5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That *&^%$#@! Ram Build & Price Configurator.... Grrrr

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
That Dang Ram & Build Configurator Blows :( - There's A Trick To It : (

Last week when i tried (several times) to build my Laramie with 20's and only am 8.4 inch NAV screen, it wouldn't let me, it kept forcing level 2 & a 12 inch honkin' radio & those dang 22's when i choose the $795.00 NAV option, OR forcing just 8.4 with NO NAV... So i went to the dealer and he tried as well, it kept removing the NAV 8.4 and forcing Level 2. So i wound up ordering a Lone Star and it came to same price (within $850.00) Laramie ... At first i was like, okay, cuz there is no way i could deal with a Chrome bumper and that is the ONLY way the configurator would build IF i didn't add Level 2 when trying to get the 20's & keep Level 1.

But TODAY, i figured out HOW to remove Sport Appearance & then add a Sunroof, THEN it lets u add Level 1 and u just have to "go back a page and re-add Sport Appearance"

So if ur messing with the configurator, it seems you have to try it different ways to get the build you want becuz SOME options ARE available when u play around with it, even if AT FIRST it shows they aren't : )

Last edited:

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
Well, after looking for months for the EXACT truck that had ALL the upgrades i wanted but NONE of the extras i didn't, i finally inquired at my local dealer about ordering one.

Would you believe (i still in shock : ) my dealer loved my "build" so much he said he will order my truck to my EXACT specs, even have my name printed on window sticker : ) without ANY deposit so i can 100% see it, drive it, and compare to my existing truck?! I've been dealing with dealers forever, and while they range from "very accomodating" to "greedy you know whats", this level of graciousness is an absolute first for me : )

I have a Black Appearance 2019 Big Horn Level 2/3.92/Alpine/but when i drove his 3.92 gear 4x2 Laramie Level 2 with those 22's (i think) just made it feel sluggish compared to my Big Horn's zip zip....

So he offered to replicate my Big Horn Build, but add all the extras i wanted (Pano Roof/Ram Box/Blind Spot /LED's & 8.4 Nav (hate that 12 inch screen, i know i'm weird : ) but then i told him i was worried all that added weight MIGHT make it feel sluggish to me as well, so he said, "the way you built it is great, i will have no trouble selling it IF you don't care for its drive"... What a guy!

Ordered yesterday, and it says its allocated for current build time frame, so should be here in 6 weeks! Pretty dang excited : )

The dreaded 6 weeks lol. A dealer did that for me without even meeting me in person. Communicated through email and ordered a '18 Grand Cherokee SRT with no daown payment or commitment to my specs and had my name on it when it came in. They even called me to come down when they took it off the truck and pulled the plastic off. Despite the **** rep most dealers get (most deserve it) there are still a few good guys left.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.JPG
    IMG_2814.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 91
  • e.png
    e.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 88

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
yup yup, u are right... Gotta weed thru a whole lot of bs to find the gems, but they DO still exist : )

And also, few ppl are aware you should be able to order "any truck you want" with a 500.00 deposit and no matter what the dealer says, it is ENTIRELY refundable.

The problem is, if the build is too "personalized", and for whatever reason you DON'T want the truck when it comes in, you might have to deal with a little "unpleasantness" when you back out.

I'm overjoyed that all my misgivings are already "out there", and he was only to happy to order it ANY WAY, so i know at the end of THIS rainbow is either "my dream truck" or a "no harm/no foul understanding from my dealer, "not a fight & struggle to get my deposit back" : )

And a 6 week wait is a "cakewalk"... i've been searching dealer inventories FAR & WIDE for over 4 months and always finding one that is "kind of close, but not exactly, paying for something i REALLY didn't want & not having something i REALLY did (Ramboxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!!! : )

i ALWAYS wanted a Rambox, BUT on other colors i hated seeing the lines of it. Now that i finally have an all black truck, i love it- And the 5th gen's Rambox is highly improved too, went and looked at one before i ordered : )

Last edited:

sgk

Reaction score
Well, after looking for months for the EXACT truck that had ALL the upgrades i wanted but NONE of the extras i didn't, i finally inquired at my local dealer about ordering one.

Would you believe (i still in shock : ) my dealer loved my "build" so much he said he will order my truck to my EXACT specs, even have my name printed on window sticker : ) without ANY deposit so i can 100% see it, drive it, and compare to my existing truck?! I've been dealing with dealers forever, and while they range from "very accomodating" to "greedy you know whats", this level of graciousness is an absolute first for me : )

I have a Black Appearance 2019 Big Horn Level 2/3.92/Alpine/but when i drove his 3.92 gear 4x2 Laramie Level 2 with those 22's (i think) just made it feel sluggish compared to my Big Horn's zip zip....

So he offered to replicate my Big Horn Build, but add all the extras i wanted (Pano Roof/Ram Box/Blind Spot /LED's & 8.4 Nav (hate that 12 inch screen, i know i'm weird : ) but then i told him i was worried all that added weight MIGHT make it feel sluggish to me as well, so he said, "the way you built it is great, i will have no trouble selling it IF you don't care for its drive"... What a guy!

Ordered yesterday, and it says its allocated for current build time frame, so should be here in 6 weeks! Pretty dang excited : )
Doesn't surprise me you don't like the 12", after all you are "always wrong" Maybe it will eventually grow on you. You're not the first to say that though and I have yet to see a 8.4 in the new Rams.
Not taking a deposit is pretty odd, they must have a good feeling you won't buy another one if pops up with your build, or they truly love your build. Either way that very nice of them.
Now if this dealer has a good service department they are truly a keeper, that's where I see a lot of them fail at keeping clients happy.

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me you don't like the 12", after all you are "always wrong" Maybe it will eventually grow on you. You're not the first to say that though and I have yet to see a 8.4 in the new Rams.
Not taking a deposit is pretty odd, they must have a good feeling you won't buy another one if pops up with your build, or they truly love your build. Either way that very nice of them.
Now if this dealer has a good service department they are truly a keeper, that's where I see a lot of them fail at keeping clients happy.
The 12" was never a thought for me. The fingerprints and lack of climate control knobs was the deal breaker for me.much happier with my 8.4" screen than I ever would have been with the 12". Seems only necessary to show friends "hey check this out" lol.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Blvckr3bel, how do you like your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT? I had a 2014 JGC SRT that I traded in on my new 2019 Ram Laramie. I also have a 2018 Durango SRT that my wife wanted because the grand kids can sit in the third seat. BTW, the exhaust sound on the Durango is more gnarly than my Grand Cherokee SRT. I loved the sound on the Jeep . However, I really love the sound on the Durango.

Blvckr3bel

Reaction score
Blvckr3bel, how do you like your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT? I had a 2014 JGC SRT that I traded in on my new 2019 Ram Laramie. I also have a 2018 Durango SRT that my wife wanted because the grand kids can sit in the third seat. BTW, the exhaust sound on the Durango is more gnarly than my Grand Cherokee SRT. I loved the sound on the Jeep . However, I really love the sound on the Durango.
Amazing as expected with the price tag lol. Here are some sound clips after i added the Borla S Type. Such a fun vehicle. I love the sound of the 6.4l when you let em breathe. Not much done to it. aFe Magnum intake, Borla S type, and some cosmetic things but what else does it need?

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. That Borla S system makes it sound more like the Durango. Actually, I believe, even better.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score

Hey sgk!

Yeah, i think they truly understood the Laramie i drove felt way different on takeoff, and they are hopeful this truck will be the "sweet spot" and i'll buy it : )

And No, the 12 inch Portrait screen never ever would have grown on me, its orientation was just too dang long, and with the split screen i noticed delays and lag time when "playing around with it", and i didn't like the overwhelming options on its face either... Wayyyy too busy an interface : ) PLUS, out of principal alone it peeved me off i can't build a Laramie with Level 1 with an 8.4 inch screen that INCLUDED Nav and 20 inch wheels so no Laramie for this girl (goodbye proximity key...grrrr : )

But that's funny about not surprising you cuz i'm "always wrong"....guilty! lol

Ickabod

Reaction score
... i can't build a Laramie with Level 1 with an 8.4 inch screen that INCLUDED Nav and 20 inch wheels so no Laramie for this girl...
Why can't you build a Laramie with level 1 and 8.4? This is the setup I have, Laramie, level 1, 8.4 screen. I don't have 20" wheels, but I don't think this is blocked by other options.

gmab

Reaction score
Just took delivery last week. My dealer didn't ask for a deposit. Also, picking it up was a real treat as I didn't get any pressure or lengthy talks regarding extended warranties, add-on's, etc. I hate that BS and there was none of it this time around.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Just took delivery last week. My dealer didn't ask for a deposit. Also, picking it up was a real treat as I didn't get any pressure or lengthy talks regarding extended warranties, add-on's, etc. I hate that BS and there was none of it this time around.

I see it was built 3/2019...When was it ordered?!

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
Order went in on Mar 14th. Built and KZ status by Mar 31st. Picked it up on 4/25.
Shipping took longer than the build.
I watched it sit waiting for Rail loading.

that's crazy...but all in all "package to plate" in 6 weeks is pret-ty good to get the EXACT truck ya want... Was ur name on the Window Sticker under SOLD TO:?

carbonhuntram

Reaction score
I am in full agreement with the crummy build and price site for Ram. I just went through the time and effort to meet with a dealer owner and go through the ordering process with him. First the build through his company site wouldn't let me order my Laramie without a 12" screen. But he said he would call his rep and see if that can be fixed (he chalked it up to a glitch in their system...little did I know). Next the price came in 6k over what was listed in the build and price site. 6k! I left after some time to let him figure it all out and just now (three days later) received the text that the factory will not let a 2019 build for the laramie go out without a 12" screen choice. A nice extra grand for that. Didn't think I was asking for to much, Laramie, sport appearance,33 gal, v8, off road, level one, 3.21. Guess the gods want me to wait it out til the 2020 builds get to april of next year. At least more of the bugs will be gone by then as well.

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
I am in full agreement with the crummy build and price site for Ram. I just went through the time and effort to meet with a dealer owner and go through the ordering process with him. First the build through his company site wouldn't let me order my Laramie without a 12" screen. But he said he would call his rep and see if that can be fixed (he chalked it up to a glitch in their system...little did I know). Next the price came in 6k over what was listed in the build and price site. 6k! I left after some time to let him figure it all out and just now (three days later) received the text that the factory will not let a 2019 build for the laramie go out without a 12" screen choice. A nice extra grand for that. Didn't think I was asking for to much, Laramie, sport appearance,33 gal, v8, off road, level one, 3.21. Guess the gods want me to wait it out til the 2020 builds get to april of next year. At least more of the bugs will be gone by then as well.

Yeah i hit that wall too... And its not the money, its that dang "wrong orientation busy a$$ screen without physical buttons" that i ABSOLUTELY hate... But don't hold ur breath for the 2020's, cuz i can almost guarantee EVERY Laramie will require the 12 inch also... And its $1,300 extra, not just a grand : ( 8.4 without it is 795.00, with is $2095.00)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/