5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Texas freeze, truck will not start!

dizzy1127

Reaction score
Hello, first time RAM diesel owner, have a 2020 ram 1500 diesel. Texas froze over, and i tried to start the truck this morning. Turned over a few times, then shut off. Gelled diesel? block is too cold?

What are my possible solutions? I have no built in block heater as far as i can tell on spec sheet, diesel was filled a week ago.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you read and follow the owners manual for cold weather starts? Are you running Stanadyne or another anti gel additive? When you filled up was it #1 or #2 diesel?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My brother is down in Port Isabel (Mexico border) as we type, sitting in a frozen over rv park w/o water or power... definately people feeling your pain!
There maybe additives you can pour in but then again you can’t drive to get them... hard to warm up your truck when you don't have power...

Willwork4truck

Reaction score

1613405908575.jpeg

This is a partial quote from that 2019 article:
“...We used to own a towing company and unfortunately for our customers, we have seen plenty of gelling causing vehicles to not start in the winter.”

Diesel fuel, especially #2 Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel that is common to all services stations, will ‘gel’ as the paraffin in the diesel fuel starts to crystallize and freeze. With enough cold it will produce a solid wax-like substance that can clog the entire fuel system. It is similar to how a candle once it is lit warms the wax and the wax becomes a free-flowing liquid, then as it cools it becomes solid again. A similar process takes place when diesel fuel begins to crystalize during cold weather. When the weather is close to 10 to 15 degrees Fahrenheit*, gelling starts to occur and can clog the fuel system (*depending on the source and quality of fuel, gelling can occur as high as 20 degrees.”
(End of copied portion)

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gelled fuel for sure. I'm sure Texas doesn't have the additives that we get up north in North.
I've started my truck at -20 with zero issues and no block heater.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gelled fuel for sure. I'm sure Texas doesn't have the additives that we get up north in North.
I've started my truck at -20 with zero issues and no block heater.
Agree. We do have additives as I always used Stanadyne when driving from Texas to Michigan in the winter but most don’t use them here because we typically don’t see these temps. And most of the local Texas filling stations (truck stops excluded and perhaps Amarillo) don’t typically sell a #1 or winter blended diesel which can cause the problem for those with diesel daily drivers.

dizzy1127

Reaction score
So is my truck stuck until the freezing temps pass oe is there a rescue additive that will work?

dizzy1127

Reaction score
Manual has no mention of a cold start process that is applicable as it only talks about block heater

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So is my truck stuck until the freezing temps pass oe is there a rescue additive that will work?

I've owned five diesels in my life going back to 1986 - in Alaska - and my experience has always been it's easier to get it into a warm garage than to wait for an additive to "thaw" or "melt" the gelling. Even then it will be a good six to eight or even twelve hours depending upon the temp in the garage. Sorry to hear about your troubles as I've been there once when I got a batch of #2 when they were advertising #1. Temps in Houston are supposed to be in the 70s by Sunday but I don't know how your temps in north Texas will be...

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Manual has no mention of a cold start process that is applicable as it only talks about block heater

I owned two of the previous model Ecodiesel and they had grid heaters. I think the new model does too. What I recall is in severe cold weather they recommended cycling the grid heater a couple of times before trying to start it. Press the start button or turn the key and wait for the curly que light to go out but don't start it. Then do the same thing immediately but when the curly que light goes out proceed to start it. But, if your diesel is gelled in the line or the filter, this won't do you any good but worth a try.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'd say try and get it into a warm garage and maybe put a space heater aimed at the fuel tank (from a safe distance obviously). Then get an additive in the tank and start it and let it run

Mchurch52

Reaction score
It’s 17 degrees here in NW Louisiana, just tried my Gen 3 Ecodiesel to see if it would start. Fortunately, it cranked right up. I let it run for a few minutes and it seemed to be fine. I do use Hot Shots EDT at every fill up, not really an anti-gel additive but maybe it helped. It’s going down to 3 degrees over night, so we shall see.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s 17 degrees here in NW Louisiana, just tried my Ecodiesel to see if it would start. Fortunately, it cranked right up. I let it run for a few minutes and it seemed to be fine. I do use Hot Shots EDT at every fill up, not really an anti-gel additive but maybe it helped.
Yes sir, it does the job. See attached as it lowers the freeze point of the water in the diesel. Good you were using it...lowering pour point of diesel in winter is how you stay ahead of gelling. Dad drove truck and I remember his old International Transtar gelled up one winter on the highway. I was a kid and had to help dip diesel out of the tanks to fill the fuel filters that we had to replace to get it running again...coldest I've been in my life and never forgot the lesson of using an additive.

HSS-EDT-TDS.pdf (hotshotsecret.com)

Mchurch52

Reaction score
Yes sir, it does the job. See attached as it lowers the freeze point of the water in the diesel. Good you were using it...lowering pour point of diesel in winter is how you stay ahead of gelling. Dad drove truck and I remember his old International Transtar gelled up one winter on the highway. I was a kid and had to help dip diesel out of the tanks to fill the fuel filters that we had to replace to get it running again...coldest I've been in my life and never forgot the lesson of using an additive.

HSS-EDT-TDS.pdf (hotshotsecret.com)
That’s good to know, thanks! For as little as EDT costs, it seems like a no brainer for all of the supposed benefits.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The shame is I recall my Ram Owners manual for my 2nd gen Ecodiesel stating no additives were needed or recommended. That, IMHO, is simply poor advice. Hopefully they changed it in the new 3rd gen Ecodiesel manuals.

And yes, I just checked - what a shame!

Page 507 of the 2021 Ram 1500 Owners Manual
 Commercially available fuel additives are not necessary for the proper operation of your diesel engine.
 Number 1 Ultra Low Sulfur diesel fuel should only be used where extended arctic conditions (-10°F or -23°C) exist.

But when you look at page 156 of the same manual, it states fuel additives below 20 degrees F!

Last edited:

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quite funny listening to Texas having weather issues and NOT A PEEP from the Alaskan folks.
Because us Alaskans know the weather we are having currently in Texas is springtime in Alaska! 😃

With that said, my prayers go out for the folks who are suffering with power outages, no water, diesels that won't start as it can be a real hardship on folks.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP mentioned it and I was curious as I will have an EcoDiesel soon. Does the EcoDiesel come standard with the block heater itself? I know you can order the Cold Weather Group with the Grille Cover and the Block Heater (believe it’s just the cord), but it was too late before I could add it. Was wondering if the actual heater was standard or not.

Interesting to see all the Texans have issues now when people who live up North in snow belts like me have no issue. Or even Alaska. Kinda silly.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience with my 2nd Gen Ecodiesel is it had the block heater installed but no cable. I had to purchase one and got it at Geno’s.

As for the Texans having issues that snow country folks typically don’t, please remember this is not a typical winter in Texas. It’s all relative. Heck, when I was transferred to Texas from Alaska I’d never worn shorts in my life...it took a couple good hearted Texans to explain I’m going to die in the heat if I don’t adapt. Kindness and the elements go both ways... 😁

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Big Spring/Midland TX area of the panhandle don't have such lovely winters... people forget just how varied Tx is. Darn cold weather often.

Users who are viewing this thread