5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TFLTruck - Ford vs GM vs Ram: Who Did The Best Job Re-inventing the Tailgate? We Test & Rank Them!

GRAYWOLF

Reaction score
Without having watched the video, I am going to guess GM is the winner.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RickWaz

Reaction score

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I always enjoy TFLT video comparisons. In this case, it's just too subjective depending on what's most important to someone. For my money and as someone who rarely tows, I like the GM version, with Ram second and Ford third. I say that having only owned or even used the Ford tailgate step. The GM just looks much more functional than the others, although the side opening features of the Ram tailgate are very nice.

barr0208

Reaction score
wait for a year or so then do a tailgate reinvention. to me the more moving parts you have the more the issues are likely to pop up.im thinking the gm reliability will be its down fall.

ForTehNguyen

Reaction score
Without having watched the video, I am going to guess GM is the winner.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

youll be surprised

I think the GMC one is overly complicated. Who knows what the real price is since you have to bundle it with a higher trim package. My 2019 would be perfect with the split tailgate but I had to get the truck last year during the +15% off MSRP extravaganza

bigoldthor

Reaction score
wait for a year or so then do a tailgate reinvention. to me the more moving parts you have the more the issues are likely to pop up.im thinking the gm reliability will be its down fall.
You may be right, but the GM version doesn't seem to be overly complex to me. I could be way off base here, but it looks mostly mechanical with electronic switches only to open things. The Kicker stereo part could be a weak spot but it's optional. Time will tell, of course.

MO Ram Fan

Reaction score
You may be right, but the GM version doesn't seem to be overly complex to me. I could be way off base here, but it looks mostly mechanical with electronic switches only to open things. The Kicker stereo part could be a weak spot but it's optional. Time will tell, of course.
I just bought a 2020 Longhorn 4x4, and I wouldn't have gotten it without the split tailgate. The video above doesn't show the way I get into the bed with the left door open. I leave the right side closed and use it to hold on to with my right hand, and step up and pull myself up at the same time. I'm an old retiree, not real stable at times, and that right door makes me feel really secure and steady.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pretty good comparison, I appreciate you posting it.
I like the RAM and the trick GM. The Ford, being just mechanical, “works” yet really isn’t much of anything new. It’s a tailgate step, thats about it.

What I didn’t like (and I only know the RAM price) is the cost. An additional grand for the tailgate, plus all the issues people are having with covers, hitches in the bed etc... makes me glad I did not get one. (It wasn’t available in April 2019 anyway)

But then this is a (gasp) grocery getter and substitute trip car for longer drives, so tailgate-schmailgate.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW. Took my neighbor to our local Chevy dealer a couple of months ago to pick up her car. I noticed a tech. had a new Silverado multi-function tailgate all apart. By chance I saw him walk over to the parts department where I intercepted him. I asked what the problem was and his exact words were "they don't like ice."

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031227 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread