5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas winter broke my Rebel!

iliazag

Reaction score
Greetings!
2020 Rebel - made it through most of the snow and ice storms until a couple of days ago, just when I pulled into the driveway, got the "Service ABS", "Service ESC", "4WD Temporarily Unavailable", and what's most concerning, the Park would not engage - driveway has a slope and the truck would just roll down in P! Attempting to engage E-brake gives "Dynamic Braking Active" message and I can hear the servos engaging, but the brake does not.
I've researched enough to understand this is most likely a faulty wheel speed sensor - checked the 2 rear ones for resistivity, they are both around 1Ohm. Is there a way to diagnose them through the ABS module connector pins with a multimeter? If I can just replace a sensor and get the truck back on the road, I'd rather eat the expense and save myself the headache of dealing with the dealership.
Thanks!

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Greetings!
2020 Rebel - made it through most of the snow and ice storms until a couple of days ago, just when I pulled into the driveway, got the "Service ABS", "Service ESC", "4WD Temporarily Unavailable", and what's most concerning, the Park would not engage - driveway has a slope and the truck would just roll down in P! Attempting to engage E-brake gives "Dynamic Braking Active" message and I can hear the servos engaging, but the brake does not.
I've researched enough to understand this is most likely a faulty wheel speed sensor - checked the 2 rear ones for resistivity, they are both around 1Ohm. Is there a way to diagnose them through the ABS module connector pins with a multimeter? If I can just replace a sensor and get the truck back on the road, I'd rather eat the expense and save myself the headache of dealing with the dealership.
Thanks!
Welcome to the forum . Wheel speed sensor or maybe the battery ?

iliazag

Reaction score
Thank you. Battery's fine.
I saw a video where a faulty wheel sensor was diagnosed by measuring resistivity between pins on a 4th gen, but couldn't use that method because the 5th gen ABS module connector is different with a lot more pins...

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I’ve had that group of warnings a few times (ABS, Traction Control and 4WD Unavailable) and it has always cleared on its own after a few miles. It normally shows up when I first start moving and at slow speed. I have not taken it in since it always clears and I figure the dealer would say they couldn’t find anything.

iliazag

Reaction score
Interesting - I guess I'll take it for a spin and see what happens, thanks!

BNeal

Reaction score
We just moved to Texas from Iowa. Trust me - this winter storm was nothing compared to what your truck can take on. Yes, it sounds like something broke on your truck, but it should not have anything to do with what we just went through here in Texas. What we just had in Texas goes on month after month in the norther states and these trucks are built to take it on.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
40,000 miles and 2 years of Michigan winters. Never had this happen to my truck.

Code2medic

Reaction score
We just moved to Texas from Iowa. Trust me - this winter storm was nothing compared to what your truck can take on. Yes, it sounds like something broke on your truck, but it should not have anything to do with what we just went through here in Texas. What we just had in Texas goes on month after month in the norther states and these trucks are built to take it on.
Lol and yet everyone acts of the world is ending in Texas....this is a yearly occurrence for the majority of country 6 month out of out year. As bneal said cars and trucks can take far worse for many years.

iliazag

Reaction score
Oh, I'm from Moscow - Russia, that is. I know a little bit about winter weather, that's why I'm really disappointed and concerned with what happened to my truck that just turned 10K miles. ))
It's not the first time, either - one time I got a little too happy with the right pedal in 4 Low in the mud and the truck shut itself off for about 2 minutes. Worrisome, yes, but not a huge deal. This time, though, disabling 4WD rendered the truck useless, since I couldn't even get out of my driveway!
The whole underside was an icicle, but all the connections are supposed to be waterproof, so - if this is something that will happen on a regular basis in the cold weather, I am thinking RECALL time!

Drewster

Reaction score
Lol and yet everyone acts of the world is ending in Texas....this is a yearly occurrence for the majority of country 6 month out of out year. As bneal said cars and trucks can take far worse for many years.
The difference is that Texas does not have equipment to clear roads, many houses only have an electric heat pump that uses the Air Conditioner (no furnace), and shedding heat during summer is the primary building objective - not keeping it in. I've driven in Colorado, Wyoming, and Indiana during the winter, often in the negatives... but you could drive on a salted road or through some ruts in the snow and get to a warm, powered destination. In Texas, many had to deal with 40*F temperatures in our homes (ever see frozen ice in a toilet bowl?), no running water (no electricity to run city pumps/ treatment), and often no gas if the neighborhood doesn't have it. Outside, the roads are two inches of solid ice. Highways had construction equipment and sand to clear them, but here in Austin neighborhood roads and town streets were just solid ice - no powder, no chains, just rubber on solid ice.

Before anyone blames green energy, note that frozen gas and coal plants (who aren't required to follow regulations, because Texas isn't connected to federal grids) lost 2x the capacity compared to wind and solar.. which actually produced more than forecasted. https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/texas-wind-turbines-frozen/

OP, now that it's thawing out, I would check your grounds by the battery and steering rack that have been problematic for loads of other systems on the truck. Hopefully the truck is still pissed, because most dealers won't do squat unless a code is stored or they can recreate the problem. Unfortunately I can't really offer comparison, because my 2WD truck sat it out while our AWD Hyundai with center diff lock was out doing emergency deliveries.

obrien

Reaction score
[offtopic] As a fellow Austiner -> the power overload leading to outage was a real problem and we should make sure it won't happen again!

But besides that we caused the other problems ourselves. People aggressively buying everything like the word should end, driving on totally underequipped cars (and with not experience) just to get to gas station to buy twinkies and beer etc.. That was very sad to see.

I had to help a lady to reverse steer back into her line, when she tried to join a road (turning right) and end up with spinning wheels crossing both lines. Of course she had totally worn out tires on rear wheel drive old *** truck. Once she was straight in her line it got some traction but I would not want her behind me on the stoplights.

Hell it is still impossible to buy anything but dry food. Shameful frankly [/offtopic]

Drewster

Reaction score
[offtopic] As a fellow Austiner -> the power overload leading to outage was a real problem and we should make sure it won't happen again!

But besides that we caused the other problems ourselves. People aggressively buying everything like the word should end, driving on totally underequipped cars (and with not experience) just to get to gas station to buy twinkies and beer etc.. That was very sad to see.

I had to help a lady to reverse steer back into her line, when she tried to join a road (turning right) and end up with spinning wheels crossing both lines. Of course she had totally worn out tires on rear wheel drive old *** truck. Once she was straight in her line it got some traction but I would not want her behind me on the stoplights.

Hell it is still impossible to buy anything but dry food. Shameful frankly [/offtopic]
Hear, hear- the amount of people that decided to go out on the ice without even thinking first was shocking (but not that shocking, I suppose, based on how crappy they drive normally).

Really sad that the barren shelves and panic buying are likely just going to be thrown in the landfill two weeks from now.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I promise it’s not just you guys. We get ice and snow at least once a yr usually in my part of Georgia. People act like the world is ending every time lol. Groceries getting wiped out like it’s never gonna warm up again.

Mate514

Reaction score
The difference is that Texas does not have equipment to clear roads, many houses only have an electric heat pump that uses the Air Conditioner (no furnace), and shedding heat during summer is the primary building objective - not keeping it in. I've driven in Colorado, Wyoming, and Indiana during the winter, often in the negatives... but you could drive on a salted road or through some ruts in the snow and get to a warm, powered destination. In Texas, many had to deal with 40*F temperatures in our homes (ever see frozen ice in a toilet bowl?), no running water (no electricity to run city pumps/ treatment), and often no gas if the neighborhood doesn't have it. Outside, the roads are two inches of solid ice. Highways had construction equipment and sand to clear them, but here in Austin neighborhood roads and town streets were just solid ice - no powder, no chains, just rubber on solid ice.

Before anyone blames green energy, note that frozen gas and coal plants (who aren't required to follow regulations, because Texas isn't connected to federal grids) lost 2x the capacity compared to wind and solar.. which actually produced more than forecasted. https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/texas-wind-turbines-frozen/

OP, now that it's thawing out, I would check your grounds by the battery and steering rack that have been problematic for loads of other systems on the truck. Hopefully the truck is still pissed, because most dealers won't do squat unless a code is stored or they can recreate the problem. Unfortunately I can't really offer comparison, because my 2WD truck sat it out while our AWD Hyundai with center diff lock was out doing emergency deliveries.
Never understood why would someone buy a non-4x4 truck. Even if you don’t see snow usually, don’t you want your truck to be capable of achieving the task they are made for? I mean no disrespect, just don’t understand the logic behind that choice.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Never understood why would someone buy a non-4x4 truck. Even if you don’t see snow usually, don’t you want your truck to be capable of achieving the task they are made for? I mean no disrespect, just don’t understand the logic behind that choice.
Guess nobody ever had to go anywhere before 4x became available.
Theres a whole flame thread on that already...

It’s dumb drivers with poor tires more than anything. As a poster from Austin mentioned, theres 2” of solid ice.
I’d take a car with studded snows or cable/chains before an empty bed 4x with all season tires.

Mate514

Reaction score
Guess nobody ever had to go anywhere before 4x became available.
Theres a whole flame thread on that already...

It’s dumb drivers with poor tires more than anything. As a poster from Austin mentioned, theres 2” of solid ice.
I’d take a car with studded snows or cable/chains before an empty bed 4x with all season tires.
[/QUOTE
I live in the snow 6 months/year but never saw a car with chains! I see studded tire, but they limit place you can go, no commercial interior parking would accept them. I prefer a 4x4 with winter tire. To get back on topic, the only problem people have in the north with these trucks is the air ride. But otherwise they work perfectly.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Lived in Portland area for 6 years, on ice there’s really nothing you can do except use radial cables, old fashioned chains or studs. 1 more tire spinning doesn't help and a locker is worthless.

Packed snow, loose snow etc then yes 4x helps. Ice just is a disaster waiting to happen...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Maybe people who don’t want to shovel ****t all year long!
Just leave em outside...
I grew up with horses. Hay burners and “sheet” makers... thats what a teenager thought anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread