5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas freeze, truck will not start!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I highly recommend watching the Project Farm video on YouTube where he tests diesel anti-gel additives. Some of the more commonly available ones are pure garbage. The Power Service "Diesel 911" product, which is supposed to be THE product for people who are caught by surprise like the OP, was particularly bad and froze up like a popsicle at subfreezing temps.

I realize that Texans are saying it's unusually cold there, but I personally don't think there's an excuse. Between the 7-10 day weather forecasts we have these days and the owners manual information, everybody should have known that a diesel engine needs fuel additive prior to winter weather.

I like the idea of moving the truck to a heated garage for several hours to thaw everything out, then use a quality anti-gel in slightly higher than recommended dosage. Just because the pump and filter housing allegedly have pre-heaters, that doesn't do anything for the fuel that's in the lines, injectors, and tank. You do not want to make a habit of running these trucks in cold weather with no additives. The fuel injection pump has a poor reputation as it is and it doesn't need any added stress.

Users who are viewing this thread