5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas Heat causing Issues?

Txmade

Reaction score
Could the Texas summer heat cause issues with the radio? I have had a few times where when I am connected to CarPlay the radio will freeze and audio is silent and maps just shows a black screen. The comfort button works but audio and nav doesn’t work.
The only way to clear it is to turn off the truck and wait about 10 min then restart and everything normally works then.
I know with smartphones if they get to hot they will get sluggish and turn off, so could that happen with these radios?

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could the Texas summer heat cause issues with the radio? I have had a few times where when I am connected to CarPlay the radio will freeze and audio is silent and maps just shows a black screen. The comfort button works but audio and nav doesn’t work.
The only way to clear it is to turn off the truck and wait about 10 min then restart and everything normally works then.
I know with smartphones if they get to hot they will get sluggish and turn off, so could that happen with these radios?
It could be. When we were running heat indexes near 110 here I had some weird stuff happening with the e-brake, rear collision detection and also the uconnect interface but it returned back to normal after a restart. I did not have to wait to restart as long as you. I didn't get too freak out too much because I bought the extended warranty and I'm taking my notes... lol

timtlu

Reaction score
Weird. I'm in central Texas and my volume wouldn't work this morning either (first and only case). Everything else including nav, media inputs etc. worked fine. Parked in garage overnight though, so not heat related in my case. I think it might have been related to reinstall of Android Auto (first time in truck since deleting cache etc.) or shifting into reverse too quickly before everything got loaded. Next time on everything was fine.

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spend too much time on this site but after reading all the complaint posts that may be related to heat (to name one, the infamous AC issue) I am wondering if RAM is testing the trucks for a prolonged time in hot, humid climates and not just temperate Michigan. Just throwing it out there. I don't want to start a sh$t war but I sure would hope they have tried to run them in all climates. I see they are trying to move into the saudi arabia market but I'd imagine that it is not the same degree of combined humidity and heat in the mid south.

Txmade

Reaction score
Today when it happened I felt the screen and it was very warm, like abnormally warm. I even pushed the power button on the radio to turn it off .
I wish there was a way to soft reset the radio with out either unhooking battery or turning the truck off for at least 10 min.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't observed that behavior, but anything is possible. About the only thing I've seen is that the volume might start out muted after a remote start, but the screen is on and touching the soft or physical controls un-mutes it...so that may be by design.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I spend too much time on this site but after reading all the complaint posts that may be related to heat (to name one, the infamous AC issue) I am wondering if RAM is testing the trucks for a prolonged time in hot, humid climates and not just temperate Michigan. Just throwing it out there. I don't want to start a sh$t war but I sure would hope they have tried to run them in all climates. I see they are trying to move into the saudi arabia market but I'd imagine that it is not the same degree of combined humidity and heat in the mid south.

Guaranteed they test these vehicles in very extreme conditions, in simulated climate chambers in their labs, and many, many places across the US (typically Arizona for extreme heat, Colorado for extreme altitude, etc.).

I'd wonder if these issues described above are the result of a recent Uconnect update, just coincidence. Those of you who are now experiencing these issues, did you local weather really change that much overnight?

Angry Ram

Reaction score
hello there
the temp here is 120 F to 130 F and my ram runs great no issue at all with uconnect screen and i had the car since may 2019
if the heat is the problem then i would have the same issue
the only thing i am having issue with the A/C the new 5th gen ram can't keep up with this Weather unlike the 4th gen had better A/C

best regards

Users who are viewing this thread