5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Test drove Badlander

Methodman04

Reaction score
I have never owned a lifted vehicle or driven one until today. I want to get into some weekend trail run adventuring. To say the least the vehicle was a BEAST. Curious how it would have performed off-road. I currently own a 2021 crew cab 4x4 lamarie and love it. Being new to the lift game instead of trading in I wonder if it would be cheaper buying the aftermarket items on the Badlander would be a better route and save $$$. I have the night edition and after test driving the inside of the vehicle is the same. Only the outside is different……thoughts?

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I'm going on my 3rd Ram with a 6" lift. A 2013 with 6" BDS, 2021 with 6" Fabtech, and now 2022 with 6" BDS.

2013 I bought everything myself and had it installed - least desirable option in my opinion
2021 I bought from the dealer already done, similar to a badlander - Great option because you can drive it before purchase and it's covered under warranty
2022 I bought the truck from the dealer, but I also am having the dealer to do the install for all the aftermarket parts. The good thing is I get to pick out exactly what I want and it doesn't have the crazy markup like a Badlander or Black Widow has. Nothing like an $82,000 SCA Black Widow with halogen headlights o_O

If you want off road performance, actual off road performance a taller lift is not what you want. That 2"-3.5" is the sweet spot. New coilovers, not spacers. The 6" spacer lifts work perfect for my needs. I go through mudholes, fire roads etc. It takes a little getting used to parking and all, but I've GOT to have it. Love sitting high as ****e.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I've always had 4x4s, but before my 2021 Longhorn, I had a 2012 2WD LoneStar crew cab and loved it. Last year there was a Black Widow at a local stealership that caught my eye, and I decided I wanted it... right up until they pulled their usual crap (bait-n-switch) and I learned that the $59,500 sticker was nowhere close to their $85K+ asking price. No way in Hell am I paying that much for a truck.

So, I went on the hunt for a '21 Laramie Limited that I could 'kind of' transform into my own Black Widow-like vehicle, with a mild lift, the cool wheels, a Magnaflow, and without all of the extra SCAP Black Widow stuff that costs a ton of money and didn't really appeal all that much to me, anyway. My wife found my Longhorn with the 22s (that look almost the same as the Black Widow's 22s) for the same list price as the Black Widow and I decided to get it instead. I have a MaxTrac 3" Front/1.5" Rear lift/level kit ready to go, and will swap on some 35x12.50/R22s (most likely Recon Grapplers) when I finally wear out the crappy stock Goodyears. After that, swap the factory muffler for a Magnaflow Direct-Fit unit. Total cost for getting 'almost' the same truck (without all the proprietary BS) will be less than $3K - which beats the Hell out of an extra $25K from the stealership. The only things mine won't have is 3" more lift, a panoramic sunroof (who wants that in West Texas, anyway), a tuner, aftermarket exhaust, and goofy-looking spider logos everywhere. I know there's more to it than that, but all of the other performance goodies on the Badlanders and Black Widows aren't really all that necessary, for my needs anyway.

Depending on how much you want to actually do to your truck, doing it yourself isn't all THAT bad. Even having an off-road shop do the hard bits is still coming out ahead of the game money-wise, if that's a consideration. But, there is also merit to having it all installed by the stealership, especially when it comes time for warranty issues - and, still comes in way cheaper than the $82K truck with the Halogens.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't know what a Badlander was, so I looked it up. First one I found was $93k...for a modified Bighorn (!)

For that price, I'd say skip the 395hp Bighorn and get a 702hp TRX. You could get a Level 2 TRX for around $90k.

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I'm going on my 3rd Ram with a 6" lift. A 2013 with 6" BDS, 2021 with 6" Fabtech, and now 2022 with 6" BDS.

2013 I bought everything myself and had it installed - least desirable option in my opinion
2021 I bought from the dealer already done, similar to a badlander - Great option because you can drive it before purchase and it's covered under warranty
2022 I bought the truck from the dealer, but I also am having the dealer to do the install for all the aftermarket parts. The good thing is I get to pick out exactly what I want and it doesn't have the crazy markup like a Badlander or Black Widow has. Nothing like an $82,000 SCA Black Widow with halogen headlights o_O

If you want off road performance, actual off road performance a taller lift is not what you want. That 2"-3.5" is the sweet spot. New coilovers, not spacers. The 6" spacer lifts work perfect for my needs. I go through mudholes, fire roads etc. It takes a little getting used to parking and all, but I've GOT to have it. Love sitting high as ****e.
what mpg you get?

n9ne4

Reaction score
Couldn't imagine buying one when TRXs are going for under MSRP. Your money but they don't seem to do better than stock on resale values used!

Users who are viewing this thread