider bed if I order one. When it’s convenient will you see if it has a part number stamped on it?

Islander

Reaction score
Hmm I did not get ramboxes but I did get bed utility. I wonder if it will fit a wider bed if I order one. When it’s convenient will you see if it has a part number stamped on it?
Here is my part number...but thinking about it more I doubt this will work without Ramboxes due to the narrower bed width you get with Ramboxes.

Attachments

• 20220501_142154.jpg
    20220501_142154.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 6

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s rambox specific won’t work with the standard bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jives

Reaction score
Here is my part number...but thinking about it more I doubt this will work without Ramboxes due to the narrower bed width you get with Ramboxes.
Makes sense but I wonder if there is a non ram box version? Seems odd there wouldn’t be

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh there is if your looking for just a divider. P/n #82215481 attaches to the rails.

Amp research made one also.

jives

Reaction score
Oh there is if your looking for just a divider. P/n #82215481 attaches to the rails.

Amp research made one also.

That thing looks oddly complicated. I guess I will just cut a 2x4 the right size.

Seems silly they wouldn’t make one that was simply compatible with their bed rails… hmm may go into fabrication mode

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Well I got the Retrax Pro MX on today and am very pleased with the fit, look and quality. It took me about 3 hours since I took my time and this is the 1st bed cover I have ever installed. I just followed the instructions and with a lot of tweaking and adjusting I think it is sealed up nicely. Tomorrow I will install the ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal Kit.

My BIGGEST worry was that the Rambox lids might not open freely...but they certainly do with no binding at all.

...and wouldn't ya know some really dark.rain clouds are starting to roll in now lol
Glad your install went good!
Tried to install my cover today and it doesn't fit not even close. I have a 2022 limited and I guess the ram boxes and rails from the factory are different on the big horn vs a limited. I'm beyond pissed off, I don't know how I could mount ANY cover on my truck except the the crappy soft one it came with.
P_20220507_141708.jpg P_20220507_141718.jpg P_20220507_141732.jpg P_20220507_141816.jpg P_20220507_141805.jpg P_20220507_142120.jpg P_20220507_142130.jpg P_20220507_142108.jpg

Islander

Reaction score
Glad your install went good!
Tried to install my cover today and it doesn't fit not even close. I have a 2022 limited and I guess the ram boxes and rails from the factory are different on the big horn vs a limited. I'm beyond pissed off, I don't know how I could mount ANY cover on my truck except the the crappy soft one it came with.
View attachment 128809 View attachment 128810 View attachment 128811 View attachment 128812 View attachment 128813 View attachment 128814 View attachment 128815 View attachment 128816
Ah man...sorry to hear this!

If you have Ramboxes on your Limited, it should have come with "silver rails"!? That's why the Retrax hardware won't fit.

From the pics it looks like you have black rails that came with your truck???

Now that I think about it more I do remember reading that if you buy a factory soft cover they install the black rails on your truck instead.

I believe you can buy the Silver ones from Mopar...or Retrax I think and swap them out.

Sucks I know...

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Ah man...sorry to hear this!

If you have Ramboxes on your Limited, it should have come with "silver rails"!? That's why the Retrax hardware won't fit.

From the pics it looks like you have black rails that came with your truck???

Now that I think about it more I do remember reading that if you buy a factory soft cover they install the black rails on your truck instead.

I believe you can buy the Silver ones from Mopar...or Retrax I think and swap them out.

Sucks I know...
I don't get why I need to buy more parts when I bought a limited vs a lower trim level, doesn't make sense.
There also was no option to not get the soft cover if I got a Laramie there was an option for soft cover delete. Even right now I'm not able to delete the soft cover on the website only the spray in bed liner.

I wish the websites would make it more clear that covers only fit certain trims of a truck, I've never had this problem with covers before completely outrageous.

Islander

Reaction score
I don't get why I need to buy more parts when I bought a limited vs a lower trim level, doesn't make sense.
There also was no option to not get the soft cover if I got a Laramie there was an option for soft cover delete. Even right now I'm not able to delete the soft cover on the website only the spray in bed liner.

I wish the websites would make it more clear that covers only fit certain trims of a truck, I've never had this problem with covers before completely outrageous.
Wow ...yeah it doesn't make sense to me either why you don't have the option to delete the soft cover on a high-end Limited trim...

I believe these are the rails you will need:

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow ...yeah it doesn't make sense to me either why you don't have the option to delete the soft cover on a high-end Limited trim...
Yeah I've no idea.
I am emailing Mark Dodge where I got it from and see if they have seen this before but it sound alike I'm out of luck. I would need to order some rails and remove the existing as 2022 limited are essentially to only being allowed to use the soft cover it comes with, I believe this is made worse as with ramboxes my options are already limited.
Sucks to buy a truck with an msrp of 80k and find out you can't even get a secure cover installed. I guess I should of gotten a bighorn like you and I wouldn't of had this problem. Only reason I got a limited over a Laramie was they were screwing with packages due to "chip shortages" and weren't allowing me to get the packages I wanted.

Islander

Reaction score
Yeah I've no idea.
I am emailing Mark Dodge where I got it from and see if they have seen this before but it sound alike I'm out of luck. I would need to order some rails and remove the existing as 2022 limited are essentially to only being allowed to use the soft cover it comes with, I believe this is made worse as with ramboxes my options are already limited.
Sucks to buy a truck with an msrp of 80k and find out you can't even get a secure cover installed. I guess I should of gotten a bighorn like you and I wouldn't of had this problem. Only reason I got a limited over a Laramie was they were screwing with packages due to "chip shortages" and weren't allowing me to get the packages I wanted.
It will be interesting to see what they say. Since you already bought the cover...and it is a very very nice cover, and as frustrating as it is, I would swap the rails out...pasted the link in previous post...$273. You will love the Retrax...

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what they say. Since you already bought the cover...and it is a very very nice cover, and as frustrating as it is, I would swap the rails out...pasted the link in previous post...$273. You will love the Retrax...
I see the link you sent, I think that's what I need also.

Problem is how to seal it. The current rails are screwed in and have some kind of a seal behind going along the entire side. If I install the silver rail water is going to pour in without any kind of seal. Right now my bed is completely dry when it rains except the very end cornor by the tailgate.
It also says no hardware is included so I need to hope the existing screws fit the silver rail and there's an extra seal included to prevent water from rushing in directly down the side of the rails. That is assuming the retrax doesn't cover the silver rail completely onto the rambox itself?
Ugh what a pain, I don't want to be taking stuff off the new truck just adding stuff to it :(

Islander

Reaction score
I see the link you sent, I think that's what I need also.

Problem is how to seal it. The current rails are screwed in and have some kind of a seal behind going along the entire side. If I install the silver rail water is going to pour in without any kind of seal. Right now my bed is completely dry when it rains except the very end cornor by the tailgate.
It also says no hardware is included so I need to hope the existing screws fit the silver rail and there's an extra seal included to prevent water from rushing in directly down the side of the rails. That is assuming the retrax doesn't cover the silver rail completely onto the rambox itself?
Ugh what a pain, I don't want to be taking stuff off the new truck just adding stuff to it :(
Hmm....good point/question. I can tell you that the black Retrax rails go over the Silver rails and then with the Retrax cover on top I get no water coming in on the sides at all...or at the front of the cab (and after installing the ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal Kit for RAM 1500 with Ramboxes), I only get a very slight trickle in the tailgate corners after power washing.

That said, I have no idea about the screws and whether a seal is needed behind the Silver rails.

I am pretty sure that there are several members on this forum that have replaced the black ones. Maybe post a new thread with this question?

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hmm....good point/question. I can tell you that the black Retrax rails go over the Silver rails and then with the Retrax cover on top I get no water coming in on the sides at all...or at the front of the cab.

That said I have no idea about the screws and whether a seal is needed behind the Silver rails.

I am pretty sure that there are several numbers on this forum that have replaced the black ones. Maybe post a new thread with this question?
Yeah I posted a new thread about the black rails. If I had to guess I will need to buy a seal of some kind for each side but the screws would most likely fit and be reusable. There is a seal on my black rails but I think it will rip off if I remove them.
I found a bunch of threads of people with black rails looking to trade for silver claiming the blacks cost more money, funny how I don't see anyone looking for the black rails.

Users who are viewing this thread