5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That darn Duramax

Guppydriver

Reaction score
I was days away from ordering a Limited Ram eTorque, when I decided to at least go look at a GMC because I think they are very pretty trucks on the outside, and my Dad was a Chevy guy. I won’t comment on the interior because I think it’s been covered over and over again by every media outlet. It was what I thought it was, although I didn’t find it as hideous as some claim. I decided to drive it since I was there anyway. It was a pretty loaded SLT with the straight six new light diesel Duramax.

Holy cow. I’m not going to lie. That motor blew me away. I hadn’t driven any diesel in some time, but it was quite impressive. Refined, quiet, powerful, and light as well with the aluminum block. It was also only a $2500 upgrade. I think the sticker was $62.5 and there is $6.5 rebate active right now. I much preferred it to the EcoDiesel, which would be substantially more expensive in a Ram. In a perfect world, I could have the GM motor with the Ram interior and technology.

I usually make decisions pretty easily and don’t look back, but I don’t make 60K decisions all too often, so this one is interesting. Did any other forum here seriously member contemplate the GM? If it were gas to gas comparison, I’m taking the RAM from a value standpoint....but this Duramax has complicated things a bit for me. Going to drive the Ram ETorque and a Chevy LTZ diesel one more time and then make my decision.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Curious as to why you‘re not considering test driving the RAM Eco Diesel, so you can have an apples to apples comparison.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I looked at the new Chevys and GMC’s, the way I see it is I spend 100% of the time in my truck inside my truck not in the engine compartment, and the interior was so outdated and blah that I couldn’t even consider spending serious money on one of them. I swear the steering wheel looked like it was out of a 1997 Z71, pass.....

Guppydriver

Reaction score
Curious as to why you‘re not considering test driving the RAM Eco Diesel, so you can have an apples to apples comparison.

I did Neuro.... I enjoyed it very much, but honestly, the Duramax was a smoother engine as well as quicker. The ED tows about 800 pounds more, but I’ll never have a boat that weighs more than 9000 pounds. Also the premium cost for the EcoDiesel was greater than the GMC. A Ram limited with ED runs about 71, while the Denali Duramax I was looking at was 66K and the SLT was 63K (MSRP). I guess a Laramie ED would be a better comparison to the SLT, so I’ll start looking running the price configurator for that.

Guppydriver

Reaction score
I looked at the new Chevys and GMC’s, the way I see it is I spend 100% of the time in my truck inside my truck not in the engine compartment, and the interior was so outdated and blah that I couldn’t even consider spending serious money on one of them. I swear the steering wheel looked like it was out of a 1997 Z71, pass.....

I hear you man...The Chevy parts bin runs deep. That’s why I was pretty sure on the Ram....but that Duramax is a great motor considering it’s only a $2500 upgrade. If I can find a Ram dealer to be a little more aggressive on their dealer discount, I will buy the ED...right now its between a gas Ram and the Oil burning GM

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Diesels are meant to be loud, unrefined soot blowers. Modern electronics do not belong, give me a 5.9 12 valve any day

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hear you man...The Chevy parts bin runs deep. That’s why I was pretty sure on the Ram....but that Duramax is a great motor considering it’s only a $2500 upgrade. If I can find a Ram dealer to be a little more aggressive on their dealer discount, I will buy the ED...right now its between a gas Ram and the Oil burning GM

The only way the Duramax would drive my purchase decision is if it was in a 2500 or 3500 and you towed regularly, of course I’m more a Cummins fan than Duramax but that’s a another story. My Buddy recently bought a Eco D in a Laramie level 2 with Off Road group and the transformer tailgate and only spent like 53k for it. You can do better than that GM in my opinion.

silver billet

Reaction score
Buy what YOU want, not what posters here tell you is all "wrong" with the GMC. I don't mind the GM interiors either, they may not look as pretty but you can be guaranteed it will last longer (if you intend to keep your truck "forever"). Also yes that DMax is amazing, it gets the best MPG and is quicker than the ED as well. TFL Truck also just rated it the best half ton diesel, so you're not alone.

If the DMax was available when I purchased my truck, I would have had the same decision to make. I bought the Ram because it was at least $10K cheaper than the equivalent spec Chevy at the time, but now? Totally different decision to make.

Both are great trucks, just depends on what you like best about a specific truck. Powertrain is a huge thing. You may not sit in the engine bay, but you will notice a great power train every second you're driving it.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Buy what YOU want, not what posters here tell you is all "wrong" with the GMC. I don't mind the GM interiors either, they may not look as pretty but you can be guaranteed it will last longer (if you intend to keep your truck "forever"). Also yes that DMax is amazing, it gets the best MPG and is quicker than the ED as well. TFL Truck also just rated it the best half ton diesel, so you're not alone.

If the DMax was available when I purchased my truck, I would have had the same decision to make. I bought the Ram because it was at least $10K cheaper than the equivalent spec Chevy at the time, but now? Totally different decision to make.

Both are great trucks, just depends on what you like best about a specific truck. Powertrain is a huge thing. You may not sit in the engine bay, but you will notice a great power train every second you're driving it.
Agree. Buy according to your wants/likes/needs.

myles

Reaction score
I was days away from ordering a Limited Ram eTorque, when I decided to at least go look at a GMC because I think they are very pretty trucks on the outside, and my Dad was a Chevy guy. I won’t comment on the interior because I think it’s been covered over and over again by every media outlet. It was what I thought it was, although I didn’t find it as hideous as some claim. I decided to drive it since I was there anyway. It was a pretty loaded SLT with the straight six new light diesel Duramax.

Holy cow. I’m not going to lie. That motor blew me away. I hadn’t driven any diesel in some time, but it was quite impressive. Refined, quiet, powerful, and light as well with the aluminum block. It was also only a $2500 upgrade. I think the sticker was $62.5 and there is $6.5 rebate active right now. I much preferred it to the EcoDiesel, which would be substantially more expensive in a Ram. In a perfect world, I could have the GM motor with the Ram interior and technology.

I usually make decisions pretty easily and don’t look back, but I don’t make 60K decisions all too often, so this one is interesting. Did any other forum here seriously member contemplate the GM? If it were gas to gas comparison, I’m taking the RAM from a value standpoint....but this Duramax has complicated things a bit for me. Going to drive the Ram ETorque and a Chevy LTZ diesel one more time and then make my decision.
came from a GMC/Chevy family

main reason I wanted was because my 1st truck trans blew up at 140k miles
And my 2015 trans blew up at 108k, just barely out of warranty. Truck was only 3.5 years old

I picked ram For the ecodiesel, GM’s minimax wasn’t available when I purchased. And the interior in the new rams knocks it out of the park. Literally every single person that gets in my truck says wow. Never got that with my GMC

yes there’s a lot of electrics but it’s been mostly reliable for me.Had a problem with my 12” screen but the dealer fixed it. And they ordered a new one anyways. So I’ll get that installed once it comes in

the only thing that takes some getting used to is the diesel lag. Coming from a gas truck it’s very different. I don’t even notice it now but I also don’t race around.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't mind the GM interiors either, they may not look as pretty but you can be guaranteed it will last longer (if you intend to keep your truck "forever").
No way in the world you can back up this claim. Way too many variables involved, as well as...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably don't have the psychic abilities required to know this.

silver billet

Reaction score
No way in the world you can back up this claim. Way too many variables involved, as well as...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you probably don't have the psychic abilities required to know this.

Engineers deal with this problem all the time, nothing psychic about it. Materials have known properties. Hard plastics last longer than soft plastics, etc.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Engineers deal with this problem all the time, nothing psychic about it. Materials have known properties. Hard plastics last longer than soft plastics, etc.
Hahaha...well you did say if he was keeping it "forever". I've owned my fair share of Chevy trucks with cracked dash pads and broken hard plastic dash components. Most people don't keep them long enough for the difference to matter, and for me at least, I'd much rather sit in an interior that pleases me than in one in which I was less than pleased about. Apparently that's not the case for you, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's all about the driving experience for me, and the interiors in these Ram trucks is second to none. It even rivals luxury cars I've been in. If I was interested in interior longevity I'd buy a fully restored old truck with a steel dash and throw a Sadleman seat cover (which I'd replace regularly) on the cloth bench seat and call it good.

silver billet

Reaction score
...and for me at least, I'd much rather sit in an interior that pleases me than in one in which I was less than pleased about. Apparently that's not the case for you...

You're not really getting what I'm trying to say. I too prefer the Ram interior, it's nicer. But a truck is more than just interior, I find the exterior sexier on the chevy and especially the GMC variant, vs the Ram. And I prefer the GM diesel + 10 speed tranny over any powertrain combo from Ram. There is also price and rebates to consider. So, add it all up, I bought the Ram, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't prefer to have a GM, even with the less desirable interior. It just means I got the most bang for my buck with the Ram, at the time I bought my truck. If price wasn't an issue, buying a truck today I would get the DMax hands down, interior be damned. It's just not an enough of an issue for me since the rest of the truck checks off so many of the boxes I put value on. The interior is very functional, looks great, works great. I would have no problem owning it.

Too many people on this forum bring out the whole interior thing as a battering ram in an argument, trying to suggest that the entire GM truck is junk just because of interior alone. It's not a junk interior, it's just that the Ram is nicer. And I would never buy a truck just because of an interior. Especially not a truck I intend to "work", as opposed to "pimp".

Guppydriver

Reaction score

I appreciate this viewpoint. I would absolutely go with the ED or a loaded gas Ram if I were seeing a substantial price differential. I was literally preparing a written (email) offer to my Ram dealer when I decided to go drive the GM.

A couple observations...

1. I get that a diesel has for generations been a “tow motor”, but I think modern light diesels still have advantages. Gas won’t be this cheap forever and the light diesels are actually meeting and exceeding their MPG certifications while (as many of you have testified) the Ram gas engines are missing their estimates by a substantial mark. Even though I only tow 6-12 times a year, there is an appeal to getting nearly 30 MPG during unladen highway driving.

2. Inventory is low right now which I think is reducing a buyers leverage to negotiate maximum dealer discount. Most heavy discounters are high volume dealers. They sell cheap to maximize volume and make up for it in manufacturer kickbacks by busting quotas. Without the inventory to volume sell, the dealers must shift to maximizing per unit revenue, which means less discounts from them (The manufacturers are giving them 0/84 + deferral to help them with this).

3. I think the vast majority of the WOW factor with Ram interiors is found in the Limited trim. I mean, the first time I sat in one, I thought an S class had exploded inside of it. Don’t get me wrong, the Laramie is super nice, and as a “mid trim level” model it is arguably nicer than either of GM’s elite trims (Denali or High Country). The reason I mention this is if I buy a RAM ED, I won’t be able to afford the limited trim, which mitigates a bit of the Ram advantage.

4. Ram’s are hot right now. They are a kick butt game changing product. It’s the first “no compromise” truck I have seen. The utility of a truck without sacrificing the smoothness and creature comforts of a luxury SUV. Because of this, GM is getting their butt kicked, which is why I think they will rush an interior redo in the near future, far sooner than they otherwise would have. I think dealers know this, and know that the only way to compete is providing maximum value compared to RAM. When I drove the GMC, I told the dealer I had an appointment to drive the ED the following day and had to do my due diligence. He asked me what it would take to keep me from driving the Ram. Conversely, when I went to the Ram dealer the first time to look at he ETorque, he asked if I had driven a GMC. He then ENCOURAGED me to go get in one as soon as I could. It was bold brash, but clearly he has the product to back it up.

5. A big factor for me.. The Chevy and GM are available now to me in the color and configuration I like. The Ram would have to be ordered, which means rolling the dice on incentives. I’m inclined to take the 0/84 to keep payments low in case I am forced to take wage cut in the future. The other thing is that I scrutinize the “price off MSRP” thread quite a bit, but I can’t find anyone initially willing to go more than 10% true dealer discount . Maybe it’s the area I live in (UT), but some of you guys got mad negotiating skills to be working 15% dealer discounts and 25-30% off MSRP deals...I’m not worthy !!!! I have heard of an Idaho dealer called Dave Smith that can be pretty aggressive, I’ll call them and see what they can do.

I’ll just probably get an offer from Chevy and GM and take it to the Ram dealer and see what they can do. Regardless, this forum has been a tremendous asset for me. I like reading your real world opinions and anecdotes in helloing me make decisions. I get more value from someone who is a long term owner than from a media outlet using a truck for 24 hours.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Too many people on this forum bring out the whole interior thing as a battering ram in an argument, trying to suggest that the entire GM truck is junk just because of interior alone. It's not a junk interior, it's just that the Ram is nicer. And I would never buy a truck just because of an interior. Especially not a truck I intend to "work", as opposed to "pimp".

i never said the GM was junk, I just said GM’s and Ford for that matter are so outdated in all things interior that it’s near impossible to be looking at a $60k truck and choose them over the Ram. The interior in appearance and products in the Ram is so much more refined and technologically advanced than its competition. If a guy just needs or wants a new truck for truck work then pick any of them in a low level trim , get the best price and go forward. But when looking at mid grade and high trim levels there really just is no comparison to the ram. The gas driven powertrain in the Rams is pretty damn bulletproof too. Don’t go crazy with air suspension, whole roofs made of glass that will leak and too many electronic gadgets and you’ll have a truck that rivals the plushness of an S class with a bulletproof power plant and the capability to still operate as a truck. I looked hard the GM products as they were highly discounted a couple months ago, but they just didn’t do it for me personalily.

silver billet

Reaction score
i never said the GM was junk, I just said GM’s and Ford for that matter are so outdated in all things interior that it’s near impossible to be looking at a $60k truck and choose them over the Ram. The interior in appearance and products in the Ram is so much more refined and technologically advanced than its competition. If a guy just needs or wants a new truck for truck work then pick any of them in a low level trim , get the best price and go forward. But when looking at mid grade and high trim levels there really just is no comparison to the ram. The gas driven powertrain in the Rams is pretty damn bulletproof too. Don’t go crazy with air suspension, whole roofs made of glass that will leak and too many electronic gadgets and you’ll have a truck that rivals the plushness of an S class with a bulletproof power plant and the capability to still operate as a truck. I looked hard the GM products as they were highly discounted a couple months ago, but they just didn’t do it for me personalily.

What makes you think the Ram is more "technologically advanced"? It has literally one feature that the GMC doesn't (adaptive cruise control), while the GMC has a feature the Ram doesn't (heads up display). And no, a larger touchscreen doesn't count. It's just larger, the same features are still available on the GMC, and the GMC has better camera setups as well.

The GMC doesn't have air ride, but it has an excellent suspension called "adaptive ride control".

I'm not saying the Ram has a powertrain that isn't bulletproof, I'm saying it's less desirable than what GM offers. GM offers a better/stronger diesel (the ED is horrible off the line, massive amounts of lag etc) with better MPG, a more powerful gas 6.2, and 10 speed transmission. If you're going to claim the Ram interior is better than GM, then at least recognize that GM has a better powertrain. Tit for tat, admit where GM has pros, not just cons.

The way some of you talk about the GM twins makes me think you haven't ever sat in one but are just parroting the comments of all the various halfwit youtube "reviewers". ;)

Anyway, I think I'm done in this thread as we're all just going in circles. Enjoy your Ram, I certainly enjoy mine!

Wheeler

Reaction score
Ram got best interior but Gmc grill compensate every single detail of Ram. I am on my 4th Ram though.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have to challenge your statement about the interiors lasting longer in a GM versus RAM. No way!! My last truck was a 2015 GMC Sierra and the driver’s seat fell apart within the first six months, so they replaced it. The replacement was shot in about a year. Garbage. No thank you! Not only does it look like $hit, it is $hit!!! Nah.

Users who are viewing this thread